Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I wanna sewing table!!!! >

I wanna sewing table!!!!

I wanna sewing table!!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:07 PM

Default Great sewing table tutorial...

Search on QB for sewing tables.. I posted pictures of mine, made from a Margarita McManus tutorial... loved it so much that we made a second one for another sewing machine!

Here's her tutorial..

http://www.squidoo.com/sewingtable
Old 09-22-2012, 02:57 PM

I bought my table used, I don't know what brand it is, but I will tell you what I like and do not like about it to help you in making your choice. I live in a small townhouse and don't have much room. My sewing room is also a 9' x 11' guest room. The table itself is 20" deep by 48" long. It has a leaf that folds up to make it 40" deep. The support for the leaf is the full height of the table and rests on the floor, so it is good and sturdy. The table and support are on wheels. My table has an insert made for my machine. It has a hydraulic lift which makes is easy to raise and lower the machine. The cutout for the machine comes out and a solid insert goes in so I can use the table for cutting and other things. I can also use that when I have a guest, the machine is safely stored away below and the guest can use the table. It only has one drawer, but I was able to purchase Sterlite drawers which fit under that drawer and keep everything within easy reach. I have fibromyalgia which means I live with a lot of pain, the hydraulic lift helps a lot and I also use a chair on wheels with an adjustable back and height which helps me change the pressure points when I sew for any length of time. The table was expensive, even used, but for me it was worth it. I hope this helps. There were many good ideas on the thread, much cheaper ones. I appreciate everyone's input so much.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM

Here is a picture of mine it is 40" x 60" and move up and down to any height you need.... it also has a 40 x 60 cutting mat on it, and it pivots into an upright position when you don't need it. It is made by Horn - the people who make the sewing cabinets. I love it! It was quite pricey £700 but I think it was really worth it. Great for sewing on as it can be altered to the right sewing height so you don't get the sore back and shoulders and the same when cutting...no more bad backache!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364697[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]364698[/ATTACH]

Hugs

Caroline
Attached Thumbnails horn-hilo-storage-position.jpg   hilo.jpg  
Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM

Boston 1954: That is what I have (2 of them) - I also like that I can rearrange my room on a whim - - - and I seem to get a lot of whims. LOL :-)

Marysewfun
Old 09-22-2012, 07:20 PM

One of the tables that I love is a $39 table from Sams. It has adjustable legs and I use one for cutting and I can lower it and it makes a great sewing table for me also. It is about 2X4. Inexpensive and for about $80, you can get a cutting table and a sewing table.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by phannie1 View Post
i just got a "taylormade" sewing machine cabinet.
I like the fact it will close up when i need to room again for guest.
It was put together, we just had to add wheels and the handles.
[attach=config]364532[/attach]

very nice!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time for these thoughtful responses. You are great! Now I have to decide, that will be the hard part. Take care all
Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

I have 2 hard plastic tables that have adjustable legs. One is 6 ft long that I have in my quilting room and one 4 ft one that I have in my family room. They are really good because the height is adjustable and they fold up to almost nothing when you need to put them away.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:13 PM

i went to home depot...bought 2 bathroom vanity cabinets (because im short and the kitchen cabinets were taller)...bought a kitchen countertop to place on top...then for my sewing table, bought a matchine countertop, cut to the size i needed, had a hole drilled matching my 6600 janome & placed it on banquet table legs that fold if i need to disassemble...took some time to figure the dimensions but has been well worth it...i have cutting & sewing room now...hope it helps...monica in hot again texas
Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 PM

I bought a old Singer sewing machine stand at a garage sale(the old cast metal, that the self powered machines used). I don't think I paid over $25.00 (probably less) My husband has been in construction for 40 years and brought home a couple of broken pieces of marble. I had the largest one cut square so it's about 30"X 25". I've bought a sew steady table for my sewing machine, which sits on the marble top. i have a good office chair, so I can adjust the height that I need. Since this room occasionally gets used as a guest room I have a base that doesn't take much room, and looks good with out much price.