Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want to cry my eyes out :'-( >

I want to cry my eyes out :'-(

I want to cry my eyes out :'-(

Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 AM

So many times I have measured for backing fabric and been inches short, here is what I do Before I sew it to the quilt back, I plan borders on the back of the quilt, guess what they add interest and look god when you fold one edge back on the bed, in fact I do this a lot. I put the border on all 4 sides and it looks like it was planned. BUT I always figure out the yardage first. Think the suggestion for adding borders top and bottom would also work for your dilema.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
If she is so laid back about it, I'm not sure why she will mind another color strip along the bottom. Maybe a coordinating color--and there she can center her label. I certainly wouldn't lose sleep about it if I weren't planning on it being a reversible quilt.
That's a wonderful idea! Also, add nice words to it like, "Sweet Dreams" and tell her when she turns the top of the quilt down, she will see her welcoming wish for the night! I frequently add little messages to my quilts for the ones I love, some hidden in blocks.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 PM

I ordered a huge backing for the quilt. I tore off extra on sides leaving several inches over. I then tore bottom off for same reason; big mistake it tore 'crooked' What a mess but luckily it was a patterned backing and I had lots of fabric left over so I found same spot, overlayed it and slipstitched it together and finished quilting it. No one knew what a mess I had made and camouflaged. I'm sure your friend won't mind an extra seam at the bottom. Use your extra fabric from the sides and quilt on!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

Hope it all ends well
Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 PM

This happened on a charity quilt I was quilting for a group at the Coast. I was able to trim from the sides and add to the back. I was left wondering if I had loaded it wrong in the first place ...
Old 04-06-2013, 10:21 PM

It seems there is a simple solution to this for the future. I simply lay the pieced top of the quilt on the backing fabric to make sure I have 4-5 inches extra backing all around.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by toolazy View Post
I munged up one of my own quilts (making it for myself) in similar fashion. I added a different fabric at the bottom. What's another stripe among friends? Especially if it's on the back.

Hope you and client find something that works and that makes you happy.
++

Sounds like a sensible solution!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 PM

I would measure right through the middle top to bottom. Cut right across the middle and another 5 or 6 inches of another material that compliments what is already there.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
So I am quilting a quilt for a gal, she made back in like 99 and its super pretty but I am thinking they may not make this backing print anymore for material. Anyway, I knew it was going to be tight as far as her backing size fitting the top..............as I measured and remeasured....agh my greatest fear...I am at the bottom now and the backing is 5inches too short!!!!!!!!!!! I want to die, I emailed her and am praying she has more of that backing laying around her house she can sew on, but with my luck she won't and will have to cut the bottom border shorter...at this point it makes me never want to quilt for someone again...the only other option is take what few inches are left along the edges, trim that off and sew it onto the bottom backing, then reload it and finish quilting....and this was a bear paw queen size pattern that she had me do SID on and it took forever now this!

Has this ever happened to anyone? Please tell me I'm not the only one! :'''''-(
I feel your pain! I just got my long arm about 4 week ago. The first quilt (fortunately it was a small quilt!) I put on it after my practice sessions on plain fabric sandwiches was going great. I was so proud of myself. I was ready to finish the last of the quilt and Oh No! Plenty of batting, but the backing was 2 inches too short. After threatening to throw it away and never quilt another quilt, I calmed down and took it off the machine and sewed a strip of the backing fabric on the bottom---Fortunately, I had a little extra backing fabric! I made a label with the new name---A Comedy of Errors---my name and date. I will keep it so that I can look back and laugh. I'm just glad it was mine and not someone else's quilt. That is why I won't quilt for anyone else. Maybe the customer can find some fabric that will add character to the back of her quilt. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 AM

No way cutting it shorter, just add another different piece on and call it a day. No big deal!