Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a embroidery machine...LQS trying to talk me into 300E Janome >

I want a embroidery machine...LQS trying to talk me into 300E Janome

I want a embroidery machine...LQS trying to talk me into 300E Janome

Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM

The 300E is a very good machine and does have a spring loaded F hoop for purchase that would allow you to put quilts in it to quilt. They would only be a 4x4 size but doable. Also the 350E has a few more features, color screen, excepts jump drive. A little more money but nice. Good luck I have had the 8000, 9000, 10000 now have the 11000 and plan to trade up if possible. Love my Janome!!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:44 PM

Have had Janome 9500 for 4+ yrs. Paid $1500 for it. I used the embroidery often at first. I was surprised at the amount of other supplies, stabilizers, embroidery thread I needed. Now, I do not embroidery so often, so I use it as a regular sewing machine for quilting and garments. It is a workhorse and made to do many stitches. Inside, it has many metal parts, which makes it too heavy for carrying around. I am very happy with this machine and it comes with many attachments and decorative stitches. I do not, however, like the zipper foot!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:00 PM

I think you should buy the best one you can with the biggest hoop you can buy. I'm on my 3rd embr machine a Bernina 830, think this is it for me! Yes its a pricey one but it sews and embr like a dream! It has a Jumbo hoop that you can do a jacket back. Also having a embr machine there are other things you will need stablizer and more stablizer of all kinds and the thread lots of colors of that too! I have been collect all of that for years and never buy unless its on sale or at a quilt show sale! Lots of bucks for the extras too!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
I don't think I can help with your decision, but one of my friends came to mind when I read your post. She bought a Pfaff which did embroidery and within 4 months upgraded to another Pfaff that did more embroidery. She isn't a close friend, so I don't know the details of her machines, but I thought the fact that she upgraded so soon might be useful? Every quilter is different, so now I "am thinking" this might be worthless information? The shop (where I bought my non-embroidery Pfaff, allows customers to upgrade with sort of a trade in thing like car dealerships do.)

I think the advice about being comfortable with your dealer is a good one. Classes accompanied both my machine and my friend's, plus free machine cleaning for 3 years.
My Pfaff dealer Will give us full purchase price towards a more expensive machine within the first 6 months of purchase if we upgrade.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 PM

I have a Janome 300E that I bought from someone local used on $600 2 years ago and it works fine. you an put up to a 5 x 7 hoop on it and it you purchase the giga hoop you can embroider a larger size by doing each half at a time. I use it a lot and have had no problems at all. the 300E is the older model replaced by the 350 E. Once and awhile i have seen new 300Es at Hancock Fabrics for $899.

The 300E goes for about $999 on ebay, so the price appears to be right and you can always go back to the dealer and make a nusiance of yourself if you have problems and they won't fix them.
The 300E takes a PMCIA card with a compact flash inserted. you can easily download designs from your laptop to the compact flash and then insert them in the machine. I only load onto the compact flash what I want to sew out to keep the load time on the machine down, and keep my source files on the pc well backed up.
the 350E reads a flash drive = thumb drive instead.
The 350 E doesn't handle an larger hoops than the 300E
Old 06-14-2011, 05:57 PM

I love my Bernina Artista 180 upgraded to 185. I bought the machine in 2000 and embroidered a lot with it. Now I can embroider 6 x 10, before upgrade it was 5 x 7. I am a firm believer of Bernina. The artista I saw on ebay for 450 dollars and I paid back then $ 5000. I quilt ,sew and embroider and loving it.
Look my aviator I embroidered and sewed it with my Bernina artista.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM

Bear with me because I haven't read all the posts...but I definitely would get it.
Can't you do regular sewing (piecing) with it also?
I have an embroidery machine but have yet to do any embroidery with it ....kll :shock: :-o , but I have pieces (and machine quilted ) numerous quilts with it. It ends up nice having two machines with which to piece, there is always one when the other is getting cleaned, plus I can work on two quilt tops at the same time! HA!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 PM

I have a sewing, embroidery machine < Janome 9500, and it is a dream. I just got it but have been able to do some embroidery and it was easy to use and came out great. It also sews just plsin sewing great too. I have two machines in case I want to embroider and sew at the same time.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by jollyquilting
I have a sewing, embroidery machine < Janome 9500, and it is a dream. I just got it but have been able to do some embroidery and it was easy to use and came out great. It also sews just plsin sewing great too. I have two machines in case I want to embroider and sew at the same time.
yep, that is my machine, and she is a dandy!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bluebonnet
I went to my LQS to look at a used Brother 5700 for $449. I had already read reviews on it, people saying they couldn't find parts-hoops and such for it. So I was skeptical about it anyway. When I went to the shop, they told me I really shouldn't get it, for all the same reasons. They started telling me about Janome 300E machine. I really like it, but am debating about spending that much on it. It's regularly $1299 and he told me he could give it to me for $999. Still that's a lot to spend on a machine I may not use every day or even every week. I don't want to buy a machine though that does the 3x5 and wish I had spent a little more and gotten one that does 5x7 area stitching. Can some of you tell me the great things your machines do and which machines you have?
TIA
Bobbi
It would be well worth the money if you can use it for sewing as well as embroidery. I have a Babylock Elure and I use it for both embridery & sewing and only paid 1200 for it.I now have the BabylockElure Plus and it was 1500/ My daughter inherited the Elure