Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want to fussy cut a Horton from a Seuss print and applique onto a block.  Best way? >

I want to fussy cut a Horton from a Seuss print and applique onto a block. Best way?

I want to fussy cut a Horton from a Seuss print and applique onto a block. Best way?

Old 04-05-2014, 04:46 PM

Default I want to fussy cut a Horton from a Seuss print and applique onto a block. Best way?

Suggestions for best method for appliqueing a Horton onto the front of a quilt? I want it to be easiest way possible WITHOUT using satin stitch. Ideas?

The only way I've ever done applique is probably the worst way possible. Trace onto the right side of fabric and baste and needle turn the whole way. I had lots of pointy circles.

Thanks.

Last edited by TeresaA; 04-05-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

There are several ways to prepare it for appliqué.
You could put it face down on a dryer sheet and use a small machine stitch to outline stitch it. Cut a slit in the dryer sheet and turn it right side out. The problem with this would be the delicate trunk that would not turn well.

You could cut a freezer paper shape to match the appliqué. You could iron a narrow seam allowance from around Horton and stick it to the shiny side of the freezer paper all around the edge. Hand appliqué the prepared Horton down to the background, cut a slit in the center of the background to remove the paper.

You could iron freezer paper to the back of Horton, cut out the shape with a seam allowance and use starch to fold the seam allowance back onto the paper side of the freezer paper. Set the edge well and hand stitch the Horton down to the background after carefully removing the paper.

You could cut Horton from the fabric and use narrow bias tape to outline and stitch it down to a background square.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:16 PM

Love all of your suggestions. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:26 PM

If this is a print on a fabric, why don't you just cut out the picture, cut a piece of heat and bond or some other two sided sticky stuff, and then trim the actual picture....and then iron on to the quilt front and do a blanket stitch? That seems to be the easiest way....what I would suggest.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
If this is a print on a fabric, why don't you just cut out the picture, cut a piece of heat and bond or some other two sided sticky stuff, and then trim the actual picture....and then iron on to the quilt front and do a blanket stitch? That seems to be the easiest way....what I would suggest.
What she said!!! You don't have to do a satin stitch with the heat & bond. I have used a small zig zag with good results
Old 04-05-2014, 05:36 PM

I'm a little concerned that the Horton would get too stiff if I use Heat and Bond. But that is definitely something to consider. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
I'm a little concerned that the Horton would get too stiff if I use Heat and Bond. But that is definitely something to consider. Thank you!

Heat & Bond makes a Feather weight or is it feather lite? Anyway, how big of a piece do you need? PM me your name and address and I will send you a piece big enough to do your appliqué. I did an appliqué quilt using it and the appliqué pieces were about 6x11 and there was 12 blocks. You can't even tell that there is any fusible in the quilt. It drapes just like a regular pieced quilt!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 AM

Well my solution is I gave up on this quilt and am going to do something completely different....but the bright side is I have a scratch quilt for quilting practice, and a charity quilt when I'm done practicing....

I tried several techniques last night. The only one that gave me good results was the flip and sew technique with the dryer sheet. At some point, I'm going to try this with water soluble interfacing.

At the end of the day, I still think applique is definitely not my thing. I've always thought so....
Old 04-06-2014, 06:26 AM

Use the lite Heat and Bond!!
Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 AM

I didn't have freezer paper laying around so I used regular paper on the back side of the fabric. I wrap the seam allowance around the back of the paper and iron it using plenty of starch then remove the paper right before sewing the applique down. I use a matching thread and a small straight stitch right next to the edge of the applique and get what looks to me like good results. My method is a little more time consuming than the freezer paper but I could do it with the materials I have on hand.
I enjoy applique but I can see how it isn't for everyone.
Rodney