Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a long arm machine but no frame............ >

I want a long arm machine but no frame............

I want a long arm machine but no frame............

Old 12-26-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by granny_59
Why are APQS and Handyquilter more expensive than tin lizzie?
You get what you pay for. Just like a Ferrari is more expensive than a Chevy.

There are lots of brands out there, and they vary in prices just like cars do. They also vary in options and in function. There are some sit down versions as well as those that work on table systems.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:16 PM

I have tried several sit down models at different shows and have found out that George has the best stitch, less tension problems and wonderful tech support. I tried the Sweet 16 and not even the sales person at the show could get it to work right. George is more expensive, but with a larger throat than most. Some day I'll have my own George...correction, I already have two, but they are Jorge, not George.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley

There are lots of brands out there, and they vary in prices just like cars do. They also vary in options and in function. There are some sit down versions as well as those that work on table systems.
So you would not advice to buy a tin lizzie then? And those sit down models, could they also be set up on a frame?

Thank you all so much.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:46 PM

Most are set up permanently on a table. They are just an option for those that prefer to move the quilt rather than move the machine. Many people like either one or the other and will not go back and forth between models.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley

So you would not advice to buy a tin lizzie then? And those sit down models, could they also be set up on a frame?

Thank you all so much.
No, I won't advise because *I* haven't tried a Tin Lizzy and I don't know what is right for your quilting needs and your budget! Buying a machine is a personal decision. I'd love to have a Ferrari, but I can't afford one, and I wouldn't advise everyone to buy one!! Try as many as you can. You'll know when you find the right machine!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:48 PM

Dear Shelly

I am searching this board for hours and you come up on a lot of threads and know so much about longarms!

The main problem will be that I will not be able to try out a single one unless I travel to the US......
I think I will go for a sit down model and I would like to have a stitch regulator. I will use the machine only for my quilts so I would spend up to $4000 I would say. I would like to get the biggest throat possible
Old 12-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

You won't get a stitch regulator on a sit down machine, unless you use a Bernina. Stitch regulators (other than the Bernina BSR foot) operate off the frame encoder wheels and tracks.

Dear Shelly

I am searching this board for hours and you come up on a lot of threads and know so much about longarms!

The main problem will be that I will not be able to try out a single one unless I travel to the US......
I think I will go for a sit down model and I would like to have a stitch regulator. I will use the machine only for my quilts so I would spend up to $4000 I would say. I would like to get the biggest throat possible
Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM

I dont understand the word "encoder" (google translate doesnt help) Does that mean it wont work unless you have the machine on the frame?
Is there no home quilting machine with stitch regulator?
Old 12-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

Stitch regulators run off of an encoder wheel that rides the frame tracks. You can add a stitch regulator of sorts to any home machine on a frame, but the only stitch regulator that works without a frame is the Bernina BSR foot, which only works on Bernina sewing machines.

The bernina 820 has a 12 inch throat, and the stitch regulator, and might be suitable for your needs. The BSR foot works by "reading" the fabric, so the stitch regulator on it is actually in the presser foot.

I dont understand the word "encoder" (google translate doesnt help) Does that mean it wont work unless you have the machine on the frame?
Is there no home quilting machine with stitch regulator?
Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 PM

So I will have to go without stitch regulator as I want a quilting machine only. I am set up with everything else.

Thank you for your patience