Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I want to quilt my own

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
    You can quilt large quilts on your home machine quite easily. There is a learning curve and you may not be happy with your first few quilts, but practice does improve results. Check out Leah Day on YouTube...she does beautiful free motion quilting on her home machine.

I'm just learning to free motion quilt, but already I can see the improvement in my style after completing two quilts. It just takes time, but saves a LOT of money.
    That's how I'm learning too. Leah Day takes the fear out of FMQ and I love her techniques!
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I was told to make sample 12" squares and practice. I first tried a baby quilt by going around the design. Then after more practice I bought an embroidery machine and made a quilt with the quilt designs in the squares (I was not confident yet and didn't believe in myself). Now after many quilts I now either do large stippling or follow a stencil marked on the quilt. My own work looks much better than that time-consuming embroidery/quilting. I still do embroidery on quilt squares, but they are just embroidery and I quilt it myself.

Try it on scraps, take a class, or practice with a friend. You can do free motion quilting!
    "Not everything that comes into your head should come out your mouth!"

I've quilted all but one quilt on my home machine. It does take a learning curve. My first freeform quilting - I chose a tree skirt since I only have to look at it for about a month a year. Others do baby quilts that they give away. Practice first on a few potholders and then move on to your quilt. If you just can't bring yourself to do it on your large quilt, use a thick batt and tie it. I prefer using wool yarn (Cascade is perfect).

One method that can be helpful is to add the batting to the sandwich in sections as you progress, so you do not have so much to fit under the arm of a domestic machine.

LoriS, Not sure I get the picture of adding batting in sections. Please explain for us newbies. Thanks, Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    Since I like to quilt so much but really can't afford to have all my tops quilted( I have several done) do any of you own a small quilting machine to do your own? How expensive are they? How easy to operate?
    I own a longarm machine and it sits idle a lot. I can't make quilt tops fast enough to keep it busy all the time. If you could get together with other quilters and "hire" it out when you are not using it you could recoup some of your cost. I have been thinking about "hiring" mine out. There is a learning curve but it is a pretty smooth curve and easy to navigate. BTW mine is computerized.
    Last edited by Ccorazone; 04-08-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Need to add to message

I hand piece and hand quilt. To me it's more relaxing than fighting with a sewing machine--besides that, I can't afford to buy the material and then pay someone to quilt it for me.

Blog Entries
    I purchased a used Pfaff GrandQuilter with a 9" throad on a 10' frame. It was $1500. Check with your local quilt shops or Quilt Guilds to see if they know of anything for sale. I would like to have a 13" - 15" throad machine, but can't afford it right now, so this works for me.

I have a Brother Embroidery machine. I frequently use this for quilting free motion or embroidery files.

I will trace designs on press and seal by Glad and follow the lines.

I would love to pay someone to do this for me or purchase one of those fancy machines. Now my quilts are made by me. Besides, I love doing the quilting part.
    Renea

A quilting I will go......

www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2