Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I Went To EB's Store!!

I Went To EB's Store!!

We took our vacation in Kentucky this year and I made my way over to Paducah!! We were staying near Lexington, but DH still made the 4.5 hour trek with me over to Paducah. We spent the morning at Quilt In The Day where I got to tour Eleanor's upstairs apartment that she stays in when she's in town, see a lot of the actual quilts that she's made on the shows and of course, shop!! Then we grabbed lunch and headed over to the National Quilt Museum and saw some amazing quilts by a lot of talented people. I was in my glory!! At one point, at QIAD, the clerk went up to my husband as I was squealing in delight on the phone with a quilting friend and told him, "She's a bit too excited for me to tell her this right now, so I'll tell you that this back room is all on sale from $2-$4 a yard." LOL!! DH told me after I came up for air. I was so syked!

EB started my love of quilting. Four years back I had to have two, back-to-back surgeries and spent 12 weeks on bed rest. It was driving me crazy, so DH suggested I start to learn to quilt as I always wanted to. I tried reading 'Quilting For Dummies', but with all of the medications that I was on, I could barely focus on the words. So, I found her show one day while I was scanning channels and she really got me through those twelve weeks and ignited my love for quilting. Going to her store was an amazing thing for me. I walked away with some souvenirs, some notions I haven't seen in NY and memories of a wonderful day. So, while this isn't probably newsworthy, I just had to share my excitement!!
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

That sounds wonderful!
    Heather

Sounds like you had an exciting day. It is so neat when DH can share the experience with you. We all have those moments when we go down memory lane. Mine is "Simply Quilts". Learned a lot from Alex and the shows.

Great story, thanks for sharing!!

Blog Entries
    Your Husband helped you the most by having you start to learn to quilt. Give him a big hug, at least before you become addicted to fabric.LOL Well, maybe you have become addicted.

Sounds wonderful!! Thanks for sharing!

Power Poster
    ​Congratulations on your wonderful day!

That's exciting! I'm glad you had a memorable day!

How cool is that?!?!?! Sounds like a lot of fun!

What a great time you had. I, too, remember EB on PBS and giggling when she tossed the fabric over her shoulder. I think the quilt bug bit me when I first watched Georgia Bonesteel's Lapquilting show. I still enjoy watching her when she shows up on the Create channel.

What an awesome day for you!! You have a wonderful hubby!!
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Did you make it to Hancocks of Paducah? I've heard that shop is the stuff of legends.

What an exciting day DH is definitely a keeper

My first quilt (class) was EB's Log Cabin. I've made several of her other patterns. Her directions helped a confused quilter like me!

Blog Entries
    So glad to hear you have overcome your medical issues. Quilting is a very healing art form to enjoy. So glad you got to visit EB's shop and walk away with bargains. Lucky!!!!!

Sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful time in Paducah - someday I'm going to make it there. Isn't it fun to be able to just stop and smell the roses (or feel the fabric).

Blog Entries
    I went to the Paducah Quilt show in April. While there shopped at QIAD for the first time. Will most certainly go again when in in KY.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Oh PS, I so want to go to the Quilt Museum. I am going to make you jealous. Beginning of dec I am going to a retreat and the host is going to be EB. yes.
    http://www.fabricsetc2.com/media/upl..._dream_pdf.pdf
    Quilters Dream Retreat. I went to a the quilt show at rosemont and was talking to the girls at the babylock booth and they told me about this retreat and I am going. this will be my first retreat. ☺☺☺.
    😊 wilburness 😊

Quote Originally Posted by sewmany View Post
    Sounds like you had an exciting day. It is so neat when DH can share the experience with you. We all have those moments when we go down memory lane. Mine is "Simply Quilts". Learned a lot from Alex and the shows.
    Simply Quilts is mine, too. Other than the fact that Alex Anderson was such a delight and an awesome quilter, she had great guests with such great talents. Some of my favorites were Billie Lauder, Eleanor Burns, Laura Nownes, Diana McClun, Mary Ellen Hopkins. Then there was the Stack n-Whack lady Bethany Reynolds and the Peaky and Spike lady Doreen Speckmann. All of these ladies got me hooked on quilting. When I was at home during the vacation months I watched faithfully and really missed them when I went back to school in the fall. Now we have NONE of the quilting shows.

Through this awesome board and the tutorials on Missouri Star Quilt Co. and other sites we can see the best of the best for guidance.

PS 150, this side trip to Paducah will be an inspiration to you for years to come. And... that DH of yours is a real trooper!
    Last edited by GailG; 08-06-2013 at 01:08 AM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I'm close enough to Paducah that I drive down for a day of the big Show. However, you've inspired me to maybe go down for a day this fall. I chose going to Hancock's over EB's QIAD store. I'd have time to do both, plus visit the Quilt Museum, during a less hectic time. (All those vendors during the Show are mind-boggling!)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like EB has helped in your recovery. When I'm home on Saturday mornings, I try to catch her show on PBS. From9:30a.m. thru 12:00 p.m., it's nothing but quilting and sewing. During that time I can get needle work and some housework done at the same time. I try to record the shows, if I remember. Would some day like to see her place.

Blog Entries
    I got excited reading your post! Now you have to plan to go to the show in Paducah next year. I went with my sisters who live in Louisville (I moved to Michigan many, many years ago). You will really squeal at the fabric deals they have at Hancock's and at the vendors displays and of course at Quilt in a day - they also set up in a big barn near the exhibitors building. That's where I met Eleanor Burns who is just too sweet, I bought her book, which she signed and she talked like we knew each other for years. Then we went to her show, sat on the front row for $5 each (the 5 was then taken off whatever you bought at the store or in the warehouse). She was so funny and got the audience to participate in the show, I will never forget it, just too much fun! So, plan on going next year, me and my sisters are already planning on it and an ex-sister-in-law from Virginia is also coming! I took an empty carry on suitcase that came home weighing so much I couldn't pick it up alone!

Blog Entries
    I learned the basics of quilting from Eleanor and her quilt show on TV. She made it so easy and simple. I have a place in my heart for Eleanor!!

Wow, what a wonderful experience you have had! That is so great.

How neat! And you even got to tour her apartment! She is a sweet lady that has taught us all so much. I have taken one class from her, and am signed up for a two day class with her at the end of September.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast