Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I will never again make another table runner >

I will never again make another table runner

I will never again make another table runner

Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM

I prefer the look of a tablerunner with binding...and I think it is easier to do too.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

I like to bind...
Old 04-14-2013, 01:22 PM

I just turned a table runner this morning using Marti Michell's pillow turn method. Loved it! First, halve the back and sew it back together leaving a hole to turn in the center of the seam. Sew the top and backing together with a 1/4" seam allowance, press, then add the batting, trim the batting at the corners, and sew with an 1/8" seam allowance. Turn it, press, pin it, and pin baste it. It looks so much better than my other attempts when I sewed all 3 layers at one time.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:46 PM

I have a favorite table runner with strips that I learned by watching the missouri quilt vidios" she quilts it as she goes and it is sooooo quick and easy. I absolutely loveeeeeeee them and they are bound too.
Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
way back when before I learned quilting I use to make the pointy end table runners you know the usual way two pieces of fabric right sides together sew leave an opening turn and then fight with those seams from rolling back inside to get a good flat pressed seam.....well since I learned how to binde and miter corners(thank you QB members)I been makeing them with binding yesterday a friend ask me to make a quick table runner for her I made it the old way the sewing is the easy part its the turning and getting those seams to lay flat I'll never make them like that again I'll put the wrong sides together and binde them so much easier and faster even with six miters.........dose anybody else feel this way?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM

I am a binder not a turner.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by bobquilt3 View Post
When I turn a seam like that, I do some pressing before I turn it right-side out. After stitching around the edge (leaving a space to turn) place runner with top facing up and backing down on ironing board. Separate the seam allowances and run iron on top of backing SA, pressing the top SA back on itself. You may have to trim point to get it to lay flat. Be sure to press SA of turning space back, too.(placing an old envelope to act as a guile keeps th section straight) Then when you turn it inside out, you are working with on pressed seam that will lay flat and when sewing turningspace you will have a straight fold to work with.

I must add that I only use flannel or a Good weight cotton as batting in TRs and treat that as part of the backing fabric.
Well, Bob, I had to read through this several times to really figure out what you are doing here, but I finally got it. You gave good instructions. It's always easier to get turned seam to look flat and neat if they've been pressed open before turning. That way both pieces of fabric have already been pressed in the right direction.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

I have always bound them...wish I had thought of the other way when in a bind
Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
What I've always done to make crisp edges is to punch out from the inside and pin closely. Then take an iron over the edges with pins still in.

On Sewing with Nancy this morning, Nancy had a TURNING TOOL---------sort of like a miniature old fashioned ice tongs------the ones that picked up a block of ice

I have that turning tool and I LOVE it. But to me the main idea of making a runner that you stitch and turn is to be quick. I find that they are NOT quick, because of all the pressing of seams, nipping points, etc. That all takes time. It is faster for me to make the backing larger than the front and then fold and turn it to the front mitering the points and then stitching it down. Looks like binding, but is faster.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 AM

I enjoy putting the binding on quilts and table runners, not sure I have turned anything so won't say I don't like it or like binding better.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM

I like handsewn binding. To me turning doesn't look as well done...in my opinion. But that's
one thing I love about quilting...doing it your preferred way. No one can say it absolutely HAS
to be this way or that.