Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I will not - - - - >

I will not - - - -

I will not - - - -

Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Oh, I have horror stories about Hancock's Fabrics in my area (they are no longer here now). I never knew what to expect when I went in there. Always a new manager and new employees every other week. The best episode was when I bought 1/2 yard of fabric. The ticket said .5. The cashier a younger woman rang up 5 yards. I said no it's 1/2 yard. She said the ticket says 5 yards. I said no .5 is 50 which is half. Does this bit of fabric look like five yards? She said she didn't know she didn't sew. She called the manager to come 'deal with a customer'. The manager (new, been there for two days, friend of the owner's daughter) bounced over said with a big smile, what's the problem? I said I was charged for 5 yards of fabric and handed her the ticket. She looked and said okay, what's the problem. I said I bought 1/2 yard. She said the ticket says 5!!! I picked up my 1/2 yard and opened it up and was swinging it around my head saying does this look like five freaking yards of fabric???????????????? I left with my fabric and I paid for one half yard.
OMG, Bella, that story has me laughing so hard!!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:07 AM

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I'm grateful our Hancock's is still open for business. My only complaint is the lack adequate salespersons to wait on everyone especially when they run their sales. Also, I've experienced several times going in for a sale item and it is not on the floor. They don't have the manpower to unpack their shipments in a timely manner. Other than that, it is one of 3 places in town where I can get fabric and notions so I'm grateful they are still around.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Oh, I have horror stories about Hancock's Fabrics in my area (they are no longer here now). I never knew what to expect when I went in there. Always a new manager and new employees every other week. The best episode was when I bought 1/2 yard of fabric. The ticket said .5. The cashier a younger woman rang up 5 yards. I said no it's 1/2 yard. She said the ticket says 5 yards. I said no .5 is 50 which is half. Does this bit of fabric look like five yards? She said she didn't know she didn't sew. She called the manager to come 'deal with a customer'. The manager (new, been there for two days, friend of the owner's daughter) bounced over said with a big smile, what's the problem? I said I was charged for 5 yards of fabric and handed her the ticket. She looked and said okay, what's the problem. I said I bought 1/2 yard. She said the ticket says 5!!! I picked up my 1/2 yard and opened it up and was swinging it around my head saying does this look like five freaking yards of fabric???????????????? I left with my fabric and I paid for one half yard.
See now, I would have left the fabric with them!!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Banned

we don't have a hancocks here, but i get that sometimes at Joanns :(
Old 10-01-2009, 07:01 AM

If you find a person you like to work with, who is willing to help you, you will like the fabric store. I have a great lady that works at Walmart in the fabric department. She is so patient and friendly. I take my post-it note pad in and as I find the fabrics I want, I label what I need. I'm a very slow shopper, so she will take 3-4 bolts and cut my yardage as she has time. The bolts go back out for other customers, and by the time I finally choose my last pit of notions, my fabric is cut and ready to go. I call ahead to make sure she is there before I go. However, yesterday, I was in a hurry so Randy and I just stopped in. There was NOBODY in the fabric department and about 20 customers. Randy was getting really angry so I... yes me, got out of my wheelchair and started cutting fabric.

I used my post it notes to label and record who bought what. After nearly finishing all 25 + customers, keeping both a running log and making price tags, the Security Guard came and asked me what I was doing. "Cutting fabric for your customers." "Are you authorized?", "Sure, I come here all the time. I didn't cut paper with the scissors. Not only that, but I sold over $700 in fabric and notions. You should thank me."

NOBODY has said a word. Not a thanks, boo, kiss my foot,or anything.
This morning my friend called me and asked if I was the mystery attendant. (She recognized the sticky notes.) Guess what. Each and every piece of fabric I cut was purchased and paid for. None was swiped. Each sticky not returned to the fabric department and matched up with the log I kept. And now that they know how many people can be there in an evening, they are going to keep a fabric departrment person there until after 12:00 midnight.

I know you don't like to go to Walmart, but it is all I have. Gwyn
Old 10-01-2009, 01:16 PM

I love it Gwyn!! Walmart should send you your very own apron and name tag for those emergency situations!!:)I bet every customer was thrilled to have you and I bet dh took off running to the man department while you were busy!:)Good job!! Skeat