Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I wish they'd make a home sewing machine-- >

I wish they'd make a home sewing machine--

I wish they'd make a home sewing machine--

Old 03-06-2010, 03:50 AM

I just traded up my Baby Lock Ellure for the Elegante, it does have 2 lights, and boy do I love this machine!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:20 AM

Here is the url with pics of the 2 spool machine and the actual spool holder.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...32474011bSuzrM

After looking at the spool bobbin holder, I surmise that engineering something like this today would create a huge revolution in the thread industry. One could only use a specific spool of thread in the holder and we all know what that means to the industry.

Anyway, I would like ALL of the enhancements already on the wish list. I too, do not think it should be necessary for an average person to have to purchase a long arm machine when it is most definitely possible to design a bigger area on a machine.

Why don't several of us write letters to the big companies and ask some of these "WHY" questions and see what kind of answers we get?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:50 AM

The only way companies listen is if it gets enough mail either for or against something or suggestions that aren't going to cost them a lot of money. No one in this day and age is interested in innovation just for the sake of innovation. The money is not there to go into all kinds of R&D, but if enough people write and say I want, they may, and I said may, listen.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:32 AM

I have a quilters dream Babylock and it has almost everything mentioned I love the larger thoat space also the screen tells when the bobbin is low works great for me
Old 03-06-2010, 05:35 AM

Does it have LED lights in the "throat space"? I don't think the machine I saw is a Babylock, but I could be
wrong. I thought it was a shopping show. Maybe not.
Maybe it was a quilters' website.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:43 AM

Indeed! I have a Pfaff sewing machine and recently purchased a Baby Lock Serger. What a transformation in the lighting! :thumbup:
Old 03-06-2010, 05:45 AM

Excellent!! I'm very glad to hear that.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:07 AM

I am not sure what kind of light but it is Babylock Espire
Quilters Dream I have had it for 1 1/2 years it has a super large table large throat plate the light is good sews very good and has a 25 year waranty says no service needed but don't quite understand that but I do like it
Old 03-06-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by vjengels
Those are my wishes also.. in fact, why is the bobbin so small on a long arm? I went to the sewing fstival here in Denver recently, saw someone demonstration a long arm for a couple, she just happened to be showing the bobbin... I asked why the bobbin wasn't the same size as the thread, makes sense to me.... she just looked at me, and said' it's the bobbin'. Seems that you should be able to use another cone of thread as a bobbin so you have the same amount on both sides...
Some longarms have very large bobbins, and some only as big as a regular sewing machine. That's the difference between the 'L' and 'M' size bobbins. I only wanted the M size, for this very reason. It holds about (more/less) 300 yds of threads, depending upon thread thickness.

Can't hold a spool, becuase we use those huge cones, sometimes with 6,000 yds on them :) But a M bobbin means only 1-3 per quilt, depending upon density of quilting. I usually use 1-2 per lap quilt, which is medium denisty.

Debbie in Austin
Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
2. Build the blasted things with 20" throats... after all it IS only a bit of metal and a few wires that have to be extended.
My Hubby has thought of that. He is insistant that someday he is going to ravage a couple of old sewing machines and build me a "Franken-arm." His question is: why, if the longarm has all the parts of my little "shark euro-pro" does it have to cost $20,000.00???
If he is ever successful building his monstrosity, I will most definitely send pictures!! LOL! I will have him paint it green! Until then, I dream of a $20,000 longarm! What is life without dreams?