Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I would love to make a quilted jacket >

I would love to make a quilted jacket

I would love to make a quilted jacket

Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I don't do wearable art, but I have seen a fabulous show on the subject. The lady used a standard jacket pattern and instead of regular fabric, she made patchwork panels and aligned them with the pattern. Can't remember what she used as batting though.

As for the response time on the QB, just be patient, and the answers will come.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 PM

For a quilted jacket I have used muslin for the foundation/batting as I live in Florida. You would cut piece of material larger than required and if printed free motion the design. You may not need to quilt both sides of or all over jacket but you can free motion whatever or how you would like it to look and then wash then cut pattern accordingly. So many options and how you would like it to look - you would end up with a coutour type of garmet. I have also used sweatshirt as base but altered to fit. Good luck
Old 12-17-2009, 03:42 PM

That's doing it the hard way. The best way to get a quilted jacket is to start with a sweatshirt. Cut off your ribbing and cut open your seams. You will have two sleeves, a front and a back. Cut your from down the middle for your opening. You can do all kinds of quilting on the pieces. Cut and flip, raggedy seams, stitch and decorative seams etc. My ASG sewing group did theirs and they were so popular that other groups ask us to come and demonstrate how to make them. Buy your sweatshirt two to three sizes larger than you wear to allow for the shrinking up as you quilt. You can sew on either side depending on whether you want the smooth side next to you or the fluffy side. I like the fluffy cause it's warmer and yes, it does get chilly in Florida.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:02 PM

The sweatshirt use is the best idea to get started. Cut waist and arm ribbing off and cut open the side and arm seams. Now lay it out flat. You have sort of a north, south, east and west look. The first pattern I used suggested not to cut the front until it was either staystitched or patchworked over. this was to give stability so that when the center front was cut it wasn't stretched. I have made three sweatshirt jackets and they wash and wear well. First one is really raggedy looking now but that is fashionable (to me) and I love it. Last one was a stripped raggedy flannel jacket where we sewed widish double
flannel strips together using a 1" seam allowance. When pieces were wide enough we cut out the very plain jacket parts. Sewed the pieces together so that the jacket was flannel self-lined and clipped the outside seam allowances. Fun jacket to wear and warm for my Los Angeles, CA weather.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:04 PM

The sweatshirt use is the best idea to get started. Cut waist and arm ribbing off and cut open the side and arm seams. Now lay it out flat. You have sort of a north, south, east and west look. The first pattern I used suggested not to cut the front until it was either staystitched or patchworked over. this was to give stability so that when the center front was cut it wasn't stretched. I have made three sweatshirt jackets and they wash and wear well. First one is really raggedy looking now but that is fashionable (to me) and I love it. Last one was a stripped raggedy flannel jacket where we sewed widish double
flannel strips together using a 1" seam allowance. When pieces were wide enough we cut out the very plain jacket parts. Sewed the pieces together so that the jacket was flannel self-lined and clipped the outside seam allowances. Fun jacket to wear and warm for my Los Angeles, CA weather.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:17 PM

I made a crazy quilt vest with only the fronts in the crazy quilt fabric. Cut out the fabric first then put all the crazy quilt pieces and stitching, decorations, etc. before finishing the vest which was completely lined.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 PM

have made several quilted jackets,One jacket I quilted the fabric, using a stack and wack design,which looked like a crazy quilt another jacket I used muslin as the batting and then quilted the material then did some couching with decorative threads which I use as an evening jacket. I also used a sweatshirt as a base and fussie cut the material and laid it on the sweatshirt which I opened and laid flat, side seams and front and did a decorative stitch one piece abutting the other or on top of the first piece. I hope I have made sense and this gives you some ideas. Janey
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by cande
Now that I've read everyone's ideas, I'm wondering if it would work to cut the jacket out of flannel, then sew the blocks on and trim then to the flannel size. I'd like to do one in strips- up and down of course, I'm no Twiggy- Hmmmmmmm, something to think about
What you are describing is pretty much a sweatshirt made into a quilted jacket. I am what would be considered a big girl, and this is the type I make. if you need instructions, contact me.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Instructions would be very nice! Pictures would help too, I've never seen a sweatshirt made into a jacket such as has been described.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I just got this in an e-mail.

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...source=QUILTNL