Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I would love to make a quilted jacket >

I would love to make a quilted jacket

I would love to make a quilted jacket

Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

this coming Monday on Sewing with Nancy the show is about making a quilted jacket.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:28 PM

I just finished my first sweatshirt jacket last month and I am IN LOVE WITH IT!!!! I didn't use a pattern, just cut up a sweatshirt, pieced my top to be roughly the size of all the cut up pieces, found backing material roughly the same size, pin baste, quilt, and then serged all the pieces together again with a zipper in the front and reattached the ribbing to the cuffs, collar, and waistband. Viola!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-60254.jpe   attachment-60255.jpe  
Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 PM

I used a jacket pattern I liked and cut the pieces from sweatshirt fabric. Using that as my foundation, I then placed strips of fabric on that and sewed it much like paper piecing, folding over each strip before I sewed on the next one. I pre cut 3 s of strips from each of the fabrics I wanted to use. This gave me a variety of sizes and colors. I used all oriental fabrics. Did the same thing for the sleeves and both front pieces, starting in the center of each piece and working in both directions. I cut wider strips of one of the fabrics for the binding, sewing it on exactly as I do with the binding for my quilts. And don't forget the binding for the sleeves too.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:12 PM

I have made several quilted jackets, I love to do it. I make them all different weights. I know the trend is toward simple, but I enjoy trying to make them more special. I have used silk from the drapery section for the backing. I used flannel for the sleeves as a batting and a very bamboo batting for the front and back. It drapes very nicely. I usually get the front and back joined then quilt that as one large piece. I quilt each sleeve separately.
The two tricky parts are finishing seams and facings. If you line it that's a breeze. If you choose not to line it you need to sew the neckline and front right sides together to the backing, turn trim seam allowance and stitch. This will leave armhole, arm and side seams that need to be finished either by serging, french seams, flat felded seams.
I ditto the warning to avoid batting that is thicker than 1/8th inch. What happens is you look like a stuffed weather vane, with arms pointing E and W. I learned the hard way!
Old 12-19-2009, 03:12 PM

clotilde.com has tons of jacket patterns. Nancy's Notions also has them.