Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'd like to join a quilt guild.  However... >

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Unfortunately, when people have a bad experience they tell it over and over - but when we have a good experience, we don't often take the time to spread that message.
If I had had a good experience to share, I would have done so. I don't think it's true that people have a tendency to share only the bad.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 PM

Oh, that is horrible. I am a member of a quild. Most of the ladies are very nice and extremely helpful. As with most groups we do have a couple of those women who are scrapping their noses against the ceiling and need a bandage for them because it so far in the air. LOL

Now, I would go five another group a try. After all, no sense in letting those ceiling scrappers ruin your good time. I know we are a ways from you but you are more than welcome to come join us. LOL

Last edited by mdall; 11-07-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I believe that it is referring to one of the Christian virtues is being kind to others.
Isn't being "nice" a virtue we all strive for? Why a put a label on this? Or are we off the hook if we are not "Christian"? I find this attitude interesting........sandy
Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 AM

I toyed with the idea of a guild, but won't bother. Agewise, I belong to the guild member group, but techwise, I belong to a far younger crowd. I'd rather discuss how to hack a cell phone than listen to a lot of gossip. I've either been in or taught a class, left the room, and heard the ladies? tear down another member of the class or group. Cell phone, computers, and cats don't gossip.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Isn't being "nice" a virtue we all strive for? Why a put a label on this? Or are we off the hook if we are not "Christian"? I find this attitude interesting........sandy
I'm sure it is a virtue that a lot of people strive for. Lynnie was just asking about Christianity = nice and I was attempting to explain. Obviously, not only Christians are nice. Let's not go overboard with this.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Same thing happened to me. After going to the quilt show held here in February, I asked about joining. They invited me to the next meeting to see if I wanted to join. I was not informed I had to bring "samples" of my work and do a "show and tell". I lugged my sewing machine in case I was going to use it. I saw a couple people I knew who immediately acted like they didn't know me. I mean I've known them for many years but truly standoffish. Didn't take long and I didn't even take my sewing machine out. I never saw so many people give me such a cold look and it was "suggested" I try another guild. I asked why and was told it was because they were a "Christian Group". How dare they! My reply was that I was going to check around and see if I couldn't find a "Really True Christian Group" who was not just a bunch of gossipy B*****s, who actually knew what "Christian" meant. I was not even given a chance. And yes I guess I did pass judgment by calling them the "Bs" but was only for a moment. At least one thing for sure, they knew I called things they way I saw them. I wasn't even there 30 minutes. 100 degrees outside and below freezing indoors. I called a couple other guilds and asked if any of the people I knew from the other guild were members and of course they were. I did go to another guild where the meeting house was 30 minutes away but got to be too much lugging the machine. Am looking for a light-weight and not wanting to pay a whole lot but too many things really going on. So will put off. I still hear from this last guild though. Really need to get back into it. Take my mind off things that have arisen.
Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
The issue was that the guild members were touting themselves as a Christian group and using that, as the reason she should find a different group. If they were true Christians (people who actually follow the teachings of Jesus Christ), they'd have been kind and accepting, rather than judgmental and snobby. That isn't saying only Christians only have those virtues.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:58 AM

Thank you, Neesie. Well said. Much better than I said it.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 AM

At some point you have to let go of what happened in the past and take a step forward. Go to a new guild with an open mind, make sure you say hello to people, ask questions to show your interest and be friendly. At our guild we ask new members to stand and tell a little about themselves. Yes, we may be sitting at tables with our friends but we will move over and make room for you to sit. Try a group, you may like it.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Amen Nessie! Beautifully said!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I'm sure it is a virtue that a lot of people strive for. Lynnie was just asking about Christianity = nice and I was attempting to explain. Obviously, not only Christians are nice. Let's not go overboard with this.
It was already "overboard" IMHO
S