Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'd like to join a quilt guild.  However... >

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM

I have worked in mostly male dominated professions all my life and I can tell you women are not worse than men on getting along.

Our guild is 120 -150 members. Dues are $25 per year. We welcome and introduce visitors and new members during our business meeting then we have show and tell and anyone is welcome to show their work. We have a speaker and if it is a nationally known one like Bonnie Hunter or Becky Goldsmith we charge visitors $5. We encourage new members to join a small sewing group or bee and we have one official bee keeper who assists them in finding bees that are open to new members or start a new bee. My best friends in this town came about because 3 of us needed a night bee and the beekeeper introduced us. She also found a location that would let us meet for free but we elected to rotate meetings at our homes.

I think we do a disservice to women and quilters when we spread our "horror" stories or fear. A smaller group can certainly be personality driven but my goodness going to a large guild meeting is rather like attending a lecture at a quilt show. If you go thinking everyone in the room needs to pay attention to you or you will be unhappy then you will be unhappy. If you go thinking "I wonder what this group is like and what kind of program they will have?" then I don't think you will be disappointed though you may decide it isn't your cup of tea.

I have been quilting since the early 90s. I have attended 3 guilds and enjoyed them all. I have attended many classes at shops and quilt shows. In all this time I have not had a horrible experience. Sure occasionally someone in class will be a little loud or demanding all the teacher's attention but I don't remember specifics. Let the pettiness wash off you and get on with life.

Last edited by Pagzz; 11-07-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
I just joined a local quilt guild, I attended one meeting and enjoyed all the items on the agenda, but no member actually spoke to me in kind, except for another new member (it was her 3rd meeting). She joined to be able to attend the classes, but she felt uncomfortable with all the "clicky friends" and insider "remarks" also. Quilt guild board members should have a "welcome committe" who would explain all the "normal" stuff - like the black bag challenge, all the other "stuff" that they do, sit next to the "newbie" for a meeting.
I hope you enjoy the guild you joined. Our guild meets at 7 pm and there is socialization prior. My friends save me a seat. We have tables for community service and special projects and anyone can just walk up during the socialization and inquire. I still don't know all the people in my guild and I have been going since 2007 when I moved to Texas. Since the new members and visitors aren't announced until our business meeting starts at 7 I would have no way of knowing you were a new member until then and I would not feel comfortable getting up and moving away from my companions on the chance someone new would like me to sit near them. Like any group it takes a while to meet people and get to know them. My guild meets from 7 - 9 pm one night a month. I attend with friends and while I want everyone there to have a good time I focus on a few minutes catching up with my friends and then I listen to the program.

I am not meaning to sound argumentative I just want to show you a different perspective.

Last edited by Pagzz; 11-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 PM

Here is a true story that many contradict some of the negativity. I joined my first guild in 1993 and attended a few months before I had to move to another city. In 1996 I moved back to that city and found that guild had split into two guilds. I picked one and rejoined. I was sitting near someone and we talked about the baby afghan I was crocheting. I told her that I just had a fire at my apt (no insurance either) and I had lost all my sewing stuff including my two sewing machines. At the next meeting I was so surprised because the guild members had spread the word and they had two boxes of things for me - material, thread, scissors, books, patterns. It was so kind and generous.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM

I've attended a couple of different groups, as far as I know neither was a guild. Both were welcoming, yet for some reason I did not feel like I really fit in. Think it may have been because I have other commitments besides the group and felt internal pressure to hurry up and get away to what else I needed to do.
I would still like to find other quilters to visit with but in the mean time I have this fabulous online group here on the QB!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 PM

Thank you Pagzz! I agree with you completely. Unfortunately, when people have a bad experience they tell it over and over - but when we have a good experience, we don't often take the time to spread that message.

I love my guild - it's rather casual and we can pick and choose what we want to participate in. As I still work full time, I don't have a lot of time to take on some of the things that come up, but some day I hope to be able to.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:52 PM

I googled quilt guilds and looked for one there. The first one I went to was about 4 miles from my house. I went for 6 months and never really felt welcomed. I didn't know anyone when I started going. There was only one woman who talked to me and she was new too. We both quit. I felt like it was a dictatorship, only talked about the shop that ran the guild. SHop owner was president, other employees held all the officer slots. No elections. They dictated how the money was spent.
I now drive 25 miles to guild. As soon as I walked in people welcomed me. I didn't know anyone. They are a wonderful group. I have been there for almost 3 years. Look around there should be other groups. Ask at the LQS. They usually know what is out there. There is another guild I would love to join but they meet during the day and unfortunately I have to work. I do visit with them when I am off in the summer.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:01 PM

I belong to a lovely guild that has about 180 members. One of our "rules" is that we make sure newbies don't get lost in the cracks. We always make people feel welcome and we love show & tell from everyone. I've only met a few snobby people, I stay away from them. Our small groups meet at members homes and that's where the sewing is done. I don't belong to a bee, most of the ladies have cats, so that's out for me. I belong to a group that makes wounded soldier quilts. We meet 4 times a month to sew & have great fun all day.
Sharon
Old 11-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Your story sounds familiar. Our guild has been in operation about 24 yrs., and I joined about 10 yrs. ago. Being "clickish" or un-friendly sounds familiar. The best way I have overcome it is to just join or go with my friends who are new or have been in about the same time as have I. Let the "big-heads" have it their way. They can't have the guild without our $$$ for dues. They really aren't that special; they just think they are! As for starting a new guild, I think it is possible, but would be a lot of work, I would think from what I have been told. Just hang in there! Mariah
Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

so does that mean Christianity=nice?
where does that leave the rest of us????
Old 11-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
so does that mean Christianity=nice?
where does that leave the rest of us????
I believe that it is referring to one of the Christian virtues is being kind to others.