Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'd like to join a quilt guild.  However... >

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

Old 11-07-2013, 04:24 AM

There are Quilt Police and nasty people in every Guild. The trick is to look past them to the pure gold members. I absolutely refuse to take a position in my Guild because certain people make it miserable with petty bickering and outrageous demands. I just let them go their own way and do my own thing with my friends. Don't let the bad ones run you off. If you keep your eyes open, you will find a welcoming smile from someone.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
I'm not really certain what a "guild" consists of. There are several in my general area, but I have not explored them for just the reasons set forth above. I have heard that it is a clique like club of women who believe they are better than any outsiders, so have refrained. .

I think there are lots of benefits to a guild. Sometimes it is hard to be the new person but I find most quilters friendly. If you heard specific things about a specific guild then maybe avoid it but don't avoid just because you think you won't be accepted.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:48 AM

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I am sorry for anyone who has a bad experience. BUT I think most quilters are nice people and we share a common interest. When I attend a meeting or the first couple of meetings I don't expect people to exhert themselves on my behalf. I am just watching and seeing if we will be a good fit. It is like being the new kid at school. Dynamics are probably different in a smaller group but overall I think it is best to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have pointed this out before but when I go to guild I am going to sit with my four friends that I am very close to and I haven't seen them for a month or two and yes I will be polite if I see someone new near me but I am focused on my friends. We have 15 mins to socialize before the meeting.

I have belonged to a couple guilds and only found fault with two visitors and even then I didn't say anything. One time in Tennessee a woman came to the guild and had an Underground Railroad quilt but she proceed to lecture us on the Underground Railroad as if we didn't know anything and said she was going from guild to guild sharing her information. The second visitor was someone who apparently had a longarm business and she was using her show and tell as an overt commercial.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:53 AM

I think all guilds have their "clicks" within the groups. Too bad. Mine is the same way, some out to promote their own quilting business, others out to run over the meek and mild. I have watched the "bully member" ramrod over others...I go for the friendships I have created, the classes, and to see the beautiful work of others. Sounds like this happens in a lot of guilds. Maybe it is a hormone, or non hormone thing.....lots of ladies my age.....early sixties.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I am sorry you had such a bad experience. Where I live we call them groups rather then guilds with a lot of rules. I am in a groups that meets in a church social hall. Everyone is encouraged to bring show and tell and no one is snubbed or critical of others work.
Is there a church,school, or senior center you could meet at. You would be surprised at how fast a small group will grow when the word gets out that you are just a friendly group that wants to share and learn.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:10 AM

Check your County Extension Office. Ours has a very active County Agent and we have three Quilt Guilds. One that meets in the evenings and two that meet during the day.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:29 AM

Sorry for the negative experience. Would like to join a group myself but not a guild. Unfortunately none of my friends enjoy quilting.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
I thought you ate lunch before you went to the meeting and then did quilting things at meetings? I do not belong to any. I did join the one in Minot, but decided I did not want to drive 2 hrs during nice weather to listen to other women talk about what fancy smancy things they made. I wanted to dive right in an do sewing or quilting. Never happened, so I spend my money on more fabric or something that I can help someone else out with.
Our guild rarely quilts at the meetings. Only once in several years that I can recall. But there is show and tell and a speaker or program of some sort. Quilters have different expectations of guilds. Some ladies want it be a chatty social time, some want to sew, while others want to come and learn something and go home. It may take several tries to find the right one.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:44 AM

Hey it happens all over. I went to a meeting, they introduced a couple visiting members and completly overlooked me, made me feel like stuff stuck on the bottom of your shoe and I vowed never to go back. One of the members was also a gal that I had taken classes from and she totally ignored me. What is with that?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:04 AM

I had a bad experience with a local quilt guild as well. The sad thing is that there are less than a dozen out of the 150+ members who believed they were superior to anyone else, but they could sure make it miserable for those they were attacking. They were critical and condescending to beginners like myself. I was informed they were "Master Seamstresses!" Several were retired Home Ec teachers, local extension agents or lifetime quilters. They may well be superior to most, but I was a beginner who just wanted to learn everything I could about this new artform I had fallen in love with. I had high hopes to learn so much from talented experienced quilters. My enthusiasm was quickly smothered, and it was over a year before I could even look at a sewing machine again. I find it sad that adult women behave so ugly and cruelly toward others. How cruel to sit in the back of the room and negatively critique, giggle and make fun of someone's show and share! Wasn't worth it to me. I quit and haven't been back since. I found a smaller guild of less than 40 in a close by community. Totally different atmosphere there.