Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'd like to join a quilt guild.  However... >

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Same thing happened to me. After going to the quilt show held here in February, I asked about joining. They invited me to the next meeting to see if I wanted to join. I was not informed I had to bring "samples" of my work and do a "show and tell". I lugged my sewing machine in case I was going to use it. I saw a couple people I knew who immediately acted like they didn't know me. I mean I've known them for many years but truly standoffish. Didn't take long and I didn't even take my sewing machine out. I never saw so many people give me such a cold look and it was "suggested" I try another guild. I asked why and was told it was because they were a "Christian Group". How dare they! My reply was that I was going to check around and see if I couldn't find a "Really True Christian Group" who was not just a bunch of gossipy B*****s, who actually knew what "Christian" meant. I was not even given a chance. And yes I guess I did pass judgment by calling them the "Bs" but was only for a moment. At least one thing for sure, they knew I called things they way I saw them. I wasn't even there 30 minutes. 100 degrees outside and below freezing indoors. I called a couple other guilds and asked if any of the people I knew from the other guild were members and of course they were. I did go to another guild where the meeting house was 30 minutes away but got to be too much lugging the machine. Am looking for a light-weight and not wanting to pay a whole lot but too many things really going on. So will put off. I still hear from this last guild though. Really need to get back into it. Take my mind off things that have arisen.
I would suggest that you didn't visit a quilting group, you inadvertently landed in a bible study/so-called Christian prayer group that happened to have quilters.
Quilting isn't Christian, Jewish or Islamic or Taoist....quilting is an all inclusive art form where people who want to bring the unexpressed into form make art. And anyone can join.
I get physically sick when I see and hear these self-proclaimed christians start blathering biblical passages at folks and judging with every breath. Spare me! I especially dislike blogs that lead with how much they love Jesus...my God. Give it a rest. Your beliefs are personal and private not billboard material...Now a good log cabin design? THAT'S billboard material.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 PM

Awwwww......

if you start a nice girls quilt club....I am in!

i always say we woman can be per- snickerty..... I have not joined a guild, and would really like to...the one I could join close to me....has quite a bit of bickering so have not joined. Why can't we all play nice.....

mistys mom...u r very fortunate to find a nice group
Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 PM

I also belong to a quilt guild, never have felt welcomed, this is the best quilt quild you will find. They offer a wealth of information and will always guide you on and find a way to encourage you to continue your passion. This board is the greatest!.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM

Two years ago I moved to SW Arkansas not knowing anyone and didn't know how to quilt. But I wanted to learn so I asked around and found one sewing group about 15 miles away that met in the daytime. A small shop owner called a friend who gave me a phone number of one of the members and I called to make arrangements to visit. I really lucked out, they are just the nicest ladies (of 12 when everyone shows up). They are a guild, but function as a small group. We have a short business meeting, then we show and tell, maybe a demo or a sit and sew, have lunch, and sit and sew again or work on a volunteer project such as for nursing homes, or baby quilts, etc. We are very warm, supportive and affectionate really better than most families I know. In the two years I've been there members have lost a husband, a grown child, gone through a divorce, breast cancer and a home burned down. Maybe that is why they are so loving, all have faced hardship and disappointment. They are so important to me and so is QB. Much kindness and support here as well and a storehouse of information and help. Thanks to all of you for being here.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 PM

I am so sorry you had such a bad time. The guild I belong to welcomes people all the time. The are top notch quilters in this guild and there are beginners. Everyone is welcome and we are invited to do what we can for the guild. We are great supporters of our communities. It is and Iowa/Illinois guild. We have over 300+ members and always welcome more. I wish you were in my area, we would welcome you no matter what your talents are.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 PM

Some Christians are Christians in name only. They love the idea of being a Christian, but have no clue how to be one. I imagine that happens with people who belong to any religion.

Don't apologize for telling these nasty women how rude they were and bluntly questioning their Christianity. Seems to me that they needed someone to give them a good kick in the butt. Would have loved to have seen their faces when you told them what they really are!

Who knows? You might have gotten a few of them to realize how un-Christian they were behaving. Doubtful, but it could happen!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 PM

Oh, how I agree with you! I often wonder why some people have to proclaim their love of God/Jesus 20 times a day on Facebook or other social media, then want me to share it and imply I'm somehow unworthy if I don't.

My theory is that they are trying to convince themselves that they love God...
Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 PM

I don't discuss my personal beliefs because it is simply useless. I'm not going to change anyone elses mind, and no one is going to change my mind, either.

I belong to two quilt groups. Before I go further, let me explain that I am one of those people who can't sit still and always has to have something to do.

One is small and more socially oriented than the other. The other is much larger, and it took awhile for me to feel comfortable there. But I stuck with them because this group focuses more on teaching quilting techniques/skills and charity quilts.

Both groups are fun, but I've noticed that the smaller group is a bit snobbish. Oddly, they don't mean to be, and they are not overtly rude, just not as friendly to some new members.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 PM

Insulted a 13 year old girl? Have they no sense of decency about them?

I think that any human being can be rude to me and that, I, as an adult can choose to ignore it or put them in their place (usually not where they want to be.)

But to be rude to a defenseless child who is eager enough to learn the art of quilting is just MEAN!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 AM

you would be welcomed warmly at my guild. We have members who have won national awards to newbies who have not even cut one strip of fabric yet. We WANT new members, and will willingly show others how to do something different, or a new way of doing something. Keep looking, and when the right place is in front of you, you will know it! In the meantime, create your own group of quilting friends, and Keep Creating! Faye