Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideal seam guide >

Ideal seam guide

Ideal seam guide

Old 07-27-2015, 12:13 AM

I have a similar one and I love it. I do have a 1/4" foot but I still have to adjust my needle. Plus, I make other things that require a 3/8" and 1/2" seam allowance so I can use it to measure those as well. Mine came with one small sticky stop-bar thing but I lost it so I just use the plastic piece with the holes and use a post-it pad instead. It's not just a seam guide for guiding your fabric but it helps you set up the correct seam allowance too.

As for massdrop, I've done at least 4 drops now and never had a problem. Yes they take some time because once the buy is over, they order the product and have to distribute it. Everything I've bought was a brand name and I knew what the quality would be in advance.

eta: mine looks like this one. http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...e__D81716.HTML

Last edited by gale; 07-27-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:19 AM

Some others

(2nd item down). http://www.jankrentz.com/store.php?cat=4

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...+seam+guide.do
Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 AM

Thanks for posting this question. I had wondered about this item as well.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:40 AM

Bonnie Hunter of Quitville.com has a small one for only $4.00 or you can use a credit card with moleskin on the bottom and just move it manually after measuring with an index card to line up 1/4" spaces or just make your own cardboard guide...I think the price of this item is way out of line..
Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 AM

The best seam guide is to true up your seam allowance and adjust the needle if needed. THEN adapt the "guides" as needed.
Sandy
Old 07-27-2015, 03:00 AM

I have the entire set. The tape on the back doesn't work for long. Called the company and they sent me a replacement tape. Same problem. Took more time than blue tape better. I do use the Guage for 1/4, 1/5, etc. But my advise is save your money.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:30 AM

I use an antique Singer machine for piecing, so I just stick a magnetic business card down after establishing my scant 1/4" with a ruler. It can be moved easily, and didn't cost me a cent.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:25 AM

I had a very bad experience with Massdrop. It's a 3rd party seller, takes forever to get the product. Read all the FAQ's, terms, privacy policy before you order. There is no phone number or physical address to contact them at. All you can do is send an e-mail and someone will respond to it. I ordered a purse, four weeks went by and nothing came. I e-mailed them, was told my order was damaged by UPS and they were filing a claim and it would take 30 days. After the 30 days I could get a refund or if the purse was still available they would e-send it. No, that didn't work for me, they had my money, four weeks had passed, no one bothered to e-mail me and now I had to wait another 4 weeks. When the purse shipped I was supposed to get a shipping notice with tracking information and I never received it. To this day I have no purse and no money has been refunded. I have filed a claim with my credit card company. I did keep all my e-mail correspondence and original order confirmation, glad I did that because the credit card company needs it. I caution anyone not to order from a 3rd party vendor.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:37 AM

I saw the lady who created this guide a the Yakima show this summer and visited with them. They said themselves the sticky bit doesn't last long, but "I think" she said it was like the supreme slider, it had to be rinsed off to be renewed? Or did I dream that?

The whole idea of MassDrop seems like mass hysteria to me...
Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 AM

I use mine all the time and it works really well for me. You have to move your needle all the way to the right in order to avoid covering your feed dogs as Lyndaoh says, the video tells you to do that. I think its great invention. recommend it. It lets you use either 1/4" or a scant 1/4" which I always has problems with.