Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ideas needed >

ideas needed

ideas needed

Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 AM

I have no new ideas to contribute, but just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about the loss of your brother. I'm sure that when you are ready to cut, the ideas will come to you for just the right thing/s for his clothes!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM

When my grandmother passed away, my cousin made stuffed angels for each of the grandchildren out of some of her clothes. She first pieced then assembled. I cherish mine.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing my brother, we've always been very close. My Gma passed away recently and I saw an wallhanging quilt in Fon's and Porters magazine (most recent issue) where you can take fabric (I'm going to use Gma's shirts) and cut them into little dresses. I'm sure they were appliqued, although haven't read the pattern yet. That could be cute, make small mens shirts from them and then you can embellish with mini ties or buttons or something. I just made a memory quilt for my cousin, her DH passed away unexpectedly, he was a hunter and his t-shirts weren't in the best of shape, but I backed them with fusible stablizer and they came out much better than I expected.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 AM

Sorry for your loss, when a friend of ours passed away his wife gave me three sweatshirts that he wore with pictures on the front. I made pillow tops out of them and she now displays them in her living room. She was thrilled to have them. That is the only time I had any experience doing anything like that.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing my brother, we've always been very close. My Gma passed away recently and I saw an wallhanging quilt in Fon's and Porters magazine (most recent issue) where you can take fabric (I'm going to use Gma's shirts) and cut them into little dresses. I'm sure they were appliqued, although haven't read the pattern yet. That could be cute, make small mens shirts from them and then you can embellish with mini ties or buttons or something. I just made a memory quilt for my cousin, her DH passed away unexpectedly, he was a hunter and his t-shirts weren't in the best of shape, but I backed them with fusible stablizer and they came out much better than I expected.
i have a dress template i made..get with me in a PM..maybe we could figure out a pattern when your ready.
i used it for t-shirts..lol! (usually the pocket emblem went in the dress area..Kim
Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

well, if the clothes are worn and mostly sweatshirts i wouldn't do much with those. but the Hawiian shirts would make great blocks at least. you could make each person a lovely block and put it in a frame.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by vbourck
My sister is a quilter and has a website- memorial quilts are her specialty. Saving those special clothes and turning them into something lovely is a wonderful way to keep memories alive and present. Take a look at this website for some ideas:
www.sentimentalquilts.com
thanks, great site.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 AM

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. A friend of mine just lost her son and we're in the process of putting something together for her. We're probably going to try a wallhanging. As with your brother, her son didn't have very much in the way of clothes. We've been considering finding her favorite picture and having it transfered to fabric and centering it so the picture is framed out. Remember you can also incorporate his old jeans. A lap quilt is also an option. Please remember that one that sleeps under a quilt is comforted with love. That feeling will never go away.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. A friend of mine just lost her son and we're in the process of putting something together for her. We're probably going to try a wallhanging. As with your brother, her son didn't have very much in the way of clothes. We've been considering finding her favorite picture and having it transfered to fabric and centering it so the picture is framed out. Remember you can also incorporate his old jeans. A lap quilt is also an option. Please remember that one that sleeps under a quilt is comforted with love. That feeling will never go away.

wow, thank you for that comforting thought! :) I didn't save any of his jeans, I thought they would be too hard to work with so those are all gone, sadly. I kept his sweatshirts, t shirts and hawaian shirts. there are other odds and ends in there and I should go through the bags again, but that is hard, so I know I'm not ready to cut just yet. I'm thinking more and more about doing that so hopefully soon and only work a little at a time on it so I don't get too sad during the process. It's so hard when you miss someone SO much!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 AM

I am so sorry for each of your losses. You ladies bring back memories for me. When my mom died in August of 1998, she left a wonderful stash of fabric. My sister & I made quilt tops for my dad & all 5 of us kids. We had the 6 quilts completed for Christmas that year.