Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ideas please. >

ideas please.

ideas please.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by cherisews View Post
I've been teaching my 10 year old granddaughter to sew. I told her she needed to learn hand sewing before she could use a sewing machine. Here are a few things I found when searching for ideas.

http://www.lovetosew.com/freepatternscraftsforkids.htm - string of hearts and beads; heart pillow
http://missyballance.typepad.com/cra...pillow_tu.html - four patch pillow with pocket for stuffed bunnies. Pattern for the bunny is included. Cute!
http://spoonful.com/crafts/flower-power – felt flowers. Quick and easy and can be used for many things. She made a hair clip.

Since your group of girls know how to make yo yo’s, show them what can be made with them:
http://spoonful.com/crafts/squash-softies - mini pumpkins. We made these. Adorable!
http://zakkalife.blogspot.com/2009/0...-bracelet.html - bracelet
Wow there are some great ideas here...thanks bunches....
Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 PM

What about pin cushions? Or needle books, little 'trash cans' out of fabric would all be related to quilting but also used by crafters that do hand work. I am assuming the person who mentioned hexies is talking about English Paper Piecing? I'd recommend squares, or something they can get or duplicate easily. I talked to a lady who owned a huge quilt shop in Australia. She said that our colors, are different in the U.S. and Australia, Japan etc. She said that is is about the sun and how we receive colors--if that is how you say it, Australian's like very bright colors, and they have lots of 'spots and dots' and stripes.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:48 AM

aaw you guys are amazing - I knew you would help me out but this has been overwhelming. Thank you so much. I have jotted down all the suggestions and will enjoy checking out all the links in the next couple of days.
Woody - I'll be at the Floriade for sure; one of the reasons I go at this time of the year. Want to meet up?
Pepita - you're right the fabric colours are very bright - on my first visit I was astonished and thought I can't do anything with these, but several visits later and I have made some Aussie quilts now.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

I found a great pattern right here on QB!!!
My DGD made one and won a first at the county fair!
Here is a link to the pattern: https://www.shopmartingale.com/image...uarter-bag.pdf

The picture we took at the fair does not show her bag well.

The size bag in the pattern is really big. Maybe for slumber parties to haul a blanket and pillow and pjs. The pattern uses a few sewing machine skills so it is not a first time beginner project - however it is not terribly hard to graduate to after a few successes. Old clothing - men's shirts, old dress pants or dresses could be used for this as well as pieced quarters. Each girl could bring 6 all alike pieces and then trade or you could figure out how to cut the bag with enough pieces for them to each trade out one. Then you would have to be able to identify/personalize each person's bag with out problems. The bag I made needed shorter elastic.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I think it is marvelous for you to teach young ones to sew. We need to keep this wonderful pasttime alive.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 AM
dd

When I teach the kids, I also want them to learn to give back. One of the first things we do is a quilt. Everyone makes a block or two or three, depending on how many kids are in the group. Then some of them put the blocks together and I quilt it for them and donate where they suggest. Most really like this idea.
I also like the idea of the hexies so they can be working on it after you're back home.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Already sew many ideas to keep you busy! Looks like you need to add all the links to your favorites. Maybe ask the girls also what they would be interested in doing. Maybe some of their families could let you borrow some machines and each child would have their own projects. how about each one working on a crazy quilt with items donated from female relative who have old slips or scraps from trimmings. Your time spent will sadly go incredibly fast. But the memories will last forever. Don't forget to take a few photos also and post them in your sewing room. Don't forget to have your supply of tissues nearby either.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 AM

oh--mug rugs, coasters, pot holders--those are the first things that come to mind. they are basic--but the girls will be learning, making something they can share or use, and still have fun with the process--and the fun fabrics! they will love playing with fabrics and colors! another easy one (haven't read all the replies--sorry!) is a laundry bag. it can be appliquéd, embroidered, quilted, etc. it's big enough for ease of handling, but not so complicated as to discourage them. all in all--anything you do with them is wonderful. they are building skills they will carry with them for years!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM

Here's an easy way to make 3D flowers. Cut 5 circles 5" diameter. Fold one circle in quarters. Use hand-quilting thread, start with a long tail before you knot the thread and sew a running stitch across the curved end of the petal about 1/8"-1/4" from edge. Gather petal but do not cut the thread. Repeat with the other 4 petals. Do not remove needle from thread. Gather the petals by pulling the long tail and the thread on the needle end, then knot the two ends together. Trim the thread tail and use the threaded needle to stitch a button, pompom or yo-yo in the center to complete the flower. I hope that's clear. You can make the flowers bigger by increasing the size of the circles and adding more petals. I was told once that flowers always have an odd number of petals. I don't know if that's true, but I think it makes a prettier flower.

Last edited by mckwilter; 07-29-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltyjax View Post
Hi - I know if anyone can then you guys can come up with ideas for a small group of young sewing enthusiasts.

This morning I received a text from my 12 year grandaughter inviting me to her lunch time group on Tuesday and Wednesday lunchtimes at school. "Grandma, I was telling my friends that you were coming in September and that you were a quilter. We all said that we would love you to come and do some sewing things with us." Isn't that lovely - I was thrilled.

After a few more texts I find out there's 9-12 of them, al 12 - 13yrs, and mostly do small craft items that they can achieve in 2 or 3 ½ hour sessions. They do all sorts in this little group that they started in January as newbies in a girls high school, mostly teaching each other something they know how to do. All they've done sewing wise was make poppies - a red yoyo with a black button .

Off the top of my head I've come up with pipkin purses, woven hearts, mug-rugs, and 3D flowers - any other ideas?
They'll sew by hand but Siân says we could take in our machine. (I keep an old Janome at their house)

I live in North Wales, UK and my family near Canberra in Australia. Can't wait to see my family but now I have the added privilege of passing on a love of sewing/quilting to young girls who want to learn. Think I might have to chuck a few things out the suitcase and take part of my stash with me!!

Over to you now - any ideas? Thank you in anticipation.
I can't believe this I just live about 10 miles from you, Llangefni Isle of Anglesey! I have been giving Patchwork classes for a number of years for a wide variety of ages, if you can use any bits n pieces PM me. I have spare machines, Yo-yo makers etc; fabric and so many bits n pieces if I can help just holler