Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5
Results 101 to 113 of 113

Thread: Ideas for small projects to make for a craft fair

  1. #101
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    169
    I've had good luck selling curling iron caddies.

  2. #102
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    eastern north Carolina
    Posts
    121
    What is a curling ion caddy? Can you plese post a picture and maybe directions. Thank you and have a great year.

  3. #103
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,061
    I believe there was a previous discussion about copywrite laws on this board. Try a search and see if you can locate it.

  4. #104
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    I believe there was a previous discussion about copywrite laws on this board. Try a search and see if you can locate it.
    If you can look at an item and create a pattern of your own by sight only, copyright should not be an issue, should it? As long as you don't claim the idea as your own?

  5. #105
    Super Member Deborah12687's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,125
    What I remember about that discution was that you could use the pattern but you couldn't copy the pattern for intent to sell the pattern.

  6. #106
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    169
    BoJo,
    The curling iron caddy I make is about 5 1/2" wide and 10" long when finished. I layer fabric, filler (which is anything from Warm & Natural to old towels and blankets)and then the silver ironing board fabric. On one side I put another piece of fabric about half way up for a pocket (for the cord, combs, etc.

    It's curved at the bottom and straight across the top. I fold over the fabric on top and stitch and then zigzig or finish the layers together. After that I simply stitch all the way around both sides, except for the top, and turn.


    You can put a hot curling iron, brush or flat iron in them without worrying about the heat. Great when you are traveling and need to pack right after using it.

    I hope this helps. My camera is out of commission right now so can't send a photo. Look on-line and you'll see pictures of them in various sizes and shapes. I just chose what was easy to make and yet functionable.

    Judy

  7. #107
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    eastern north Carolina
    Posts
    121
    Judy, thank you very much. Will look up pics on net.

  8. #108
    Senior Member Quilting Grandma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    452
    The Checkbook Covers I made for Christmas were a big hit. Also --Mug Rugs.
    With the "warm tater" batting out, Baked Potato bags are once again a great Idea.

  9. #109
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQLTN
    Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQLTN
    Quote Originally Posted by elise
    HAVE YOU MADE THE WONDER WALLET YET, SOLD LOTS OF THEM, PATTERN LAZY GIRL
    Lazy Girl patterns are copyrighted and they do not allow you to sell constructed items. I saw so many folks on her blog talking about selling them that I e-mailed and asked. Joan personally responded and said it is a violation of the copyright and we are NOT supposed to sell them. She thanked me for honoring her copyright.

    Peggy
    According to a legal opinion I read, the PATTERN may not be copied or sold in any way, but the projects you make from them is your property and you may sell them regardless of what the pattern maker says.
    Wow, I'd really like to read this. I have had so many plans go down the tubes because of copyright issues. May I have the website, please!?

    Peggy
    OK folks ... I Called the copyright office. He hemmed and hawed a little but and then basically said (I used a handbag as an example) that the pattern is copywritten but the finished product was mine to do with as I want. Selling completed project is not covered by the copyright.

    However, when we switched the example to a quilt pattern he said that fell more into the "art" category and that I would have to get an attorney to interpret the law for me because there are many 'interpretations'.

    I'll be off the soap box now and I am delighted to know I don't have to re-invent the wheel and can actually use some of the purse patterns I've purchased without having to design my own.

    Blessings,
    Peggy

  10. #110
    Super Member Wunder-Mar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQLTN
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQLTN
    Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQLTN
    Quote Originally Posted by elise
    HAVE YOU MADE THE WONDER WALLET YET, SOLD LOTS OF THEM, PATTERN LAZY GIRL
    Lazy Girl patterns are copyrighted and they do not allow you to sell constructed items. I saw so many folks on her blog talking about selling them that I e-mailed and asked. Joan personally responded and said it is a violation of the copyright and we are NOT supposed to sell them. She thanked me for honoring her copyright.

    Peggy
    According to a legal opinion I read, the PATTERN may not be copied or sold in any way, but the projects you make from them is your property and you may sell them regardless of what the pattern maker says.
    Wow, I'd really like to read this. I have had so many plans go down the tubes because of copyright issues. May I have the website, please!?

    Peggy
    OK folks ... I Called the copyright office. He hemmed and hawed a little but and then basically said (I used a handbag as an example) that the pattern is copywritten but the finished product was mine to do with as I want. Selling completed project is not covered by the copyright.

    However, when we switched the example to a quilt pattern he said that fell more into the "art" category and that I would have to get an attorney to interpret the law for me because there are many 'interpretations'.

    I'll be off the soap box now and I am delighted to know I don't have to re-invent the wheel and can actually use some of the purse patterns I've purchased without having to design my own.

    Blessings,
    Peggy
    -----
    I have consulted copyright attorneys who consistently cite FIRST SALE DOCTRINE. Additionally, case law in the last decade shows consistent federal rulings in favor of the crafter/quilter to make and sell items made from a book with NO FURTHER REVENUES due the author of the book or designer. The book contains patterns on how to make something - which is why it was published - so the book and pattern are being used as intended BY THE AUTHOR.

    After the book is FIRST sold (to the original buyer) the owner of the book can do what she wishes with the book itself and the patterns therein, including selling it at a garage sale for whatever price chosen and with full entitlement to all proceeds from that garage sale. The author got her cut AT FIRST SALE and is entitled to no more revenue or control over what is done with the book or the contents therein ... EXCEPT for duplicating the book, DVD, etc. ITSELF.

    Once sold, the author or designer cannot put restrictions on what you make or sell with the book or pattern. BTW, patterns (sold individually for either quilts or crafts) are covered by PATENT LAW not copyright law; if you check the Copyright Office's records, the only thing copyrighted on clothing, accessory, craft patterns is the artwork on the envelopes.

    Even in instances where the federal courts see quilts closer to "art" (copyright law) than "utility" (patent law), the fact that the designer has published a book with instructions telling you how to make the items therein BY FEDERAL COURT INTERPRETATION means that you are using the book as intended by the author/designer ... and FIRST SALE DOCTRINE kicks in.

    ----
    NOTE ON DUPLICATING PUBLISHED MATERIAL: See Paul C. Rapp, Esq.'s blog article on FAIR USE DOCTRINE. (he speaks "English" while explaining the law clearly.

    GREAT NEWS - Since so many quilting and crafting teachers have been copying magazine articles and distributing them to class students to teach classes (in direct violationm of copyright law), McCall's Quilting Magazine has decided not to fight that fight the way it used to and, as of McCALL’S QUILTING MAGAZINE – JAN/FEB 2011 ISSUE, P. 10, every issue will contain the following: “COPYRIGHT FOR QUILTERS: READER HAS THE RIGHT TTO MAKE AND PUBLICLY DISPLAY A COPY OF EACH PROJECT IN THIS MAGAZINE, AS LONG AS PUBLICLY-ACCESSIBLE CREDIT IS GIVEN TO THE DESIGNER(S) AND McCALL’S QUILTING.” They followed on with the following statement: "Beginning here [Jan/Feb 2011 issue] you’ll find this statement in every McCall’s Quilting publication. We believe this is a first in the quilting world, and hope it will allow readers to continue to enjoy and use our patterns with confidence and convenience. It is our goal to protect the rights of both quilt designers and quilt pattern users everywhere. If you ever have a question about copyright related to one of our patterns, you can also correspond with us at [email protected] We’re happy to answer most inquiries within one business day."

  11. #111
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQLTN
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQLTN
    Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQLTN
    Quote Originally Posted by elise
    HAVE YOU MADE THE WONDER WALLET YET, SOLD LOTS OF THEM, PATTERN LAZY GIRL
    Lazy Girl patterns are copyrighted and they do not allow you to sell constructed items. I saw so many folks on her blog talking about selling them that I e-mailed and asked. Joan personally responded and said it is a violation of the copyright and we are NOT supposed to sell them. She thanked me for honoring her copyright.

    Peggy
    According to a legal opinion I read, the PATTERN may not be copied or sold in any way, but the projects you make from them is your property and you may sell them regardless of what the pattern maker says.
    Wow, I'd really like to read this. I have had so many plans go down the tubes because of copyright issues. May I have the website, please!?

    Peggy
    OK folks ... I Called the copyright office. He hemmed and hawed a little but and then basically said (I used a handbag as an example) that the pattern is copywritten but the finished product was mine to do with as I want. Selling completed project is not covered by the copyright.

    However, when we switched the example to a quilt pattern he said that fell more into the "art" category and that I would have to get an attorney to interpret the law for me because there are many 'interpretations'.

    I'll be off the soap box now and I am delighted to know I don't have to re-invent the wheel and can actually use some of the purse patterns I've purchased without having to design my own.

    Blessings,
    Peggy
    -----
    I have consulted copyright attorneys who consistently cite FIRST SALE DOCTRINE. Additionally, case law in the last decade shows consistent federal rulings in favor of the crafter/quilter to make and sell items made from a book with NO FURTHER REVENUES due the author of the book or designer. The book contains patterns on how to make something - which is why it was published - so the book and pattern are being used as intended BY THE AUTHOR.

    After the book is FIRST sold (to the original buyer) the owner of the book can do what she wishes with the book itself and the patterns therein, including selling it at a garage sale for whatever price chosen and with full entitlement to all proceeds from that garage sale. The author got her cut AT FIRST SALE and is entitled to no more revenue or control over what is done with the book or the contents therein ... EXCEPT for duplicating the book, DVD, etc. ITSELF.

    Once sold, the author or designer cannot put restrictions on what you make or sell with the book or pattern. BTW, patterns (sold individually for either quilts or crafts) are covered by PATENT LAW not copyright law; if you check the Copyright Office's records, the only thing copyrighted on clothing, accessory, craft patterns is the artwork on the envelopes.

    Even in instances where the federal courts see quilts closer to "art" (copyright law) than "utility" (patent law), the fact that the designer has published a book with instructions telling you how to make the items therein BY FEDERAL COURT INTERPRETATION means that you are using the book as intended by the author/designer ... and FIRST SALE DOCTRINE kicks in.

    ----
    NOTE ON DUPLICATING PUBLISHED MATERIAL: See Paul C. Rapp, Esq.'s blog article on FAIR USE DOCTRINE. (he speaks "English" while explaining the law clearly.

    GREAT NEWS - Since so many quilting and crafting teachers have been copying magazine articles and distributing them to class students to teach classes (in direct violationm of copyright law), McCall's Quilting Magazine has decided not to fight that fight the way it used to and, as of McCALL’S QUILTING MAGAZINE – JAN/FEB 2011 ISSUE, P. 10, every issue will contain the following: “COPYRIGHT FOR QUILTERS: READER HAS THE RIGHT TTO MAKE AND PUBLICLY DISPLAY A COPY OF EACH PROJECT IN THIS MAGAZINE, AS LONG AS PUBLICLY-ACCESSIBLE CREDIT IS GIVEN TO THE DESIGNER(S) AND McCALL’S QUILTING.” They followed on with the following statement: "Beginning here [Jan/Feb 2011 issue] you’ll find this statement in every McCall’s Quilting publication. We believe this is a first in the quilting world, and hope it will allow readers to continue to enjoy and use our patterns with confidence and convenience. It is our goal to protect the rights of both quilt designers and quilt pattern users everywhere. If you ever have a question about copyright related to one of our patterns, you can also correspond with us at [email protected] We’re happy to answer most inquiries within one business day."
    "AS LONG AS PUBLICLY-ACCESSIBLE CREDIT IS GIVEN TO THE DESIGNER(S) " This statement has started appearing as a footnote to all patterns for sale on YouCanMakeThis.com and in several etsy shops!

    I so glad to know you were so well informed and able to give us the info in 'plain english!'

  12. #112
    Super Member TonnieLoree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Grande, OR
    Posts
    2,458
    Place mats and matching dinner napkins?? Do you have a lot of scraps you can stuff in a zip-lock bag and sell for $5.00?

  13. #113
    Super Member GGinMcKinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    N Texas
    Posts
    1,137
    We sold lots of table runners, wall hangings and lap quilts at our bazaar in early December

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.