Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for using velvet-like fabric >

Ideas for using velvet-like fabric

Ideas for using velvet-like fabric

Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 PM

Default Ideas for using velvet-like fabric

My husband needed something like velvet for a project, so I bought a little over a yard of panne (? sorta like imitation velvet, much cheaper than the real thing) today. Unfortunately, I got olive green and he wanted a more medium, true green, which I will get for him tomorrow. Fortunately, what I bought was only $6 a yard and was on sale at 40 percent off at Joann's. So now it's in my stash. I know it's not good for quilting, and it's pretty stretchy. Any ideas how to make use of this orphaned fabric? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:55 PM

Brushed cotton. It not only feels very strokable it is. Very easy to work with.

Good job I could come and edit as I missed read,understood.

I would use it for cushions if it is strong enough. Soft and snugly if not feeling well.

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 11-06-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 PM

certainly pillows, nice evening bags, infinity scarf, shawl. any would work up really nice.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

it is good for quilting- fuse a lightweight interfacing to the back to help control the stretching- it will make wonderful appliques, (vines, leaves, trees, what ever) it will also work nicely with other quilting fabrics to add soft texture in patchwork. sometimes it is quite nice to add various textures to a quilt.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
it is good for quilting- fuse a lightweight interfacing to the back to help control the stretching- it will make wonderful appliques, (vines, leaves, trees, what ever) it will also work nicely with other quilting fabrics to add soft texture in patchwork. sometimes it is quite nice to add various textures to a quilt.
CKCowl ... I've been thinking of a quilt I want to make and want something soft like a velvet for parts of the sashing. Is this fabric washable? ironable? durable? and would it be a good mix into a quilt that will be gently used as a bed or lap quilt? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

if you just bought it, haven't cut it and have your receipt, JoAnn's will take it back (well, my JoAnn's will... call first)
Panne velvet is often called crushed velvet and is basically a knit, so it is really stretchy, and is usually synthetic. I would cut a small piece and zigzag the ends and wash it to see how it does. If it comes out OK, you can back it with a fusible (watch the temp setting) and use it in a quilt. I think it might add wonderful texture to a Christmas throw.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the great ideas -- I had no idea it could be worked into a quilt. It wasn't expensive, so I'm going to keep it and try some things.