Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Identify quilt pattern >

Identify quilt pattern

Identify quilt pattern

Old 07-22-2016, 06:47 AM

Soccertxi you are amazing! Great visualization and wonderful explanation! This would make not only a great jelly roll quilt, but the way you broke it down, how about a great scrap quilt out of 2.5" squares? Fran JB, you can take it from here and save money on pattern buying thanks to Soccertxi.

Last edited by Jane Quilter; 07-22-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree. Hate when they hang a quilt and if you ask for the pattern and are willing to pay for it, I have often been told the quilt maker wants to keep it to themselves. My answer is then keep it at home if you're willing to show but not share even if it's a spinoff from another pattern.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
This type of pattern will have instructions that will eliminate a lot of cutting. Usually make one big block and cut to have other block pieces. It's senseless for a shop to have a quilt hung for inspiration and no info on the quilt pattern.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 AM

ty ty! I just LOVE figuring out how patterns go together. Now if I could just PIECE them that fast! lol
Old 07-22-2016, 04:10 PM

I love EQ7 for helping draw out what the quilt should look like. The first thing I did was save the picture of the quilt to my laptop. Then I opened it in paint and drew out the blocks that I saw. Then into EQ for the designing. I drew the blocks as 8 inch blocks. A lot more colors were used in the quilt than I used. I did three blocks- A dark with light center; A light with dark center; and the odd block. Jelly rolls could be used for this project to give you the variety. The blocks with the solid outer colors are both solid centers and some with 4 patch centers. The outer solid colors on some of the blocks are pieced. Hope this helps you some. Basically it is 2 1/2 Jelly roll size cuts to make most of the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails fran-jb-blocks-drawn-.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-22-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:59 PM

Barb has it right. There are three different blocks.
1. A colored 4-patch surrounded by white.
2. A white 4-patch surrounded by colors
3. The "cross" block with the little white squares in the corners.
The 4-patch centers can be four patches or could be a plain square.

Half of the blocks are of colored centers surrounded by white. One quarter of the blocks are white squares surrounded by color, and the other quarter are the "cross" blocks.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I love EQ7 for helping draw out what the quilt should look like. The first thing I did was save the picture of the quilt to my laptop. Then I opened it in paint and drew out the blocks that I saw. Then into EQ for the designing. I drew the blocks as 8 inch blocks. A lot more colors were used in the quilt than I used. I did three blocks- A dark with light center; A light with dark center; and the odd block. Jelly rolls could be used for this project to give you the variety. The blocks with the solid outer colors are both solid centers and some with 4 patch centers. The outer solid colors on some of the blocks are pieced. Hope this helps you some. Basically it is 2 1/2 Jelly roll size cuts to make most of the quilt.
Barb ~ I'm not the one who asked however, I just want to say thank you for the diagrams and solving the 'mystery' of how to construct this quilt!

I have observed the many times you have come to the 'rescue' of fellow members here with your EQ diagrams for those of us who are on the visual way of learning spectrum in deciphering quilt blocks. You example what this board is all about, sharing your time and knowledge with others.
You have been so helpful to me in the past so just another cyber (((HUG))) for you.

Thank you soccertxi too for your drawings!

There are so many here on this forum who take the time to help with finding patterns, fabric, showing completed quilts which inspire and make our bucket lists grow. I personally think it's important to say thank-you every time, I too am guilty of 'forgetting' to say thanks in my hurried days and need to be more ummm more consistently thankful :0).

Last edited by onaemtnest; 07-23-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:11 PM

These are my favorite types of posts. I love it when someone is asking about what pattern etc. You people are always so clever and quick! I always learn so much too. I'm never much help solving the puzzle but I always enjoy the puzzle and learn so much! Thank you all for a great puzzle and solution once again. It made my day!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:41 PM

Thank you for the kind words and hugs to all. I am glad that I could help out. I don't usually show how I find the block in the original picture, but thought others might benefit from the process. The blocks were simple to draw in EQ once I could see what the block(s) looked like. I hope you enjoy my rendition.