Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

Blog Entries
    My dh and I live in a 3 bedroom house, 1 mbr to sleep, his room and my room. All my fabric is restricted to my room by my choice. My mom collects "things" and the clutter (although spotlessly clean) drives me crazy. Even when my sewing room gets out of sorts I start freaking. And I made a pact to not buy new fabric in 2010 unless I was given a gift card to a fabric store.
    So far, 25 days into Jan and I've held true. So my answer to you:
    one 10x10 bedroom's worth. :-D :-D :-D

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    I fall into the "one room's worth" category. And not one room crammed so full you can't get in anymore, but accessibly stored. Even that would be too much for me, but then I don't have one room that can be turned into storage for craft/hobby stuff. In my house, if the bins holding stuff can't be stored unobtrusively, then they don't get filled.

My grandfather was a hoarder, and when he died and the house had to be emptied, we actually found a room nobody realized existed because of all the stuff piled in front of the doorway. The trouble with that kind of volume, is that it can overwhelm people trying to go through everything in a limited amount of time and good stuff ends up just being pitched out. For example, we threw out three wringer washing machines in new condition. A shame that shouldn't happen.
    Good for you for being willing to take things as they come to you.
    I am trying to work on WIP's this year and pare down. I think mom's stash is about depleted, down there.
    Man, I look at some of the prices on the tags:roll:
    If it weren't for the fact that she crafted too, I would say she would have had me beat in the fabrics...she did some of everything!
    My body won't let me get that far out there, lol!
    When I get quilts made, i might have to stack them on this twin bed in here though.
    that'll be a laugh. I haven't made a single thing for myself yet... :-D

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    My dh and I live in a 3 bedroom house, 1 mbr to sleep, his room and my room. All my fabric is restricted to my room by my choice. My mom collects "things" and the clutter (although spotlessly clean) drives me crazy. Even when my sewing room gets out of sorts I start freaking. And I made a pact to not buy new fabric in 2010 unless I was given a gift card to a fabric store.
    So far, 25 days into Jan and I've held true. So my answer to you:
    one 10x10 bedroom's worth. :-D :-D :-D
    ahh! a fellow cleaner, purple!:-D
    It seems that quilters are either on one end of the spectrum or go way to the other end.:wink:

Well, I now have two empty good sized bedrooms. What the heck, the kids can sleep on the floor when they visit :oops: But seriously, i guess I'm not sure how much I would keep. If it was stuff I really loved, I would try to keep most of it. If it was stuff that I liked, but not loved, I think I would keep some and take some to my quilt group to share. If it started really getting in the way or I got to a point where I knew I wouldn't use it, then I would start sorting and divesting because there is always going to be new stuff that I am just going to have to have. Besides, it would be fun to see what others would make of it and I like to share.

Blog Entries
    As much as I can fit in my sewing room... Did I mention that I switched my bedroom to the smaller of the two :roll: LMBO

I am terrified of becoming a hoarder...I love to collect, but I don't like it getting past a certain point. We have 1 very large room which we share. Computer and quilting one side and my husband's art stuff on the other. My personal "rule" is nothing stashed in grocery bags or unidentified boxes and carpet must be visible. Before you ask....we don't draw a line down the middle...though if I sneak a box of fabric over his side he puts it firmly back where it should be!

It's great you are the recipient of all these goodies...but selling or passing on the bits you aren't totally in love with would be a great idea. Sad thing about hoarders is, nothing gets used or loved, and after so many years and odd storage methods it all just becomes garbage.

Anyway Mousie have lots of fun with your goodies...

limit? what means that? :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    As much as I can fit in my sewing room... Did I mention that I switched my bedroom to the smaller of the two :roll: LMBO
    LOL I am thinking about doing the same thing
    :oops:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    YES, Charlee...I want to know how crazy ppl would let it get??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    we joke about it...but what would you give up first...for real?
    I would keep some in shed...but it would ruin out there.
    You would be amazed all that I can cram in a 11x15 room!
    I'm amazed myself! :wink:
    right now i would dump my living room couch and put shelves up for more stash. that is going some in an rv! i am limited by weight restrictions but in a house------come on --------i would certainly have at least one LARGE room filled to the brim.
    be careful, be careful, least yea become like my friend who has only enough room to walk thru a room. there are limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    ~laffin~ Well....I'm getting rid of the bed in the guest room...does that answer your question? ;)
    LOL....just got rid of the bed in one of the spare rooms to make more space for mu "stuff".....now if I start moving DH's things out I figure I have a problem....until then I am just enjoying what I have!

Take it...sort it...use what you can and give the rest away..you will make someone else's day!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    Well, I now have two empty good sized bedrooms. What the heck, the kids can sleep on the floor when they visit :oops: But seriously, i guess I'm not sure how much I would keep. If it was stuff I really loved, I would try to keep most of it. If it was stuff that I liked, but not loved, I think I would keep some and take some to my quilt group to share. If it started really getting in the way or I got to a point where I knew I wouldn't use it, then I would start sorting and divesting because there is always going to be new stuff that I am just going to have to have. Besides, it would be fun to see what others would make of it and I like to share.
    I agree totally...A PLAN!
    I'm a great planner, lol,...just have to implement:wink:
    1-loves and permanently adopts
    2-likes and shares
    3-definitely finds it a new home

just bc I have family that have went to outrageous means by "my" perspective, (they CAN do what they want as long as they are not breaking the law, lol)...
    just bc I am related to them, does not mean I have to:
    monkey see, monkey do :lol:
    I just thought it would be interesting to know how ppl 'resist the urges'. I thought this would be a lighthearted laugh at ourselves.
    I have to laugh at my own creative 'savings', but i do have a limit.
    If I come across something this year, that I positively have to have to just 'make', that special project I have planned,...I'll give away something to make room.
    That is how I would talk my youngest into keeping down the piles in her room.
    "Sweetie if you pick out two things, we can give away, you'll have room to get something new."
    It worked somewhat...when she got married and I cleaned out her bedroom, she still had special shiny foil wrappers from kindergarten.
    Maybe she'll take up quilting when her wee ones are just a bit older.
    She has already shown a small interest in sewing some clothes.
    A mother can dream... :wink: and share, if she gets serious :!: :wink:
    (I would truly LOVE that!) :-D

lol, good thinking Amma. We only need a bed just a little bigger than we are to sleep, and i hear they make them fold up into the wall:XD:

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    limit? what means that? :mrgreen:
    :mrgreen: above all: laugh...and Bw, you sure do make ppl laugh :wink: :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by ebony
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    YES, Charlee...I want to know how crazy ppl would let it get??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    we joke about it...but what would you give up first...for real?
    I would keep some in shed...but it would ruin out there.
    You would be amazed all that I can cram in a 11x15 room!
    I'm amazed myself! :wink:
    right now i would dump my living room couch and put shelves up for more stash. that is going some in an rv! i am limited by weight restrictions but in a house------come on --------i would certainly have at least one LARGE room filled to the brim.
    be careful, be careful, least yea become like my friend who has only enough room to walk thru a room. there are limits.
    I'll never let it get to walking space only! I get claustro. that is why i keep cleaning and organizing.
    I like to keep it moving, instead of hoarding, but I also love to laugh at it all.
    I don't believe there is a quilter alive that wouldn't at least look in a bag of freebies and consider for a moment what was inside? Is there such a creature? not I....:mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    LOL I am thinking about doing the same thing
    :oops:
    alright! isn't quilting supposed to be fun?
    I think it's fun to get creative with storing:mrgreen:
    I also believe its up to the individual how much fun they intend to have :!:
    If one person draws the line at a corner... :thumbup: for them.
    If another wants a whole room and no more: :thumbup: to them.
    And if another can afford and wants: storage units and a bus... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by KBunn
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    ~laffin~ Well....I'm getting rid of the bed in the guest room...does that answer your question? ;)
    LOL....just got rid of the bed in one of the spare rooms to make more space for mu "stuff".....now if I start moving DH's things out I figure I have a problem....until then I am just enjoying what I have!

Take it...sort it...use what you can and give the rest away..you will make someone else's day!
    these are the best laid plans of mice and men:wink:

Give it to someone who will use it. Sell it so you have money to get what you need.

Blog Entries
    ask a school if they want the crafts, a senior center,nursing home.

You could always freecycle them in your area.
    www.freecycle.org
    to find one to join in your city.
    i would not tell him "no more", i would take them and bless someone with them.

Blog Entries
    Keep what you like, give away or sell what you don't want... It would be much easier on you!

Banned
    Oh , how lucky you are . I've never been that lucky . Nobody gives me fabric , pouting . Annie

Blog Entries
    My limit is not that much space. After having to empty out two great aunts house who kept everything, I won't keep piles or boxes of stuff. I have my sewing room and I don't mind having some stored stuff in there but not in the rest of the house. I don't like clutter and can't stand to open a closet or cabinet and see it stacked to the bursting. If stuff is stored like that how could I use it. Too much stored stuff everywhere is too stressful. I'll let the thrift store store it.

When it gets to the point where I have to buy another plastic bin for storage, that's when I donate to a quilt guild that sews for charity or goodwill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    My limit is not that much space. After having to empty out two great aunts house who kept everything, I won't keep piles or boxes of stuff. I have my sewing room and I don't mind having some stored stuff in there but not in the rest of the house. I don't like clutter and can't stand to open a closet or cabinet and see it stacked to the bursting. If stuff is stored like that how could I use it. Too much stored stuff everywhere is too stressful. I'll let the thrift store store it.
    Then never open one of my closets! lol... We're trying to go through things right now ... and our closets are full of stuff... the one front room closet is actually my clothes closet cause I'm sleeping in the living room... my sister has the other room for her and bf... and the other bedroom is the nursery... so mom and i sleep in the living room... we offered our rooms...

When my sister lost her battle with colon cancer in 2001, her 6 bedroom house & 2 storage facilities were packed with sewing & quilting items. It was very hard to deal with as I lived 300 miles away. Because teenager grandchildren were still living in the house, I believe a lot of the fabric was trashed rather than given to guilds. She had over 2500 quilt books & had never been on the internet. I am a retired librarian, so I managed to salvage most of the books & have gradually sent those books all over the world. You never know what you might have that someone else is looking for.

I am only willing to fill my sewing space. I love all things quilty but....there is only so much that i can keep. i would never turn anything away mind you but i would go through it see what i really wanted or needed and donate or give away the rest--there are others that need things more than me, like ppl that are just starting out quilting and even the kids in school!! plus i like to be organized and am not much of a hoarder.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast