Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :) >

If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Power Poster

I am terrified of becoming a hoarder...I love to collect, but I don't like it getting past a certain point. We have 1 very large room which we share. Computer and quilting one side and my husband's art stuff on the other. My personal "rule" is nothing stashed in grocery bags or unidentified boxes and carpet must be visible. Before you ask....we don't draw a line down the middle...though if I sneak a box of fabric over his side he puts it firmly back where it should be!

It's great you are the recipient of all these goodies...but selling or passing on the bits you aren't totally in love with would be a great idea. Sad thing about hoarders is, nothing gets used or loved, and after so many years and odd storage methods it all just becomes garbage.

Anyway Mousie have lots of fun with your goodies...
Old 01-25-2010, 09:22 PM

limit? what means that? :mrgreen:
Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
As much as I can fit in my sewing room... Did I mention that I switched my bedroom to the smaller of the two :roll: LMBO
LOL I am thinking about doing the same thing
:oops:
Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
YES, Charlee...I want to know how crazy ppl would let it get??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
we joke about it...but what would you give up first...for real?
I would keep some in shed...but it would ruin out there.
You would be amazed all that I can cram in a 11x15 room!
I'm amazed myself! :wink:
right now i would dump my living room couch and put shelves up for more stash. that is going some in an rv! i am limited by weight restrictions but in a house------come on --------i would certainly have at least one LARGE room filled to the brim.
be careful, be careful, least yea become like my friend who has only enough room to walk thru a room. there are limits.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
~laffin~ Well....I'm getting rid of the bed in the guest room...does that answer your question? ;)
LOL....just got rid of the bed in one of the spare rooms to make more space for mu "stuff".....now if I start moving DH's things out I figure I have a problem....until then I am just enjoying what I have!

Take it...sort it...use what you can and give the rest away..you will make someone else's day!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honey
Well, I now have two empty good sized bedrooms. What the heck, the kids can sleep on the floor when they visit :oops: But seriously, i guess I'm not sure how much I would keep. If it was stuff I really loved, I would try to keep most of it. If it was stuff that I liked, but not loved, I think I would keep some and take some to my quilt group to share. If it started really getting in the way or I got to a point where I knew I wouldn't use it, then I would start sorting and divesting because there is always going to be new stuff that I am just going to have to have. Besides, it would be fun to see what others would make of it and I like to share.
I agree totally...A PLAN!
I'm a great planner, lol,...just have to implement:wink:
1-loves and permanently adopts
2-likes and shares
3-definitely finds it a new home

just bc I have family that have went to outrageous means by "my" perspective, (they CAN do what they want as long as they are not breaking the law, lol)...
just bc I am related to them, does not mean I have to:
monkey see, monkey do :lol:
I just thought it would be interesting to know how ppl 'resist the urges'. I thought this would be a lighthearted laugh at ourselves.
I have to laugh at my own creative 'savings', but i do have a limit.
If I come across something this year, that I positively have to have to just 'make', that special project I have planned,...I'll give away something to make room.
That is how I would talk my youngest into keeping down the piles in her room.
"Sweetie if you pick out two things, we can give away, you'll have room to get something new."
It worked somewhat...when she got married and I cleaned out her bedroom, she still had special shiny foil wrappers from kindergarten.
Maybe she'll take up quilting when her wee ones are just a bit older.
She has already shown a small interest in sewing some clothes.
A mother can dream... :wink: and share, if she gets serious :!: :wink:
(I would truly LOVE that!) :-D
Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

As much as I can fit in my sewing room... Did I mention that I switched my bedroom to the smaller of the two :roll: LMBO
lol, good thinking Amma. We only need a bed just a little bigger than we are to sleep, and i hear they make them fold up into the wall:XD:
Old 01-26-2010, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
limit? what means that? :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: above all: laugh...and Bw, you sure do make ppl laugh :wink: :mrgreen:
Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ebony
Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
YES, Charlee...I want to know how crazy ppl would let it get??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
we joke about it...but what would you give up first...for real?
I would keep some in shed...but it would ruin out there.
You would be amazed all that I can cram in a 11x15 room!
I'm amazed myself! :wink:
right now i would dump my living room couch and put shelves up for more stash. that is going some in an rv! i am limited by weight restrictions but in a house------come on --------i would certainly have at least one LARGE room filled to the brim.
be careful, be careful, least yea become like my friend who has only enough room to walk thru a room. there are limits.
I'll never let it get to walking space only! I get claustro. that is why i keep cleaning and organizing.
I like to keep it moving, instead of hoarding, but I also love to laugh at it all.
I don't believe there is a quilter alive that wouldn't at least look in a bag of freebies and consider for a moment what was inside? Is there such a creature? not I....:mrgreen:
Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sharon b
LOL I am thinking about doing the same thing
:oops:
alright! isn't quilting supposed to be fun?
I think it's fun to get creative with storing:mrgreen:
I also believe its up to the individual how much fun they intend to have :!:
If one person draws the line at a corner... :thumbup: for them.
If another wants a whole room and no more: :thumbup: to them.
And if another can afford and wants: storage units and a bus... :lol: :lol: :lol: