Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :) >

If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 AM

I THINK I've reached my limit, then along comes another quilt to make for someone, and off I go to the LQS to get fabric. I am trying to get down to just the storage area under my cutting table, thus relieving the stuff in the closets in the room.

I keep wondering who is going to want all this when I am dead and gone.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I would accept all of it. Go through everything, keep what you think you will use and donate the rest to charity.

Your local ASG would gladly take fabrics and often times Community Senior Centers have a need for all kinds of crafts. I'm sure you will be able to find many organizations that would be very appreciative of any donation.
Ditto!!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
I'd still like to know the answer to my original question, that some answered:
what is YOUR limit?

I have too much of a stash however have been buying batiks lately... :roll:
I´m more interested in chosing projects to use my stash than browsing catalogs for fabrics .. :shock:
Does it count as getting close to a limit ?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:10 PM

I have shelving in my sewing area (ceiling 11 foot high)shelves 2 foot deep and 12 feet long. Full. My garage has storage on 3 sides next to the ceiling. 3 foot deep and 3 foot high times 24 feet (that's 72 lineal feet). Cabinets (12) along 2 sides, 18" deep by 2 footwide by 6" tall, plus scattered boxes throughout the house. The fabric store I worked at closed. My husband said thank goodness, he didn't want to move out.

In the meantime we moved and I took about 6 packed SUV's to the local organizations. My husband built in shelving for me in the basement and I was told if it didn't fit get rid of it. It is now 2 years later and about 20 quilts and I am still full. I have bought nothing for 2 years. I could probably make another 200 quilts and still have fabric.

I said 'No More' when my store closed and I realized what I had. But, I love my stash and am enjoying making quilts and sharing my fabric with other quilting friends. When I die I told my husband to call my quilting friends and they can help themselves.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

When the thought of putting away those new treasures gives me a headache and a sense of "chore."
Old 02-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Hmmm....I think quilters DO NOT have a limit when it comes to how much fabric, books, mags, etc.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
~laffin~ Well....I'm getting rid of the bed in the guest room...does that answer your question? ;)
Did that when DD got married. That's where I keep the fabric.
Let your brother keep giving you Grandma's stuff. You might find a real treasure you would have missed. (Did you see the redwork quilt on a recent post) There's always under the bed. I keep things in my extra bathtub so I can have more fabric room. As someone else said give it to friends, the guild. We have a group here called "freecycle". It's by county and you can give stuff away if you don't want to sell it. Or sell it on Craigslist.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
Mousie, I don't have a limit. I have an addiction. I have tons of fabric and keep telling myself that I don't need any more till I empty out one plastic tub. Well , I was in Walmart in a different town and found the most beautiful purple and yellow Peony Collection. And I thought that would make a beautiful quilt of some sorts. Altho I have never seen a peony that was purple or yellow. So I bought all 5 prints that went together; getting 4-6 yards of each because I didn't know what I was going to make and wanted to make sure I had enough whenever I get around to it. :roll:
LOL...I've never bought that much of one print, but I have bought that much yardage at one time!
Some days I try to get a grip, and some days, I just get gripped...by my yearnings:wink:
Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I lost my sewing room when my mother moved in with us...alz and bed ridden. So I got real creative. Fab, quilts, and ufos are stored under everyones bed in Space Bags..just love those suckers. Bought 66 gal plastic containers to store my fab and all 16 of them are stacked against a wall in our bedroom. I did give up a corner of our dining room for my sewing table and and dining table doubles as cutting area. Just hate it when it's time to eat. I don't have any more places to store any more fab so I have reached my limit. right now I'm going through all the container, refolding evrything into smaller bundles and dontatint the old, odd, never will be use fabric to my quilt group. We meet this Tuesday and can't wait to get rid of this stuff. We're anticipating a cross country move so need to purge.

Julie in NM
Space bags, hmmm!
Some quilters are going to be mighty happy with your purging, Julie! :thumbup:
Old 02-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by craftybear
Hi,

What kinds of things did you get? You know I have been cleaning my house and donating things to others.

Last year I took clothes, shoes, purses down to a local nursing home and they loved the idea of getting donations. So I took more stuff to them! I got a nice thank you note from them and she told me in person wish more people would do that as those people in the nursing homes don't have much and no family.

Also I had lots of coloring books and things for kids so I took that stuff to a daycare. They were thrilled with the items, puzzels, maps etc.

Karen
win-win:XD: