Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :) >

If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

you can always "pass it on" to others who could use it. so get going.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 AM

I'm sure there are quite a few of us on here that could use fabric! lol... Just find a good use for it ... a good place to send it... or something.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
YES, Charlee...I want to know how crazy ppl would let it get??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
we joke about it...but what would you give up first...for real?
I would keep some in shed...but it would ruin out there.
You would be amazed all that I can cram in a 11x15 room!
I'm amazed myself! :wink:
If my husband told me that it was him or my quilting, I would take my quilting. That is what I would give up!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 AM

if you really need help dispersing, i'll be happy to help. pm for my address.

anyone else out there want to join me and help out? now, now, remember this is a fellow member. we have to think of her well-being and not be so selfish about giving our effort to clean out her stash for her.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 AM

quiltncrazy: All of the suggestions you received are good ones. There are many organizations that do charity quilts for the less fortunate and would love to receive your unwanted supplies. As far as your Grandmother is concerned, I would let your uncle know that you are interested in your Grandmother's items and would help him go through her things when he was ready to do so. As one of the members said, a man will probably throw them out. ECLTQ.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Find your local Girl Scouts Troop, and offer it to them. If it's anything like our troops (Daisey's and Brownies in our house) they'll be more than happy to put it to good use. The economy has taken it's toll on them as well. A lot of the leaders are using funds from their own pockets to supply the girls with things they need to earn badges and/or make things to contribute to their local communities.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM

college theater departments are another good choice. or high school.

EDITED: if you decide to donate, try to determine the value of the fabric. you may be able to deduct the amount at tax time. some charities will give you a receipt. win-win-win
Old 01-26-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My limit is not that much space. I won't keep piles or boxes of stuff. I have my sewing room and I don't mind having some stored stuff in there but not in the rest of the house.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by don't do dishes
If I get too much that it starts over flowing from my sewing room, it's time to down size.
my sewing room used to be a small bedroom and I store all my fabric in the double wide closet. If it doesn't fit in the closet, it doesn't stay in my stash.
I'm not worried about mine getting out of hand, I plan on doing a lot and some sharing along the way, but alas I am slow and steady. (at least I'm steady! I use to be on wheels, but age has changed that:? )
It makes my mom happy that she can ask me if I have this piece or that piece, good thing I haven't given it away:shock:
Old 01-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miss Mona
I worked at Hancocks for years. Every once in awhile the manager would go through and sell the fabric at $1.00 a yard to get rid of it. I couldn't resist, $1.00 a yard. After awhile I had no place to store it so gave some for charity for their quilts. My name got around and I had about 6 different charity organizations asking for fabric donations about twice a year. Just give fabric to one and your name will get around. Keep the pieces you really like and put what you don't like in some kind of plastic bags and start giving away. You'll be surprised at the phone calls you receive.
If I did, my mom would be sure to ask me if I still have it!
Eventually some of it will be gifted, but not right now for sure.
I'm tired, lol.
I want to get quilts done for my kids and grandkids to make sure I won't give away something that would have worked out great. All in due time.:wink: