Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :) >

If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by penski
i agree go thru and keep what you want and pass the rest of it on my mother in law was doing that to me but what she was getting was junk from garage sales i finally had to make the comment in front of her that i had more than enough stuff to last me for a long time and she stopped but hey its the thought that counts !!!! put it on here im sure there are some of us that could maybe take it off your hands !!

:lol: :lol:
Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM

When we first married, my husband, a minister, told me to never turn anything down someone wanted to give me, even if I just took it down the road and threw it out!
Recently, my Son-in-Law, brought his deceased Mother's stash to me in two well stretched 40 gallon garbage bags, 4 boxes about 16x16 or so. It was quilt, garment,homedec fabric. I did just what you suggested. Thank goodness it did not smell. I sorted it, kept what I wanted. Then called a neighbor to come see if she wanted any of it. Well, she took some, including a pretty floral piece for draperies. She said, "I have two dresses at home that I can wear with this." She made the most beautiful plain jacket and has since made more dresses. Then, I let my 1/2day a week housecleaner go through it. You should have seen the bright orange piece of double knit, talk about putting your eyes out! Then, there is a charity sale every first Tuesday over in town, so I took it there. Nothing stays around long there. These days there is a place for it. But, IMO, please be kind and throw out the dirty, moldy, too small for anything like pieces that are less that an inch wide. I know, I'm talkative. Silvia
Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 PM

I personnally would accept it graciously and say "Thank You!" I have gotten several treasures that way. If I get something I don't have use for or something not quite up to my standards, it goes to Goodwill or the Senior Citizens Center, they have a trading post where other seniors can purchase items for very little money. I always take my extra yarn there and it doesn't stay around very long. Most of the Seniors around here spend so much on medicine, that there isn't much left for things like hobbies,so I like to share whenever I have extra at the end of a project. Also, we have a lady in our quilting guild who will take anything. But, we also share and swap things we no longer can use or store.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM

I wouldn't be able to turn any of it down. I'm running low on storage space (have a small spare bedroom), but would find a way to keep it. I would definitely consider storing fabrics outside of my studio door in other parts of the house if I really liked them. I just noticed that there is space under the hanging coats in the entry closet. Just right for a rubbermaid box or 2. When $ is tight, the gifts of fabric are more than welcome. Those that I wouldn't use would go to my guild to bless someone else.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

I was recently offered some fabric stuff and I passed, sight unseen. Instead, I gave the gal the contact info for two different charitable organizations with sewing circles. My stash needs to be completely reorganized to fit in the cabinets. It gets so overwhelming and at that point it stops being fun.

Can you pull out a few pieces that are meaningful to you and either sell or give away the rest?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 PM

I am bad, I would take it and even if I didnt like it I might keep it.

When my mother (a quilter :) ) went to the nursing home my sister and I sorted her fabric and books together. She is into applique and i am into more traditional piecing. If I liked a fabric she didnt and vice versa so it worked really well for us.

My tastes in fabric has changed so much in the last 10-years. I used to HATE paisley's now I am drawn to them. So I take all and have my bins for "someday" I hope I like this... But I also have a good size room (about 12 x 14)and I will only store fabric in my room, however I have quilt books or magazines all over the house...never know when inspiration is needed.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM

i keep things a looong time before i give them up. i have a friend that will take anything, and i mean anything, so off it goes to her. if it's yardage it goes to a local guild that i don't belong to for raffle quilts at big shows. if it's something that i think someone here would like, i give it away. once i sold two pieces.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 PM

If the fabric is spilling out of the closet and you're having trouble walking in your sewing room, it's time to weed out the stuff you know you will never use or the fabric that just doesn't excite you anymore. Getting rid of stuff will free up yoour creativity!!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM

when things get that bad, get rid of brown.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 PM

hahaha!!! I agree!