Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you buy fabric online... (poll) >

If you buy fabric online... (poll)

If you buy fabric online... (poll)

Old 03-24-2012, 05:03 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by darlin121 View Post
When I look for fabric online I am looking for something specific usually. Names don't concern me overmuch. Some times that "cabbage rose" turns out to be a really lovely fabric. There are always surprises out there!
Same for me...
Old 03-24-2012, 05:13 AM

When I buy fabric online the fabric line name does not have any influence of me. Sometimes I look at the manufacture because I have my favorite companies. Then at the collections, very rarely do I look by color only if I plan on doing a quilt or need a particular color. What I do too is right down a few fabric lines I would like to purchase as I see them used in some of the magazines I get, or the online quilt shop.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:20 AM

I look at all fabric! If I think they may have something I'm looking for.......I don't care about the name. I've found great fabric in very weird named places online...........and that always makes me smile!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 AM

I look at all the fabrics and rarely at the names. I have many areas of interest to work with, so the names just don't enter into it. In 2 yrs only once did I need the name of the fabric & that was because I had trouble locating a coordinating fabric I wanted.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM

I have purchased many, many, many, yards of music fabric. Sometimes a fabric line has a name that sounds musical but has ntohing to do with music or instruments. Other lines like Elizabeth Studios have names like Live Jazz that really is music.
So yes, I do look at names but that does not always get me what I am looking for.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:12 AM

I'm only concerned with how the fabric looks and not with the name.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:42 AM

I only use the names for searching purposes, other than that they have no influence on my decision to buy or not.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
I'm afraid I don't even notice the names - poor, sad fabric marketers! I don't pay attention to their efforts!! To narrow the field of online fabrics I usually start somewhere like Hancock's of P and visit the discount bins.
This is Me exactly.

So, the answer is, "No, I don't pay attention to the name--just how it looks" and the price. I didn't realize fabric had names for their patterns for the longest time...
Old 03-25-2012, 04:13 AM

Names have never mattered to me, I look at all the fabrics and choose what I like. I guess because sometimes I have looked at names and they make no sense to me when I look at the fabric. Not sure who comes up with the names, but in some cases I think they need to rethink them
Old 03-25-2012, 04:26 AM

I pick out fabric by ignoring the themes I know I don't want...kids,tractors cats,etc. But then when I am looking at what I know I want,I have to go through the whole line. And when I'm on a batik site, I look at every single thing! I don't consider names very much.