Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you buy fabric online... (poll)

I'm only concerned with how the fabric looks and not with the name.
    Lynn

I only use the names for searching purposes, other than that they have no influence on my decision to buy or not.

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    I'm afraid I don't even notice the names - poor, sad fabric marketers! I don't pay attention to their efforts!! To narrow the field of online fabrics I usually start somewhere like Hancock's of P and visit the discount bins.
    This is Me exactly.

So, the answer is, "No, I don't pay attention to the name--just how it looks" and the price. I didn't realize fabric had names for their patterns for the longest time...

Names have never mattered to me, I look at all the fabrics and choose what I like. I guess because sometimes I have looked at names and they make no sense to me when I look at the fabric. Not sure who comes up with the names, but in some cases I think they need to rethink them
    Amythyst

I pick out fabric by ignoring the themes I know I don't want...kids,tractors cats,etc. But then when I am looking at what I know I want,I have to go through the whole line. And when I'm on a batik site, I look at every single thing! I don't consider names very much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi65 View Post
    I LOOK at ALL the fabric!! Never know what you'll see. I don't want to miss out on something that catches my eye. So I can't say I go by the name. Interesting to see what your poll finds.
    I also look at all fabric. When shopping on line, I am more apt to purchase something that catches my eye. I purchase all my fabric using the eye appeal method.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    The names don't affect whether I look at a fabric line or not. I barely pay attention to the name. It's the fabric I'm interested in finding.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    it depends, as I am not a PRINT person, I prefer textured blenders. SO I usually find the best blenders as part of a line I might not normally be attracted to! I tend to go by maker names!

No, I hardly even pay attention to the name of the fabric line. I am shopping for fabric, not a catchy name, so it does not influence me in the slightest.
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

If I am just shopping, I am likely to look at anything. When looking for a specific item I have trouble relating to what they call it as opposed to what I think it is or should be called

When I buy online I'm usually looking by color or style (solids, geometrics, etc). A lot of the time I've found a remnant or end piece at my local fabric warehouse and will go online with the complete name of the designer, manufacturer and style number to find more of it. That's how I found this board - someone had several yards of a fabric that I'd found at the warehouse and of which I wanted more.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I do use the names to help narrow my search for the fabrics I want. I have to limit my time online so can't look at thousands of fabrics just for the fun of it. I do check out the bargain bins tho!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I go for the manufacture name-ie Moda, Kaufmann, Timeless-then I go for style or type-ie blender, child, pattern. I always check the bargain bins first then go to sale items then go to the full price area if I am looking for something special. Since all my quilts are for charity I mostly juggle sale and bargain fabric. That said I do occasionally buy from a LQS if I need a certain colour. Names of fabric line can turn me off.

There are certain colors that always appeal to me as do Roses in fabric. I rarely, purchase backing until the project is done.

There are times when I will purchase a main fabric, hold it for awhile, then start hunting for accent fabrics and the pattern to build my project.

Right now I am looking at Moda's Sweet Sixteen in pink or yellow.
    http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_Sweet_Sixteen.pdf
    Renea

A quilting I will go......

www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

I usually am looking for a specific color or theme. I don't look at the names. If it is what I am looking for I buy it. I love shopping on line!

I really don't look at the name until I'm thinking about what to do with the selvage, to be honest....even then, I'm more concerned with the color and appearance of the name than the actual name. Most of the time, I don't find any of the names particularly clever, so I would not let that influence my purchases.
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

To be honest I don't even look at the name of the line. I look at the colors and the pictures of the fabric (soft roses, bright yellows/greens/blues, baby fabrics etc.) The fabric maker is high on my list too (Moda/RJR/etc.) and then the designer comes last. What a great question. It has me thinking about how I do buy my fabric. Since I buy 90% of my fabric online I think the web site designers have to hook you in with pictures first making you want to enter their site and see more. Anyway thanks for the question.

elm
    Sometimes I search by color. I always check the sales. Have never paid much attention to names.

I usually look for "themes" like floral, romance, animals, etc. first and then always check the sale or clearance bins before I make any final decisions. I'm on a fixed income so have to watch the pennies.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Me too Pippi65 - I spend hours just looking when I really should be sewing (or sleeping). Sometimes a particular fabric just screams out a pattern or idea and I build around that...

Quote Originally Posted by pippi65 View Post
    I LOOK at ALL the fabric!! Never know what you'll see. I don't want to miss out on something that catches my eye. So I can't say I go by the name. Interesting to see what your poll finds.
    Shannon

The ease of use of the website makes a huge difference to me. If I have to scroll through pages and pages of fabrics to find what I need or want, I don't even bother. Many times I will know the name of a collection and will look to see what else comes in that collection. Or if I am trying to find one more fabric by a particular manufacturer or designer Ii will look just for that. But some of these websites are killing themselves by the way they are set up for the shopper. If check-out is a pain I've been known to cancel the order!

I usually do a search for a specific color. I am usually pretty lucky with color match. Not including this last time.....I have about 8 or 9 single yards that did not 'go with'.

Lots of good answers. I think my point was that I'm more apt to look at a fabric line that's named "caribbean sunset" and pass by the one named "fungus on my toe". I guess I might miss some good fabrics, but I'm not interested in fungus on my toe fabric. lol

I made those names up, please don't do a search for fungus on my toe fabric.

I don't pay attention to the names unless I'm looking for something to match a specific line. If I'm browsing I'm still looking for a type of fabric like faux suede or batiks or strip sets. I guess I do notice the names on the strip sets because they usually sound yummy, like Berry bliss and Zinfandel and key lime!

I don't even look at names. I just like to look.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast