Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you could have any iron which would it be?? >

If you could have any iron which would it be??

If you could have any iron which would it be??

Old 02-17-2015, 02:22 PM

I may have to get an Oliso iron someday soon. I have lots of trouble with arthritis in my hand and shoulder, which makes the motion of setting an iron up and down somewhat painful. I wish I could find a really lightweight iron that did a good job.

Re the auto shutoff - I wouldn't be without it! I left my tiny iron on all night not long ago - thank goodness the cat didn't knock it over! I forgot to do it that day, but most times I put an orange elastic around my wrist when I turn on the iron. If it's still on my wrist when I'm making dinner, I know to go turn the iron off! Even with auto-shutoff on my big iron, I'd rather it be completely off. I also turn off the power to the surge protector it's plugged into. I've heard stories of irons catching rooms on fire!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I may have to get an Oliso iron someday soon. I have lots of trouble with arthritis in my hand and shoulder, which makes the motion of setting an iron up and down somewhat painful. I wish I could find a really lightweight iron that did a good job.

Re the auto shutoff - I wouldn't be without it! I left my tiny iron on all night not long ago - thank goodness the cat didn't knock it over! I forgot to do it that day, but most times I put an orange elastic around my wrist when I turn on the iron. If it's still on my wrist when I'm making dinner, I know to go turn the iron off! Even with auto-shutoff on my big iron, I'd rather it be completely off. I also turn off the power to the surge protector it's plugged into. I've heard stories of irons catching rooms on fire!
I have to agree, you're very right on the safety aspects!
I just don't like the auto shutoff when I'm piecing and ironing...but I just try to remember to pick up my iron and tip it so it comes back on every now and again..

Cabbagepatchkid,
I also bought my Continental dry iron through Amazon.
Regards,
Kif
Old 02-17-2015, 03:18 PM

I want an oliso but I have read to many problems of them not working past warranty and they are not cheap irons, but they look so nice to use and I really want one, hoping they will improve by the time my rowenta takes a dump but it has been working 9 years so can't compain
Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

I have the iron I want, why buy one I don't want? LOL. In fact I have different irons for different types of ironing. I found a Rowenta made in Germany on sale at Tuesday Morning store and it has really been a great iron. I have the Reliable iron and it is a good iron but my DD borrowed it and of course I probably won't get it back. My guild has the Oliso irons and they are nice too. It's hard to get used to the feet rising using different irons though.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by wildwoodflower12390 View Post
My iron is a Black & Decker "The Classic" Iron. It has some weight to it, which I like. It isn't overly big, and does a good job. Purchased at Wallmart.
this is the one I have as well, and it does everything I need it to. I rarely use the steam, and it is heavy - which I like now, but could be a problem in the future.

Last edited by Trene; 02-17-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-17-2015, 04:12 PM

I recently bought a dry iron like the old ones, from the Vermont Country Store. Love it, especially for applique!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
On the Oliso, you can shut off the steam completely. It has a stainless-steel soleplate. It does have an auto-shutoff, but it is standing up, the shut off is at 20 min. When you touch it after a shutoff, it takes it less than 20 seconds to fully reheat.
Does the Oliso 1600 signify it is 1600 watts? If yes, I might take a crack at it!
Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
Does the Oliso 1600 signify it is 1600 watts? If yes, I might take a crack at it!
The Oliso is 1800 watts.

Thank you all for your insight. Still leaning towards the Oliso. I may end up regretting it but it is stuck in my head. You know how that goes!!!
Old 02-17-2015, 06:56 PM

I have a Reliable Digital Velocity and if I had to replace it, I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't touch a Rowenta with a 10 foot pole. Way too many horror stories of fires, burns, arcing, etc. for me to even risk it.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:02 PM

I have a Rowenta and a EuroPro. Love both of them. The Rowenta has the auto-shut off but is very quick to restart. The other has no auto shut off. Both require distilled water. Using that, I've had no issues with either other than me or the dogs knocking them off the table! I've always been in the habit of unplugging my irons every time I use them. Just been a fact of life for me for almost as many years as I've been alive.