Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could purchase anything at cost, with no shipping. . .

RST
    Blog Entries
    what would you stock up on? I have an opportunity (limited time) to buy fabric or quilting supplies at wholesale price, with no shipping. I probably should not spend more than $200 total.

So what would you stock up on? A roll of batting? A full bolt of fabric? Would you buy versatile solids (Kona snow or cream, jet black, ash? ) Or would you buy a whole bolt of a fabulous print? Threads?

I'm enjoying the idea, but when it comes right down to committing to a big order, I find myself stalling. Inspire me, please.
    RST

That is the time I would buy a roll of batting. I always buy mine when Jo Ann's has a 50% off coupon and free shipping. It really saves me a lot of money when I get it this way and I go through a roll in about a year.

Blog Entries
    Oh, I would buy rulers, cutting mats and gadgets I would want, but never can justify the cost. I remember the comment my daughter made the other day "Having the right tools for quilting is the same as a carpenter having the right tools to do the job".

I would buy my Kono's solids I constantly use.

most definitely batting.....hardest to find and used the most!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Remember fabric prices will be going up.. If you use a lot of kona solids I'd buy the top two or three if I can wing the cost plus thread in colors I can afford that I KNOW I would use plus a roll or two of batting.. If I had the space I'd buy more... Batting is soooooo expensive!!!

Cutter blades, needles, batting, anything that you use on a regular basis and always need. Solid colors of fabric or blenders that would go with other things. Pick your favorite colors, or a Christmas theme, blacks and whites, etc.

A real treat to buy at wholesale and no shipping.

Well, I'd stock up on batting / threads/ basic "staples" needed for quilting. Lucky You!!! :):):)

Quote Originally Posted by wuv2quilt
    Well, I'd stock up on batting / threads/ basic "staples" needed for quilting. Lucky You!!! :):):)
    My thoughts too. Fabrics can be so trendy and tastes do change. Batting is always used. A new cutting board would be good too.

piney

i would buy fabric - the price increases have effect fabric at a much higher rate then batting.

Banned
    batting and backing.....there may be minimums on notions.
    bolts of other fabric only if you use a lot of it.
    But will always use batting and fabric for backing. Wide backing is about 5-6$ per yd wholesale at some places.

Blog Entries
    at wholesale with no shipping i would definitly buy a bolt of batting- since i seem to constantly be out---
    if i were going to stock up on any fabrics i would probably choose 108" or wider backing fabrics
    if tools were what i wanted i'd stock up on rotory blades- since they are so dog-gone expensive....
    but if i had to stick to $200 or less- i'd definitly go with the batting.
    but i suppose that would depend on how much actual quilting you do- since i'm quilting 5-10 quilts a week i always need batting.

Backings , and blenders! You can always use a good blender for a backing if you have enough and don't mind a seam. So I would be inclined to get a bolt of a great blender neutral. But if you have a really large stash of projects like the next ten years ... think of the supplies to you will need to complete.
    As for batting ... a 50 percent off coupon can get you pretty far.... so I would go for the stuff that never on sale at cost ... when was the lat time you saw an ad for 50 percent of or more of fabric.... the good stuff?

Cash???

Blog Entries
    Hmm...some of all the above suggestions...and, you didn't say if this was part of the "wish"...but I would get a HQ sixteen stitch regulated quilting machine and pro frame package...I'm thinking if I am dreaming, I will dream big...but not so big it would be out of reach...have fun with whatever you decide to get...
    K

Fabric, FQ probably. Let us know what goodies you get.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to build a large craft room on to my home. And furnish it with sturdy, practical furnishings. Then I might have room for all my 'stuff.'

I would buy batting & fabric- solids, blenders & a few great looking prints.

If you do any embroidering I would definitely spend it on thread and stabilizers.

The new Gamill quilting machine, Oh Yeah ;-)

OK, do you know of a sale coming up! What a dream come true to just shop at reduced prices and free shipping.

Come on, where is the sale? LOL

I would buy fabric and rulers.

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    what would you stock up on? I have an opportunity (limited time) to buy fabric or quilting supplies at wholesale price, with no shipping. I probably should not spend more than $200 total.

So what would you stock up on? A roll of batting? A full bolt of fabric? Would you buy versatile solids (Kona snow or cream, jet black, ash? ) Or would you buy a whole bolt of a fabulous print? Threads?

I'm enjoying the idea, but when it comes right down to committing to a big order, I find myself stalling. Inspire me, please.
    RST

RST
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, not a sale. A friend who owns a fabric store is giving me a one time opportunity as a favor.

RST

I would definitely pick up six yards of of each favorite fabric. Batting can always be purchased at Joanns with a 40-50% off coupon (tools and rulers as well). But good LQS fabrics are never found on sale. If you make Christmas presents for family - now would be the time to plan and purchase for that. (Even if you aren't making a Christmas item). A quilt for Christmas? Any fabric you love or they will love. Fabric, fabric, fabric! (Also think blenders - can be used with anything - any time.)

Quote Originally Posted by RST

RST
    Fabric. Definatly fabric.

If this were me this is what I would get:
    *Moda marbles (for stained glass wallhangings)
    *Purples that I really liked (for planned cathedral quilt)
    *Kona solids in black (can never have enough black!)
    *Asian prints (want to make a scrappy origami crane quilt)
    *Black crackle fabric (for heavy metal t-shirt quilt)
    *Anything else I could use and/or just fell in love with

You should be asking yourself what you need. Let's say you've "always wanted to do a (insert quilt name) quilt". Why not get fabric and supplies for that? Or if you use a lot of a certain fabric, stock up on that (like me with solid blacks). Perhaps get something that's completely out of your normal confort zone...like, hypothetically, if you told yourself you would NEVER make a quilt with orange or 1930's reproduction prints...and decide to try and make something with that.

I would get as much Lila Tueller fabric as I could. I just love her stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast