Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: If you could "buy" anything from the itunes store...

If you could "buy" anything from the itunes store...

I find myself with a $50 gift card to spend and... buyer's stage fright!

I've looked at tons of things for my iPad, knowing that I use it mainly for quilting things - looking for surface design, reading quilting magazines, carrying patterns with me to sewing groups - and listening to music, I've looked at apps (but so few have reviews) and eBooks (I really think I like the look of a physical book better - they're beautifully laid out, the ebooks are... utilitarian) and I just can't decide.

For an example, look here: Angela Walter's Shape by Shape
    http://www.amazon.com/Shape-Free-Mot...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

If you click on the "Look inside" and page through it as an ebook, then page through it as a physical copy there's just no comparison. Maybe I'm just becoming that visual but I really like the physical one better...

So, if you could buy virtually anything in the iTunes store, what would you choose?

If you have a gift card you don't care for as much maybe trade it for another gift card with some one else. Also regifting it might be an option. Sorry I am of no big help but I much prefer the hard copy books also.
    Anna Quilts

I have been tempted to buy a quilt book on Amazon but I just keep chickening out. There is something special about having the book open right there.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I buy a $25.00 gift card once in a while. I usually buy music to listen to on my iPod and occasionally a tv series to watch.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    If you have a gift card you don't care for as much maybe trade it for another gift card with some one else. Also regifting it might be an option. Sorry I am of no big help but I much prefer the hard copy books also.
    Well, that was probably an option before but I have already added the amount to my account so I don't think I can do that anymore. You're right though, I could have done that if I'd realized earlier that this would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I have been tempted to buy a quilt book on Amazon but I just keep chickening out. There is something special about having the book open right there.
    The funny part is that I typically buy the hard copies and then often scan them for my own personal use so I can have them on my iPad. The quality isn't as good as buying the eBook and the size is huge but the layout is much more attractive and I have the best of both worlds - I can touch it and still carry 60lbs worth of books with me to peruse when I'm out and about. Which book were you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    I buy a $25.00 gift card once in a while. I usually buy music to listen to on my iPod and occasionally a tv series to watch.
    I suspect that's what I'm going to end up doing. Of course I'm also drawing a blank on what music I've wanted in the recent past! Maybe I should just lay down until the indecision passes then try again.

Blog Entries
    My mother in law was very reluctant to buy books from iTunes- or get a kindle.... Insisted she only wanted ( hard copies). Then she received an iPad for Christmas, with a couple books already added. She Loves It! Now she always requests and gets excited to receive those gift cards.
    I use an android tablet with my kindle app and have found I love having quilting books on it.some I have in hard copy too, some digitals are enough. I can quickly look something up when shopping, the graphics are wonderful, I can zoom in on areas I can not do that with the book... For me it has opened lots of new doors. And, there are tons of book offerings besides quilt books.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I'd buy all Elisabeth Elliot's books.....I love to listen to her talks while sewing/quilting

ckcowl, I decided a while ago - as far as recreational reading - that I didn't want hard copies anymore. I read too much and books tend to spring out of my hands when I'm laying down reading and hit me in the face when I fall asleep. I've been reading on an eReader for probably 5 years now - just this summer I bought a Kindle Paperwhite, before that it's always been epub based readers. Quilting books though, I don't seem to be able to make the transition. My studio is the only room in the house with physical books that regularly get cracked open.

Maybe I'll take the plunge though on the couple of quilting books and see what I think. If this card didn't cost me anything, at least I can buy the hard copies later and not feel too badly about it.

RN-Quilter - I listen to a lot of audible books and audiobooks I get from the library, but I feel like if I want to "buy it", I want something I'll listen to more than once. So I suppose that rules out most recreational "reading" but perhaps some of the motivational speakers would be good for me.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    No help here, I don't use them.

I would buy more music. Its so nice to have it in the background while I am quilting. Especially because there are no adso or commercials

I listen to tons of music - it's habit, when I was in my teens, I used to sing in a band - but I think I have most or all of the music I want currently. There's not a lot out there these days that I like and I bought most of what I like years ago. I suppose I could poke around and see if there's stuff I've never seen from some of the bands I like - sometimes there are iTunes exclusives and such, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    RN-Quilter - ..................... So I suppose that rules out most recreational "reading" but perhaps some of the motivational speakers would be good for me.
    I have done enough "recreational reading" to last me a lifetime!!
    And I am VERY picky which "motivational" speaker I listen to....most of them are just psycho-babbling....
    There are only a few that really stimulates me to think of what I do, and how or why I do it....and Elisabeth Elliot is currently at the top of the list!
    Happy day everyone!