Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you fall in love with a fabric...

BUY IT!!! I saw a great Asian print I thought would be brilliant to make a wall hanging quilt for my sister-in-law. I didn't buy it - Hanako's treasures - and it is gone gone gone. There will never be another one. The next year I was ready to make her a quilt (I have been practicing on my family, one quilt at a time!) I ended up making something else in a floral/seashore look. She was looking at fabric with me recently and saw some Asian prints and raved about them. She would have loved Hanako but it is too late.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I would buy it!! I prefer yardage over precuts tho...Just as the fabric calls to you- a pattern for it will to one of these days.

If the fabric sings to me, I buy even without any project in mind. Maybe that's how come I have all this fabric. I know eventually I'll find a project for the fabric.......maybe. My sister though she doesn't sew, she loves to look and feel all the luscious fabrics. So you don't have to sew to love fabric.

Suz in Iowa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    Buy it - if you're thinking about it enough to be writing about on here, it says a lot.

Life's too short - you'll regret it if you don't.
    I agree 100% When a fabric takes possession of you it's just better to bring it home with you. Think of all the gas you'll save on visits. LOL And eventually you will have GranBabies that will need quilts.. Ya GOTTA think about the far off future -cotton will cost so much more and by stashing fabrics now think off all the money you /and the rest of us will be saving ...This is what I tell every one who comments on my mini-fabric store.

Yep. I buy EVERY Fleur de Lis fabric I can find. Don't know what I will make with them, but I buy them!!!

I just can't walk away from fabric I love. I always buy at least three yards so I am sure I have enough when in find a pattern I want to use with it.

Love the Posey - I may have to buy it to go along with the Sherbet Pips also by Aneela Hooey. I don't have any little girls to make a pink quilt for either, but I love the fabric and every time I go through my stash it makes me happy to look at it. You'll love looking at the Posey too. Buy it.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Just buy it you will regret later you let it slip through your fingers.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Make a hope chest for unborn grandchildren. Many people are delaying starting their families until they are much older than previous generations were, and who knows if you'll be up to making quilts by the time they might be needed!
    ~signed: "Enabler"
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

When I fall in love with a fabric I buy it. Usually only 1 yard if I have no idea what I want to do with it. If it puts a pattern in my mind's eye I get 2 & 1/2 yards. Of course that's why I have a massive stash & have to rein myself in for the next couple of years. Lol!
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

I purchase a lot of my fabric not knowing what I am going to do with it, particularly if I find something on sale. If you really really like it - buy it. I agree with the others - you will regret if if you don't. Isn't wasteful. The quilt on my avatar is made from pieces and stuff I had in my stash.

Blog Entries
    Buy it for your stash. You'll be amazed at how often you'll kick yourself if you don't. And Little girls grow up and have your grandbabies! I'm still using fabric I bought when my 50 year old daughter was much, much younger - LOL.

Power Poster
    If you love it that much - buy it. Did you know that fabrics have a shelf life? Well they do and if you hesitate too long, it won't be there for you. Besides, sometimes fabric has to age, like fine wine. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnewbie View Post
    Would you buy it even if you had no idea how to use it? I'm obsessed with the Posy line and am dying to make something with it. But it's definitely fabric for little girl quilts and I'm already halfway done making the quilts for my little girls (and have at least three more projects in line with fabric already picked out. Everyone I know is done having babies by now (and we're nowhere close to grandbabies). If I bought the fabric, it would honestly be with no project and no recipient in mind, which seems wasteful. But it's so lovely that I have an almost physical craving for it. WWYD?
    I have and I will again. Still mad at myself for passing up some really cute cupcake fabric

and if you really like it, buy at least 3 yd
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Have you ever had a baby quilt of your own? Make yourself, your "little girl self", a quilt, label it as such and enjoy every moment under it! We ALL have a part of ourselves that has never grown up.

Jan in VA

I made a very simple sail boat quilt, that I intended to give away. Looked too good on my couch when I laid it out to look at. So, now it's MINE. My almost here ggs can use it when he visits--------but it's still mine.
    U N T I E

Hey, I'm 70 and I am ordering the Caterwauling Tales fabrics because I saw them on eBay and fell in love with them. Who says kids get to have all the fun fabrics?

The item I saw was a kit for a bed runner, which was $$$. Did some research and found a bunch of it on another website (Bug Fabric) and I know if I don't order it (it's a retired line) I will beat myself up forever.

That fabric in a bed runner will rock my bed!

I say go for it. Inspiration will strike.

Definitely buy it! The right project will come along sooner or later. And then you'll regret not having the fabric.
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
    Definitely buy it! The right project will come along sooner or later. And then you'll regret not having the fabric.
    I've got a piece I bought in Virginia in 2001---------beautiful butterflies-------------I will NOT use it for anything..Well, maybe an appliqued butterfly quilt made out of butterfly fabric
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
    Hey, I'm 70 and I am ordering the Caterwauling Tales fabrics because I saw them on eBay and fell in love with them. Who says kids get to have all the fun fabrics?

The item I saw was a kit for a bed runner, which was $$$. Did some research and found a bunch of it on another website (Bug Fabric) and I know if I don't order it (it's a retired line) I will beat myself up forever.

That fabric in a bed runner will rock my bed!

I say go for it. Inspiration will strike.
    every piece of that is cute. Go for it!
    U N T I E

Aren't we all little girls at heart? Buy it for you

Blog Entries
    if money is not an issue buy it. But you may find fabric you love so often in the future that will have more than you can ever use. I am the thankful recipient of a ton of fabric but I hate that my friend spent so much on the fabric and could now use the money.
    Patski
    always learning

I would say buy it. I fell in love with a fabric a year or more ago now and DIDN'T buy it and I think about it often. I think it was South Seas or Timeless treasures and was something like the Cat in the quilt room and had cats playing with fabric, etc--and I loved it. But I didn't get any. And yes, I wish I had.

Back in the day when I used to make my own clothes I found some fabric I absolutely loved. I bought it not knowing what I was going to do with it and eventually found a pattern for a two-piece dress that I made and it was one of my favorite outfits.

I agree with the others - life is too short to have regrets down the line, wishing you had purchased the fabric. Sometimes I just enjoy looking at my fabric!

I think you should buy it. I don't regret the fabrics I've bought but I'm haunted by some that I passed on and couldn't get when I went back because it had all been sold.

i agree with everyone else . buy it there were more than a few times i wish i would have and didn't

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast