Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: If you fall in love with a fabric...

If you fall in love with a fabric...

Would you buy it even if you had no idea how to use it? I'm obsessed with the Posy line and am dying to make something with it. But it's definitely fabric for little girl quilts and I'm already halfway done making the quilts for my little girls (and have at least three more projects in line with fabric already picked out. Everyone I know is done having babies by now (and we're nowhere close to grandbabies). If I bought the fabric, it would honestly be with no project and no recipient in mind, which seems wasteful. But it's so lovely that I have an almost physical craving for it. WWYD?

Buy it - if you're thinking about it enough to be writing about on here, it says a lot.

Life's too short - you'll regret it if you don't.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You never know when some little girls comes along that may need it badly Maybe that "little girl" may even be yourself. Make yourself a neat little quilt just to have.

Get it. The perfect project will suddenly appear and you'll be prepared.

Blog Entries
    I'd buy it! I've been known to do that. I once bought a whole bolt (16 yards) because I absolutely LOVED it. I'm still able to use it too. Still absolutely LOVE it too! I've not bought material in the past and regretted it. I had moments when I was looking in my stash for that perfect material and I remembered where I saw it and it was in the shop. Where it still was. I've learned. Good luck with your decision. If you can afford it, buy it. If not, then it's not worth the price.
    Go forth and sew!

You could buy a couple of charm packs and save them for later.

And what's wrong with making this for you?

http://missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse?q=posy

Jenny also has several tute's for using charm packs.

And buying the charm packs shouldn't break the bank.

87% of the fabric that I buy falls into this category. I say get as much as you want. If I have no idea what it will be for, I get at least two yards. If I do what it will be used in, I get more.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnewbie View Post
    Would you buy it even if you had no idea how to use it?
    YUP! Most of my stash is acquired that way. Last year I admired the "Ruby" line by Timeless Treasures in the Hancocks of Paducah catalog. I rarely buy fabric lines but I really, really liked that one. But I was strong and resisted. Week before last I got an email for a two day sale from Hancocks. An extra 30% off everything, even sale stuff. So I hopped on line to do some browsing and guess what was on sale? Yup, and yup. Been there, done that and got the fabric to prove it and it was like Christmas when I came home to that box on my doorstep last week.

If you have the funds, buy it and get several yards.

I agree with all of the above posts, and especially with Boston1954 and felinefanatic - get at least 2 yards of whatever pieces you like, so that you will have flexibility when you do come to use it. Nothing quite like being 3 inches short of your focus fabric in the perfect pattern...three years after the fabric pattern was retired!

Alison-Been-There-Done-That

Banned
    When I worked at Joann Fabrics it happened ALL THE TIME! We would get a new gorgeous print in and someone would buy the whole bolt.

Blog Entries
    there have been so many posts on here asking to find fabric that is out of print/stock. i say buy it and buy plenty!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I am like you - I am always afraid that I will spend the big bucks for the material and have no use. I still haven't gotten to the point where I can buy 2-3 yards of a material for no reason. I think I will be the kind of quilter who buys as she needs. Keeping the stash to one closet.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

I have fabric that at the time I had no planned project for. Although it's a kid's fabric, I think it's the perfect kid's fabric. I have 2 yards of all the different pieces of the Dr. Seuss fabric.

You will come across a pattern that fabric just fits and if you don't purchase the fabric to have on hand, it will be your "should have" quilt. Nothing else will measure up and will be a substitute.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Have you ever had a baby quilt of your own? Make yourself, your "little girl self", a quilt, label it as such and enjoy every moment under it! We ALL have a part of ourselves that has never grown up.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Def get it. The project will "materialize" at some point.
    Have you considered things like Beach bags or other tote-type bags or a bureau-topper or the birthday parties that your little girls will inevitably be invited to and need a gift...or, or
    Have fun!

Go for it, then there are no regrets later.
    Sheena

I would buy it - I have several collections that I fell in love with - I love having them and when I find the perfect pattern I use them in the meantime I still love to look at them.

If you love it and it won't break the budget, BUY IT ! That is one of the most common ways I am building 'My Stash". I take the advice of every one and get at least 2 yards so I will have enough for a project. Every single piece of fabric I have has 'spoken' to me at the time of purchase.
    Mary

Sew much fabric, sew little time

Blog Entries
    If I fall in love with a fabric, I probably buy 2 or 3 yards of it and come up with a pattern to best show it off!!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

When I bought most of my stash I had no idea what I would do with it. I knew I wanted to make lots of quilts and if I live long enough I bet I will use it in quilts.
    If I wanted that bad I would buy several yards. Some pattern will come to mind sooner or latter. It would be a shame not to have enough to make it with.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have been more sorry for the things that I have not bought than the things that I did buy. HTH
    Nikki in MO

Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    Buy it - if you're thinking about it enough to be writing about on here, it says a lot.

Life's too short - you'll regret it if you don't.
    I agree. Buy it if you can.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I can show you a closet full of fabric for which I had no specific use when I bought it. I do use it, wouldn't buy fabric any other way. Always gives me something else to shop for also -- fabric to go with the fabric for which I had no specific use!!! I just love it all.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

I'd say buy it. Heaven knows I've done it enough. Just be sure you get enough to do something with. My rule of thumb for fabric I really love is three yards. If it calls you that way, though, you should get it even if you just sit around and admire it!

How about making a wallhanging for yourself and you can be the 'little girl'?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast