Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you had $1000, which machine would you purchase? >

If you had $1000, which machine would you purchase?

If you had $1000, which machine would you purchase?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 AM

I would have to go with another Bernina. They are such work horses. I have one that is almost 42 years old and sews beautifully. I finally purchased another one with more options but I would say that's a pretty good testimony to how the Bernina's are made. I sewed for 4 children and had a small sewing business at one time so the original one got a lot of use. How old is yours?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks for all of your input. I have researched the Janome 6600 in the past, and it looks like a great machine. The Bernina QE is way out of my budget, and there is only one dealer in this area sadly. How in the world do you get prices for the Janome online? I am having NO luck with that! :-) There are 2 dealers locally, so I will check them out....would like to have some info on pricing for negotiating before I go.......thanks again!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM

The newest one I have is the Esante but I use my old machines the most. They seem to sewer straighter without wiggling around, I wouldn't trade my New Home (Janome) Memory Craft for anything. It has the best applique stitch. It all depends on what you are using the machine for. I had to have an embroidery machine, have 3 and they aren't used that much. Shame on me. Featherweight and Singer 301 are favorite straight sewing machines. I have 7 machines including a treadle I'm thinking of selling but it still sits.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM

I might add that the Brother 1500 mentioned here a few times is on sale for $599 if you look. That's just a great deal for a solid work-horse mechanical. It does just do a straight stitch but it has a high-lift, auto thread-cutter, pin-feed, knee lever and 9" of harp space. Mostly metal. That leaves $1200-$1300 for a very nice computerized model with the decorative stitches and free-arm. Also, you might like to check out the janome 6300 ($999) that does not have the accufeed or as many stitches as the 6600 but if you go with 2 machines, that might be ok because the 6600 has plenty (enough for sure), but not a load of decorative stitch patterns anyway. The Janome 5200 is nice for the stitches and does NOT eat fabric but no auto thread-cutter. It has everything else. BabyLock/Brother has some nice models too at around $1000 with many stitches and features plus the excellent auto threader and cutter.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl View Post
If you could add just a LITTLE more $, I highly recommend the Janome 6600P ... you can likely get one from $1200+. It is such a versatile machine, it offers so much more than other hi-speed straight-stitch-only mechanical machines (like Brother 1500 or Juki etc) You get the hi-speed, all metal workhorse machine, plus built in dual-feed, speed control, a large harp & lots of stitch selection. It's the Best of both worlds !
I agree - this would be my recommendation also - I have had my new Janome 6600 for about a week. I did a lot of research and I have not been disappointed thus far. Very user friendly, easy to use and stitches beautifully. The table topper I FMQ today came out great - so I am a happy camper

The decision is a hard one - but as others have said, do your research and test drive the different machines. I haven't seen this machine for less than 1300 though.