Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy? >

If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy?

If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
I have several vintage machines on my list: a long bed black 301 Singer, a 500 Rocketeer, a 401 that works better than the one I have now and a couple more Necchi's. Anything left I would spend on accessories for my vintage machines.
I forgot to add a Singer 15-91 to my list...gee I hope I have enough money!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 AM

i vote for janome as well... get what you want in it... if you only "stitch" be sure it's fast and quiet... how important is embroidery?? for you, but most of all be sure "the repair guy" is good , friendly, dependable and close by!!!! good luck.. enjoy.. bj
Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by earlylace
Originally Posted by Candace
If I only had $2,000 I'd put it in the bank and save up for the new Janome Horizon.
I agree, would love to have the Janome Horizon!!!!!! :thumbup:
I would rather have the Pfaff 4.0 Quilt Expressions; IDT would be there, has a 10 inch neck (Horizon has 11" neck) and the Pfaff is less expensive. But that's just me. I love my Pfaffs, old mechanical and embroidery.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by SueJ
I have been saving money like crazy so that I can buy a better machine. What would your advice be?

All I know is that I am writing down what I want in a machine and taking it to Every machine. I am going to sit down and really try out that machine. I will not settle for less than what I want.
Syl
Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM

What type of use for your new investment?
Do you piece alot? I have found that quilt classes usually require alot of piecing....so the auto thread cutter is a critical feature for me. You usually get the needle up needle down on most machines these days, knee lift is always good. If you are interested in any Janome machine, you can go to janome.com, select a machine then click on comparison for two other of their machines....it will list out their features so you can compare. For example: Janome 6600 has Accufeed, 1000 Stitches per minute, 7mm stitch wideth, 150 decorative stitches, One step buttonhole, Auto thread cutter, needle up, needle down, and start top button for sewing without a foot control. Then you can put in two other Janome machines to compare those features. Take a "quilt sandwich" to various dealers and try it out on the various machines,,, compare price and service history (service tech at the store will tell you how often he sees certain machines) look for the features you want and will use the most. Then go for it.
Happy hunting
Have Fun
D in TX
Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by SueJ
I didn't have enough time to also add that I want a long throat area to fit big size quilts (once I get one made!). I haven't even tried machine embroidering but I would like it to be an option down the road. I currently have a 1990's model Viking Husky & a Pfaff 2027 quilting machine but it does not have a large throat area at all.

I can go higher then $2000.00 but it would just be longer before I could buy it but I am willing to save to get something that will last me for years!!
If you want a large throat space that also has some fancy stitches I'd save your money and get the Janome 7700. Look around and you may be able to find a dealer who is willing to come off the 2999.00 retail for that machine. It comes with 17 feet, so you don't have to spend money on accessories.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 AM

Like some of the others said - look around and try out different machines. I went to a local quilt show last year and the Bernina dealer had some excellent sales. I bought a Bernina Aurora 440QE for almost 2k off the list price. It was used during the show so only had a couple of hours on it. After you find the machine you like ask for a deal. Perhaps they have just what you want that has been traded in on a pricier model. I did that with my Pfaff 7550 that I have had for almost 16 years and it runs beautifully. It was made in Germany and has the built in walking foot. Also have the Viking Mega Quilter which pieces well also but is only a straight stitch machine meant for quilting tops. There are good deals out there -- you just have to find out which fits you best by TRYING them out. Good Luck :thumbup:
Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by pvquilter
Save a little more and get a Bernina. They are the best.
I agree. I would get a Bernina.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Huskqvarna viking, I have two and i love them both. very expensive, but worth it...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 AM

new Bernina with stitch regulator