Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy? >

If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy?

If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM

I got the Bernina 440 QE for that amount with the BSR. Later I added the embroidery module and I found that on eBay. Love both.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM

You should also try out the Baby Locks as well as others to see what you like. They are like cars not eveyone feels the same way.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I'd buy another Juki. One for the frame and one for the table. Yum!
yep I agree, a mid-arm for the frame
Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
What is BSR?
Bernina Stitch Regulator--an attachment that keeps your stitches even in free motion quilting. There are four settings depending on what you prefer. One setting makes it so that the machine sews when you move the fabric, and it stops when you stop. You can use the foot pedal or the button. It just depends on what you like. I had a problem with mine (a loose connection) and Bernina replaced it under warranty. Works great now.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 AM

I would buy the embroidery unit for my Pfaff Creative 4.0. When I bought the machine my husband told me to buy the unit but like an idiot I said I wouldn't use it that much. Boy did I regret that decision.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:45 AM

I would decide on what features I desired in a machine and for what purpose I plan to use the machine. If you are going to quilt on the machine then you want one with a wide throat and even feeding. If you are going to do a lot of embroidery then you want one that you can hook up to a computer and download patterns. If you are going to do applique you want want that has stitches you like for that. Higher end machines have more options, but don't necessarily sew any better. I would make sure I get it from a local authorized dealer and they will bargain with you. Save what money you have left for fabric!

My personal preference would be a Pfaff. The IDT can't be beat. I have owned many models and wouldn't settle for less. And, no, I'm not a dealer or have any connection. hee, hee
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 AM

I love my Berninas. I waited a couple of years before I replaced the worn out Bernina. I would do that again if I had to.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by bevster
I have Bernina 440QE - and the one thing I can't understand why Bernina calls it a QE Quilters Edition as it doesn't even have an automatic thread cutter. Also, the bed is very small to use when machine quilting your quilt. I paid more than $2k for it and it does not have the embroidery attachment. It needs to be serviced one a year and that is expensive. If I was to purchase a machine again I would get another machine with "built-in" thread cutter; built in embroidery with large screen
USB port to download additional designs; long arm bed at least 11 inches, and a drop-in bobbin. This is only my opinion, however, I am sure other Bernina 440QE users agree with my statement regarding the automatic thread cutter and bed base.
I don't care about the thread cutter, but a longer base would be nice. There are Berninas with longer bases, but being all metal, the machine I have is already heavy. The larger machines seem like a lot to haul around if you want to take it to a class. My husband and I travel in our RV, and I like the more compact size.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM

Machines are like anything else, some fit your needs better than others. 2 things I abosolutely would look for are long base and needle up, needle down, the feed that goes up and down is nice too.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Don't make any hasty decisions. I searched machines probably 6 months before I bought mine. Go to the different shops & test drive them. Go to any shops around & test drive. Then go back & test drive AGAIN & AGAIN until you are sure. Get the feel of the machine. See what you like & don't like. Take a small notebook with you & jot down the likes & dislikes. But what I really recommend is buying it from a sewing machine shop that will stand behind it. I bought my first Bernina 11 yrs ago & it was a lemon. A total lemon. The shop kept saying it was something I had done every time something would go wrong. All I did was turn it on & sew! I sure gave that shop some negative advertisement! I just purchased my newest Bernina 440QE last April (from a different shop) & I am going Sat. to see about trading up. There's nothing wrong with my new machine thank goodness but there are more features on one a couple steps up that I like so I'm going to see what the shop will give me for it. My new machine has been wonderful thank goodness but I want more! LOL I know greedy. So make sure you buy it from a reputible sewing machine shop & they stand behind their machines. Also if you do your own quilting of your quilts, check out the throat space. Make sure there's plenty of room to get that quilt thru there! A needle up & needle down option is WONDERFUL.