Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you had Just $30.00 to spend... >

If you had Just $30.00 to spend...

If you had Just $30.00 to spend...

Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
it'll be gone in five min.. I have no will power...
Thats what I was looking for, someone as weak as I am! HA!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:41 AM

I like to go around and pick up lots of bolts and than at the end I ask myself if I really love and adore them. Usually it is easy to put most of them back- there are so many fabrics out there that it is good to be picky.

I am working on a scrappy quilt (and will be for some years at this rate) and am always looking out for fabric for it, but when I see one I love I only buy the minimum cut, so it is not much outlay.

Can't resist the bargain bin though! Got a lovely little bag of 1.5 inch strips which my LQS had made up as a rag rug kit. Obviously no one is rag rugging and they had loads reduced from $25 to $5 and I enjoyed playing with some fabrics I would never have bought otherwise. Used it for Christmas cards incl the one in my avatar. I resent paying loads for dingy Christmas cards so this was a real win win getting the lovely fabric and being able to make unique ones myself very cheaply. Didn't buy any other fabric the day I got that (got some fabulous Egyptian cotton thread in variegated colours, but that's another story)
Old 12-15-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Well, since I only need a FQ, I'd look around and blow the whole wad and probably more! Quilting is my therapy and shopping for quilt-related stuff is part of that therapy, so I wouldn't want to mess with my therapy, would I?
:thumbup: Atta girl!! :thumbup: :mrgreen:
Old 12-15-2010, 05:49 AM

I would get what I need but I would also look around and see what else there was to look at. Batiks are my weakness!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:18 AM

The rule I usually follow (and this has a lot to do with the fact that I pay so little for my fabric anyway) is that if I like it, I get one yard. If I love it, I get three, and if I can't live without it, I get five. I don't come across the last very much, but I've got quite a few one and three yard cuts laying about!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:20 AM

Matter of fact...I just thought of one I got last week that would make a perfect border on the quilt I'm working on! lol
Old 12-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Alright, MommaK- what would YOU do with it????? :D:D:D
Old 12-15-2010, 06:24 AM

A new book always snares me.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Only $30 to spend?!?!? What torture! I am lucky if I get out of any LQS without dropping at least $100. Thankfully I only go into a QS (in person or on line) once every 3 months or so. So I guess that is just a tad over $30 per month so not so bad. I would get what I need and hope I had some left over to blow on some of those batiks!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:15 AM

It's funny you should ask this. I told my SIL that I waned a GC to Joanns for Christmas. So, I'll be in this exact position a couple of weeks from now.

I've got 2 jelly roll quilt tops done, that need borders. I'd buy matching fabric for those. Also, I desperately need new little scissors. Mine are getting dull, except for the very tip. I'd also buy some random fat quarters and notions. I hope it all goes that far!!! lol

I love some of yours answers. Such a variety.