Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you had Just $30.00 to spend... >

If you had Just $30.00 to spend...

If you had Just $30.00 to spend...

Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I would walk in, turn right around and head to Joann's with my 40% coupon and get twice as much. And still have money left for a Happy Meal....LOL
Does Joanns have these coupons in the store, with the ad? Or do I have to get one ahead of time?
It depends, I get their ad in the mail, and sometimes they slip a coupon in my bag.
Last week the cashier had a 40% coupon near her register and used it on my order.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by wvdek
I have learned I only get what I need. I went in with a particular fabric in mind, if I find it that day, fine, if not, save money for another day when I will find it.
In todays economy, I cannot afford to be willy-nilly with my money. Besides, why have more fabric sitting around that I will probably never get around to using? Fondle, ooo and ahh over the fabric, and leave it be. Not worth the hassle.
This is what I would do- hopefully!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 PM

If the $30 was in a gift card at the LQS - I would look through the entire store (it's a day out for me!). I would find the sale fabric. And then I would look for light backgrounds with different color motifs. As a scrapper, I NEED them. I am having a terrible time finding them at Joann's. Gift card ? - I'd spend it all. $30 cash is another thing entirely! That would probably go in my wallet for things I really need.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

I may have only $30 cash but I'd sure have my credit card with me too. I didn't start quilting until my kids were almost in college so scrimping or budgeting hasn't been a factor for me for quilting. Sometimes I'm so glad I didn't quilt when the kids were young. I was always broke then. LOL. I crocheted because it was not expensive at all. I would never be married to a man who I had to worry if he would get mad at anything I did or didn't do.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Get my needed fabric first, then IF I had any money left, spend just as close to that as I could get with other fabrics, if I could make the decision. My fabrics are my "VICE". My son tells me I don't drink, smoke, or gamble, or buy expensive "anything" so have to have something to make working bearable. Love that boy!!! He is the one that just bought my Singer (1925) hand turned machine for Christmas. Of course, I just helped him pay for a new rifle stock for his hunting rifle...his only "VICE".
Old 12-15-2010, 05:08 PM

I don't really collect fabric in the hopes that I'll figure out what to do with it later. I usually only buy what I need for whatever project I'm working on. Occassionally I will buy something outside the project realm if I'm at a fabric store out of town and fall in love with a fabric I HAVE to have and I don't know I'll ever see again (like the denim with the embossed velvet filgree design).

So if I had $30 I'd buy what I need. If there was any left over I'd see if I could buy something that I liked.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM

I would use the $30 to get what I came for.

Then I would use my credit card to buy the other goodies I want. :P :P
Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 PM

I'd get what I needed first and hope there was money left over and head to the batiks.