Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had ......

Unhappy If you had ......

$250 to spend as you please quilt wi and the only requirement was you HAD to spend it on yourself. What would you buy?

I've got a Bernina 440QE with the medium and large hoops, lots of thread, plenty of fabric and a pimped out sewing room. But can't decide how to spend my $$.

Need some suggestions please!!!
    Gold and Silver are made purer and stronger by Fire.

I think I need to see photos of what a "pimped out" sewing room looks like?!
    As for spending the $$$ ..have you ever sent a quilt out to a Long Arm pro..... its is quite a treat if you have not ever done it. There are plenty of great pros here on the board.

Blog Entries
    Ohhh wow!!! My head reels with all the STUFF that I could get!
    I would probably stick with the more costly items... the things that you oridinarly can't run out and buy.
    Without knowing all the "Stuff" that you already have, it's hard to suggest anything.
    ~~Fabric Resource Center...now does that sound more impressive than "Fabric Junkie" ?~~

Well, how about that quilt kit that you always wanted to do but didn't have the money to spend?

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    What about EQ 7 or another type of quilting design software? Do you already have a nice tv or surround sound in your quilting room? Have you been eyeing any new attachments for one of your machines? How about using it towards a trip to a quilt shop hop you and a couple of friends plan yourself?

all kinds of books
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I have a Koala Quiltmate IV table, 32 inch flat screen tv, 2 Otto Lights, Lazy Boy reclining loveseat, most of my fabric is going towards charity quilts. My dil has my quilt to stipple for me. Hubby has already planning on putting the cables and cords for my tv and direct tv box in the wall and the boxes in the closet so they're not seen and the equipment is then truly wireless. I bought Ikea mesh baskets and frame to hold my fabrics. I have a stereo already in there but don't listen to it much.

Don't know of any fabric that I want for myself..... Embroidery software I'd like to have is over $1,000.00. Not really into designing any quilts.....

There's a bit more info so please put your thinking caps on for me!!!

Don't really know about a trip. Looking at ankle surgery about the time of my closest shop hop. Going to India soon but can't use the debit card there that the money's on. Also, can't cash it in.

Keep the suggestions coming please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I think I need to see photos of what a "pimped out" sewing room looks like?!
    LOL I agree!!

So we are good for fabric and thread, and can I assume a "pimped out" sewing room contains any and all gadgets you could need/want? If that is the case, then perhaps sending an item out for longarming is a good choice, or maybe adding to your book or magazine library? Is it safe to assume there are no classes you would like to take or new techniques you would like to learn? I have to confess, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one... I have such a tiny fabric stash and so few gadgets and tools that I would have that money spent in a heartbeat! Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

A good table to sew on perhaps? I love my sewing table that has the lift in it. Or a serger, I serge the edges of all my finished quilts before I bind them. it makes it some much easier to bind them that way.

Those that "can't wrap their minds around it" tell me what you'd like to have. Might be something I have't considered. As far as the sewing table have a great one and no more room to put anything like that in there.

Have a serger (even though) I haven't used it in years. Not too big into books and have a ton of patterns and fabrics I want to use but have no time (working on lots of charity quilts and commission things lately)

Please be specific!!!! Have a great chair I got at Ikea. Don't think I could have found a better one. Large ironing board so that's out. DVD player in the sewing room.

Have a wonderful dil that will do all my stippling for me and right now I don't have anything ready for me to make.

Any ideas!!!!! Doesn't matter how big or small!!!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    An AccuQuilt GO
    Alto2 Cutting system-
    Best Serger I can buy- one that threads itself
    New Iron that doesnt shut off after 30 seconds but glides like butter
    Shirt press- to press the blocks all at once
    Every single color of Essential cotton thread from Connecting threads
    Fq's of the month club from 5 different 'clubs'
    Every template, & ruler notions from Joannes
    A one-time thorough house cleaning crew for a day
    weekend spa treatment- mani, pedi, facial, waxing and massage
    NEW storage system to organize- cabinets, bookcases, shelving units
    Full line of 1930's fabrics from Keepsake Quilting
    Full Line of Civil War Fabrics from Keepsake quilting
    Tons of Super Sachel/ art bins to keep my projects/UFO's organized
    Bobbin keeper stuff- the pink u shaped ring to keep the thread from unraveling and the snap topper to keep bobbin and spool together
    More Bobbins for all of my machines
    lifetime supply of assorted needles- quilting, jean, universal, etc
    Roll of batting or two depending on price..
    lifetime supply of assorted interfacing, steam A seam, heat n bond, fusibles
    Prairie Point Rulers.. all 3 sizes
    New over head light fixtures to spot light where I need it - I LOVE mine.. Made a HUGE difference
    A handful of assorted seam rippers of a few of your favorites..
    A couple of Gingher scissors and nippers in different sizes..

OK- I think I spent that $250 already...
    Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 01-20-2012 at 09:48 AM.

It would make a great down payment on the hardwood floor I have always wanted.

Fabric and more fabric - or for something completely different - donate it to a good cause lke quilts of valor or quilts for kds.

Blog Entries
    If you don't want to go anywhere, how about flying a friend in to visit with you? Someone that you haven't seen in awhile but would love to?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Have the hardwood floor. Part of the pimping out process. Girl came in yesterday to clean....day at the spa....could go with that. Have serger (haven't used in forever), have plenty of rules. Hadn't thought about the faq of the month or threads from Connecting Threads....hmmmm. Haven't totally ruled out the Go (had a chance to get one a while back and passed it up). Love my iron already.....

Keep the ideas coming please!!!!

Buy me a ticket to fly to A quilt show miles away!!!
    Carolyn

I hoard fabric so there would be NO problems there spending the cash at the local fabric store......

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    ok i added to my list.- Ive got no more ideas.. . I had to walk in my room- look around and typed what I saw for ideas to give you... lol..

I love my room..Its a really nice size but could always use more 'space' (of course)... if I can make an addition, now we'd be talking....
    Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 01-20-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Don't be in a rush and make a rash spending decision until you KNOW you can't live without something particular. If it were me, I would buy the entire line of Stonehenge fabrics - or at least, as many 1-yard cuts as I could get with $250.00. I would wait until it is on sale again at Thousands of Bolts and "feast"!!

Power Poster
    Are there some special feet that you would like for your Bernina? Will the 440 take the felting foot and sole plate? A couching foot? The magnifying glass set for your Bernina. I just treated myself to a set at $60. Tickets for a special quilt show coming up with an overnight stay? A rolling tote with several cases that fit onto the handle for going to workshops? If you have a LQS close maybe a special workshop and supplies?

I recently got the cutwork plate. They didn't have the straight stitch plate for my foot and sold me the wrong one. So they replaced it with the cutwork plate.

Magnifying glass is a good idea. Or either get my glasses changed. Not to big into going to workshops and such especially since I'm working. And with me going to India in a short while and having ankle surgery there won't be any days of vacation left. Same with the workshops or classes at my LQS.

I've had the card since Christmas. Going to my local Bernina shop (where I have a $50 card to spend) tomorrow. Will see if there's anything there.

Please keep the ideas coming!!! There are some very good ones that I'm adding to my list of considering them.

Thanks!!!!

Blog Entries
    Do you have an Accu cutter they are about that cost....... and they are great to have

How about maybe buying some fabric that you like and know that a special friend would love to have and gifting them the fabric as a quilting angel. especially if it is someone who is tight on the budget department. You will feel great at giving a gift to someone who could use it and know that they will always treasure it. or you could take your dd or grandbabies to a special event like a movie and dinner or maybe toy shopping for the grandbabies. just some thoughts. or maybe a new mommie who doesn't have a lot getting her some really cool baby stuff she could use and making a baby blanket. just some thoughts.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Go to a quilt show and take some classes? Save it until the want bug hits?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast