Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you have one of these machines.... >

If you have one of these machines....

If you have one of these machines....

Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 PM

I have a babylock crescendo. I like it ok. If buying today, i would go with the Aria which doesn't have the sensor pen or laser light and is less expensive. I do like the great lighting. I probably should have kept my bernina 153, but the LQS has a persuasive saleman (owner) and great service. Had a viking several years ago: the bobbin would jump up and the thread would tangle. The owner of that store was very unhelpful and treated my friend (who bought a high end machine) badly.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:16 PM

I purchased a Janome 7700 in November after having sewn on Bernina's for 30 years. I would have gone for the 8900 if I could have afforded it. The lighting is wonderful, and you do just pretty much thread and go. Was an easy learning curve. I just did my first FMQ and some specialty stitches on my first twin size quilt and it is beautiful. Machine is heavy, well built and quiet. Stitches are even. I had some breaking thread along the way but it was because I needed a different needle and I needed to clean out the lint. The wonderful ladies here gave me all kinds of helpful advice which worked! I would definitely buy a Janome again. I did a lot of research and asking questions before purchasing. Went to the dealer and spent an hour trying it out.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:30 PM

I recently purchased the Crescendo. Love it so far - haven't sewn much on it yet. I have been really happy with my Baby Locks in the past.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:49 AM

I am not acquainted with any of the models you describe, however I have two high end machines. One is a Pfaff and the other a Babylock. I could not part with either of them. LOVE the even feed feature of the Pfaff and it's ability to do free motion quilting. The Babylock would sew through a 2X4 I think. I always tell the dealer I will sew anything I can stuff under the foot and that's no joke. Both of these machines can take the punishment I dish out and that's saying a lot. Love the thread cutter, the many utility stitches and the wonderful embroidery the Babylock does.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 AM

I sold my Janome and now have a Pfaff Performance 5.0. The IDT is better than the accufeed on the Janome. So many more features - the best machine ever!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:44 AM

I own 3 Janome machines and I'm awaiting delivery of the Janome 15000. The dealer (LQS owner) has always been a Bernina girl but is totally in love with this latest Janome. I've only recently bought the Janome 8200 to be permanently on my quilting frame - It has an 11" harp space as does the 15000. Guess it shows I'm a Janome fan.
For what you are looking at doing I would recommend the 8900.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by nvb50 View Post
None I would buy the Husqvarna Viking Ruby Deluxe or if money no problem I would buy the Husqvarna Viking Diamond Deluxe.
agreed I have a DesignerSe and a diamond-Husqvarna is always my 1st choice
Old 12-10-2013, 07:49 AM

I love Babylock! I have owned several of their machines I just kept trading up. I currently have the Crescendo and I love her.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
Please help.

I know that a sewing machine is personal and there will be many different answers to this question:

If you had the opportunity to have one of the following, which would it be? Why?

1. Brother DreamWeaver (sewing and quilting)
2. baby lock Crescendo ('' '' )
3. Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900 (sewing and quilting)

I have looked all three and like them all. I also looked at the Bernina but have eliminated this for my own reasons although I know it's a good machine.
I like the features of all; the Janome has a 9mm stitch width vs. 7mm on the others. The Brother and baby lock (made by the "same" company?) have a sideways stitch which would have saved me zillions of time on my last queen sized quilt. Are the baby locks and brothers comparable in life/service to the owner/etc?

My focus will be on art quilts of all kinds (I want to experiment) and baby things (quilts, hooded towels, etc.) and just having fun.

I will be selling my baby lock dream series quest as a condition to my husband for the new one.

If you have one of these, could you please give me your opinion of it. Is it reliable? Are you a fast, quick, hard quilter or nice and slow? Do you use the features on the machine? Anything else?

I will mention that I don't like to get to know all the little idiosyncrasies of a machine and have to fiddle with all the million little things that can get in the way of just 'getting to work." I just want to load the thread, put in the bobbin, set the stitch and go to it!

Thanks for any comments.
Somewhere on this board (big help, eh?) there's a thread with a lengthy but highly informative article about sewing machine manufacturers that you would probably find very helpful. I hope someone the board is a better researcher than I and can help find it for you. It is a detailed description of all major machines; who makes what, what to expect, etc. Once you collate all the opinions on the board, and if you can read this report (it may be titles "Too Much Information"), you will have enough to make an informed decision. Good luck and enjoy whatever machine you settle on.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 AM

All are wonderful machines each with their own strengths. The best way is to sit and try with you type of fabrics thread and sewing. Whichever you bond with is your answer. It's like a car. You drive it is it needs to suit you.