Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you have a quilt laying around you don't want.... >

If you have a quilt laying around you don't want....

If you have a quilt laying around you don't want....

Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 AM

THAT is a genius idea!!!!

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Three weeks ago Jim came from work and said that a lady there wants me to make her a quilt. (this is the third person in 1 1/2 years now). I remembered some of the statements from the other thread, and made up my mind that if this person wants a quilt from me, it will be one that is already done, AND I am putting a price on it that is fair to me. I did some serious figuring and it comes out to 19 cents a square inch. That may not sound like much, but a moderate lap quilt of say, 50 x 38 inches would be just over $360.

As someone else here said, people who do not quilt, do not understand the amount of effort it takes. (and the money) Take her shopping and let her see the prices for fabric.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:43 AM

I agree with the comments about taking her to shop for herself, then you could show her the many tutorials on the internet to learn the basics. She has sewing experience so there's no reason she can't do one up for herself! You should tell her you are simply too busy and she would much more appreciate the quilt if she puts the effort into making it herself - that's one thing you could really stress to her. Job done - be nice, but be strong. I can't stand when people try to wiggle their way into my precious quilt time.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
She said IF you have a quilt laying around? Uh, no, they have all found homes !

If you are so inclined, make a table runner for a housewarming gift. IF you want to.

Otherwise, dont respond. Silence is golden.

Sandygirl
Could not have said it any better. If she is so inclined, go with her and help her pick out everything she needs including classes so she can make it herself.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I would take her asking you for a quilt as a HUGE compliment. If I painted and someone asked if I had any paintings they could have, I would be so proud!
The problem is that with a quilt, it's the fact that the woman doesn't care what the quilt looks like, she just wants a handmade quilt, period. The ugly side of me would find all the most garish colors in my stash and make her a quick and dirty, self binding quit for her. Fortunately, I'm not that ugly (most of the time)!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
I hear ya!
If you said you might, I'm sure she heard that as a yes I will. So turn that into yes I will show you how to do it yourself. . .
Great idea! She might really be happy she learned unless she is one of those couch potatoes that likes nothing more than a good TV show all day every day.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 AM

Tell her you don't have time but she can find one on Ebay...there are some real beauties for a few hundred dollars!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 AM

How easy it is for us to get into those situations by carelessly responding "I might" when we really mean "no." I surely have done it. Why not just come out and say, "I've really given this some thought, but, you know, making a quilt is such a huge undertaking, and I realize I just don't want to take on a project like that. But if you call the local quilt shop (or something), you might be able to find someone who makes quilts for others, and you could arrange with them to make one for you." That's the kind of solution I have used once I realized what kind of trap I was getting myself into with my "Maybe later ..." kind of responses. Good luck to you!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I would take her asking you for a quilt as a HUGE compliment. If I painted and someone asked if I had any paintings they could have, I would be so proud!

You could offer to take a beginner's class WITH her. I did that with a friend and I learned a couple of new tricks and we had so much fun together! It didn't cost much and I used my stash. She thanked me over and over again for doing that for her. She said she felt too out of her element to take it by herself. I'm so glad I took it with her. Now she's a quilting machine.

Try to stay positive. It's sad to look at our gift in a negative light. Keep it as a positive gift and remember we are gifted!
I agree completely. I see this as a real compliment. Certainly if one doesn't have the time, or the inclination one has every right to decline/ help them to make their own etc. But, what a nice thing for her to say. Not everyone likes quilts.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 AM

Perhaps you could volunteer to stay at her cabin in exchange for a quilt! Considering what you'd have to pay to get a good handmade quilt, I'd say a week or two would be fair!

Last edited by quiltmom04; 04-06-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 AM

My stepson's wife not only asked for a quilt, she asked for specific colors, size, and Southwest design. she is still on the bottom of the list