Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you have a quilt laying around you don't want.... >

If you have a quilt laying around you don't want....

If you have a quilt laying around you don't want....

Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 AM

How can you call yourselves quilters if you don't have a BIG PILE of quilts ready to pass out to anyone who asks!!! LOL!!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 AM

Another thought would be to tell her that if she bought the supplies, you would come stay at her cabin & you could make it together. Stay a couple nights & if you don't get it finished by then, you could leave it there & set up another time to go back & finish it. Then you could let her know that she can work on it, herself, if she would like. She could then see what goes into making a quilt & just may take up quilting. I am always honored when someone wants one of my quilts. Sounds like, to me, she would treasure it just because you made it & it may be even more special to her if you two made it together.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM

For Christmas, I made quilts for my mom, dad, and in laws. My sister told meshe hopes to get one next year! I definitely wasn't offended, I found it flattering. If I didn't make her one, she also wouldn't nag, and we are extremely close so I know it is a bit different.
i would recommend just being honest. Prior to learning to sew and quilt, I had no clue how much time, money, and love goes into each quilt. Also unless you have done it, even hearing it all doesn't quite sink in!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
About 10 yrs ago my best friend from decades ago came over to see my new home. I had a cross-stitch sampler hanging in my bedroom that probably took over a year for me to stitch and then the frame probably cost $150.00. She saw it and asked if she could have that picture when I die. Speechless!!! I didn't know what to say!!! I don't think she wanted it as a rememberance of me, I think she wanted it because it would have looked good in her home decor at the time. Her husband was walking behind her when she said it and he said....." OMG...you didn't just say that did you?" Well, she was the kind of friend who never called me, I always called her to see how she was and she was always in the throws of some kind of drama, or she was to busy to talk to me. Anyway, I felt like I was always the friend who was making the effort to be a friend and she was only responding. Needless to say, I stopped calling her to see if she would ever call me first. It's been 10 yrs and she still hasn't called me. I still feel sad about the lost friendship....but I don't loose sleep over it....and I still have my sampler pic too, which will be going to my children upon my death....many years from now I hope!!!!!!!!
Oh, I so know this feeling...I had a friend I used to take shopping all the time. Granted, I was going most of the time, but did take her at her request a few times. She moved out in the country...I did go pick her up and take her home a couple times. I was working at the time and it just got to be too much so I stopped. She had 3 boys...I always got them gifts/money for special days whether I was t the event or not.

I have two girls...don't think either one of them ever received anything for a special event...and she was always otherwise occupied and could not come.

So, after they moved to the country, she has not been to my house one single time...she is in town all the time and I live in a small town. Recently, they moved back to town and she contacted me through facebook and told me they were living about 10 blocks away and asked me to come over...I just told her I live in the same house and she is welcome here any time. She actually acted like she might come...but that was a year ago and I have not seen her.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
How can you call yourselves quilters if you don't have a BIG PILE of quilts ready to pass out to anyone who asks!!! LOL!!

Oh, this is good!!!! LOL
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by slicksister View Post
She's family. Make the lady a quilt! Why wouldn't you? I'm flabbergasted that you would be offended that she would ask? I'd be honored.
Why wouldn't I? Because I have a zillion other things I could be doing and need to be doing. I have worked most of my life...she hasn't. She right now has more time than I do and that with me having quit work. Thank God I don't work with all that has went on in our little family...I have had a daughter in and out of the hospital several times. I take care of our granddaughter till her husband can go on and work...they live two hours away...and I am thankful they live that close.

But what really got me was I was sitting talking to her and she was not listening...no eye-contact at all. And granted, you don't always hold eye contact while talking...but you do occasionally look the other person in the eye just to let someone know you are interested/listening. It really hurt my feelings....
Old 04-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose S. View Post
Why wouldn't I? Because I have a zillion other things I could be doing and need to be doing. I have worked most of my life...she hasn't. She right now has more time than I do and that with me having quit work. Thank God I don't work with all that has went on in our little family...I have had a daughter in and out of the hospital several times. I take care of our granddaughter till her husband can go on and work...they live two hours away...and I am thankful they live that close.

But what really got me was I was sitting talking to her and she was not listening...no eye-contact at all. And granted, you don't always hold eye contact while talking...but you do occasionally look the other person in the eye just to let someone know you are interested/listening. It really hurt my feelings....
Rose, you need to go eat a box of chocolate and then hold your own - you have enough to do.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
Yes I have been nagged by some people and if I don't care for that person or think they are worthy of my time & hard work that's required for quilt making then I politely say "you know I am self taught, I bet you could teach yourself if you wanted"
I like this answer, and you could add that there are wonderful resources on the Internet for learning everything you need to know. Send her some links. Include some for places to buy fabrics and patterns. If she follows up on that she will soon get the picture. Emphasize the positive advantages: that she can make something that exactly suits her decor.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:59 AM

this reminds me of what happened to me and my BFF. I love fabric-always have-My BFF started to quilt. I would go visit and we would end up in a fabric shop-Southwest Decorative-and I would oh and ah over the fabric and end up buying some-for her to quilt for me!! She warned me after this had happened several times that the next piece of fabric I bought she would send the whole load back to me. I did and she did!!! I now quilt and and have a stash I would have to live for a million years to use. She is still my BFF and we laugh about it all the time-She turned me to the dark side!!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
If someone asks me about making them a quilt and I care about them and usually give them gifts for birthdays and Xmas I usually tell them I will consider it for one of their presents. If it is someone who has no claim on me I tell them straight out how rude they are being. But then I'm a teacher and most of my requests of that type have come from my students.
Not sure why you consider it rude if someone asks you to make them a quilt??? What is wrong with asking?