Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement >

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

Old 11-23-2011, 04:29 AM

That is the craziest thing I ever heard of.....but thanks for the warning. I had never heard of this, but will make sure I don't buy anything with a selvege with that note on it! I'm actually shocked!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:52 AM

I had just started checking the selvage and see if it says "Not for Commercial Use". I don't usually sell items (couple purses a year). If I was someone that makes things to sell they might be able to track them. With the prices designers charge for fabric we should be able to do what we want with it. Anyway I will not be purchasing any.
Thanks for keeping us informed!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:17 AM

Just another way to make the poor working people pay!!!I wilkl not buy anymore fabric like this Maybe they w get thehint Thanks for the warning!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 AM

THANK U for sharing that, THAT makes sense....... if they didnt want it used dont sell it in the 1st place ur using a peice of fabric to create something THAT is urs seriously NO ONE is saying Thats MY fabric I designed its what i used to create. Altho u never know yet another lunisy in the day in age of making mountains out of mole hills & getting something for nothing...
Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 AM

I agree totally with those who have said, let's not buy the fabric from those manufacturers. Obviously they don't appreciate us purchasing their goods and it is in our best interest to purchase from the companies who appreciate our business. I will pay more attention and will not purchase if it says that. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:32 AM

I remember that happening when the Elvis Presley fabric came out and I agree with all of you. I will not buy fabrics that have limitations on what I may or may not do with it. Let's stop this nonesense right now or we will have it put on everything we use for our mutual passion.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:13 AM

I buy mostly fat quarters so there is no selvedge. Yeah I could look and find the bolt of fabric the FQ came from but what if it isn't there.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 AM

Sometimes I buy from yard sales and thrift stores. I have no idea how long they have had it. I figure if that is all they have to do, is to chase people down that has bought their fabric and try to sue them, then shame on them and they don't need to be in a manufacturing business. They need to work for the FBI.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

How about having your customer buy the fabric and you just charging for the time to cut out, piece and quilt it for them, giving you the receipt for the fabric so you can make a copy of it? That might be a good way to bypass this. I was told by an attorney that when the seller of the fabric purchases it from the manufacturer, there is a licensing fee that they pay at that time. How many times do the designers intend to collect a fee for this material?

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i was reading the newsletter from one of my favorite quilts shops this morning and came to this paragraph:

FYI: IF you are buying fabrics to make quilts and to sell them you need to start looking at the selvage and see if it says "Not for Commercial Use" This means that you cannot make a quilt and sell it without the permission of the fabric designer! There is a lot going on right now with pattern designers and people making quilts using fabrics with this on the selvage. Right now there are some designers that are being sued over this! It's all over the internet right now so just Beware!! It doesn't make sense to me and a lot of people but it's happening now. You'd think the designer would be happy seeing her fabrics in people's quilts but some aren't I guess! Watch your selvages before buying the fabrics if you're going to sell the quilt!

so, be careful- and check those salvages- it used to be we only had to be careful about using someone else's designs---now some of the fabrics are (off-limits too)--licensed fabrics always were off limits- but the rest were ok- not anymore- so,
if you are making to sell- please be sure and request the permissions needed and keep your self safe from legal actions
Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Banned

There is a LOT of chatter about this on the quilt/pattern designer's forum I am on...wow....apparently there are some designers already sueing people. It has the whole industry in an uproar.