Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement >

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
This is so wierd-- As I was waiting for my turn at the cutting table the lady in front of me was buying fleece with sports team logos on them to make Christmas stockings to sell at her Flea Mkt booth.Another lady said what she was doing was illegal and 'Don't you read the selvedge' blah blah blah and she could be arrested I could not help but to lol at that remark. I figure once its purchased its yours to do what you want..I don't read the selvedge other than to make sure the color code is there But from now on I will make sure to not buy any CFs and to let the store know why.
What the lady buying the fleece was doing IS illegal. The team logos have some sort of trademark and copyright associated with them. Like the Disney designs on embroidery machines. You can't use them to embroider items for sale. And Disney's lawyers do find "little people" who are doing this and they deal with them.

It seems as if the fabric designers must now be copyrighting or some such thing their designs. They have a right to do so but who knows why they are.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I don't sell quilts, and I would not buy fabrics like that.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM

Well you said it best for me too Dunster! Thanks.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I don't even want to think about this. I don't want to argue about whether it's legal or binding or what "commercial" means. I just won't buy any fabric that's marked that way. Ever! And if a manufacturer has one line marked that way and not another, I just might have to avoid that manufacturer completely. So there!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Amy Butler, for one, is removing the restriction from all her fabrics in future printings. She mentions it in the FAQ on her website, along with being very clear in saying you can use her fabrics to make projects to sell or in the manufacturing of finished goods.
http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/faqs/
Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Maybe we should post the names of designers who have this "propriety issue" so we can avoid them.
That would be a good idea! What about buying on-line? Are those stores going to advise us if a fabric is marked as not for commercial use?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
In addition to not buying the fabric, let the store owners know you are NOT buying that fabric, and WHY.

I agree totally with you. This will make the point to the LQS and then they can let the MFG. know they no longer stock these designers lines. If that doesn't make a point where it hurts nothing will.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 AM

That stinks! I don't sell my quilts but I feel if you purchase fabric you can do with it as you please. I also send it to friends that quilt for charity and I certainly do not want anyone to get into trouble. What next?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 AM

Wow, I do not make items to sell but this is ridiculous. I agree we should post the names of the ones that have this restriction so we can avoid them.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:39 AM

totally agree with you.

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt View Post
Well, here's a quick fix - stop buying licensed fabrics. Do they want folks to use their fabrics or not?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 AM

this is just so stupid. If you make items to sell it means that you will be buying large quantities of fabric. Then, the company would make more money. or not?

Why would they limit the use of the fabric without limiting the sales of said fabric. They are not thinking with their right mind.