Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement >

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

Old 11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
This (http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/trademarks.shtml) is an interesting article on the ins and outs of trademark protection, and lack thereof. A lot of it boils down to the designers would like it to work like that, but don't have any legal standing. They DO have a lot of money, though, with which to hire bully lawyers to make it seem like they do.
I wish people would STOP posting this site...it is so WRONG...and quite frankly SHE does not have the time, nor the money to research EVERY legal issue there is concerning the NEW copyright laws!

YES, these designer, CAN and ARE demanding that their fabrics NOT be used in items for sale. Pattern designers too....the best thing WE can all do as a collective group is to collect the names of the designer/lines of fabric and the names of pattern designers and BOYCOTT the heck out of them.
I know many LQS owners will NOT carry patterns with limitations on them, so maybe now they will have to learn which fabric lines to not carry as well..and it is up to them and US to let the manufactures know why we will no longer support those designers...really, enough is enough...and all this makes me happy I have a large stash of older fabrics....
Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
That would be a good idea! What about buying on-line? Are those stores going to advise us if a fabric is marked as not for commercial use?
that is a VERY valid point....will be interesting to see what they have to say...going to ask my professionals groups!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM

If we can find out the names of the Designers I think we should send a letter, sign a petition, etc!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:09 PM

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...edFabric.shtml

I read through this site although I didn't follow all the links. Surely there is a difference between an artist/crafter and a major manufacturer? I certainly do not have the expertise to follow the legal tangle or come down on one side of the argument or the other. However, if it is sold at retail and I purchase it, I intend to use it as I please. Until they install a GPS signal in the threads, I hope to duck the Designer Police.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM

If they don't want they're fabric being used for commercial reasons then it's simple don't sell the fabric to LQS and if they want to do business with the LQS then it should be marked right on the display area "not for commercial use". I don't think the companies attorney's are going to visit every craft sale/flea market or LQS store to see who's playing by the rules.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM

So how is this person going to know that you are selling something you made with their
fabric! I mean thing about it.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
In addition to not buying the fabric, let the store owners know you are NOT buying that fabric, and WHY.
Giving voice to a situation is the most important thing you can do. Make it known girls! I will not buy!

EDIT: Greenheron Rocks! Jaciqltznok too!

Last edited by ube quilting; 11-21-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
This (http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/trademarks.shtml) is an interesting article on the ins and outs of trademark protection, and lack thereof. A lot of it boils down to the designers would like it to work like that, but don't have any legal standing. They DO have a lot of money, though, with which to hire bully lawyers to make it seem like they do.
I agree--seems to be a case of bullying....reminds me of a recent article in our Sunday paper about people who own beachfront homes who put up all kinds of legal-looking "no parking" and "no public access" signs in the hopes of deterring people from perfectly legal access
Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 PM

If I remember correctly, this has already been taken to court on several occasions and settled in favor of the crafter/purchaser of the fabric.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 PM

Thumbs down

I will not be buying anything that says I cannot resell it. I did not know about this welcome information but you better believe I will be looking at the selveges from now on. Thank you.