Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you only had room for one table >

If you only had room for one table

If you only had room for one table

Old 12-31-2013, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Lightbulb Maybe an idea? TV tray ironing board

I would go this route but also make an tv tray into a small foldable ironing board. I would use the large "snap on"padded top to iron larger pieces of fabric, then take it off to use the cutting board, set up my foldable ironing board, aka tv tray, to iron small pieces and blocks.

http://www.american-quilting.com/blog/?p=1908

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Your better off building a padded surface you can place on top when you need it like the ones you can put on ironing boards to make them bigger, and make it fit around the outside of the cutting portion if I am making sense

Last edited by Annaquilts; 12-31-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
What about making it 2 sided? One padded the other smooth? You could attach the padded top to the edges of the board with upholsterers tacks, you will need a minimum of 1/2 inch thick plywood to prevent flexing which will give you ample room for the tacks. You could get a piece that is 'finish grade' that you can stain or paint it to match your other furniture. When you need to cut, put a mat on top, when you need to iron, flip it over.
Just what I was thinking!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:21 AM

My ironing board is in my sewing room but my fold down cutting table is in the kitchen. No room for it in the sewing room since I put in a long arm table. It is tucked under the end of my counter top.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

i have a large laminate surface over two dressers... works great for my cutting mats. then, to one side, i have one of those tabletop ironing boards.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 AM

Well I have two surfaces. One for cutting and one for pressing. I wanted to make the surface of my cutting station slightly larger, so I went to Home Depot and bought the materials. The pressing surface was the Sharon Schamber method, and the cutting mat surface was just fake wood so it would be durable and no splintering.

I keep the cutting surface on my cutting station and then put the ironing surface over it when I need it. I even made a cover to keep the cutting surface dust free when not in use.