Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Had a great visit - but only rehomed one machine :( >

Had a great visit - but only rehomed one machine :(

Had a great visit - but only rehomed one machine :(

Old 06-01-2015, 04:48 AM

Post Had a great visit - but only rehomed one machine :(

And as usually - we cooked too much food so we'll have leftovers all week. Have a leftover cream cheese pie too, but that's not really a bad thing . . .

HelenAnn showed up first, and she got a personal tour of the machines in the shed. While I had her distracted, DH was going to sneak a few machines in her nice SUV - but she had the doors locked. She said it was just out of habit.

SteveH and Heather showed up a bit after noon, just as HelenAnn and I were heading to the house to look at the Singers. So while DH was grilling, Helen, Steve H and I started looking over the Singers. Heather stayed in the kitchen visiting with my husband, but don't let that fool you, she and my DH are both very much enablers to spouses with serious addictions! I showed them my oldest machine - the Singer MOP from 1865-1868 (don't remember exactly right now). I've been feeling very overwhelmed dealing with all my machines, and hinted that this one really didn't fit my collection, but SteveH didn't bite.

After showing off the Singers and taking a break for lunch, we headed back to the Shed so SteveH could see what was out there. HelenAnn needed to head for home, and I tried one more time to get her to take a machine or two, but instead she offered me one, a not so nice Singer VS2 - which is just what I'm looking for. So it's looking like next time I make a trip to the Cities, I'll be taking a different route to swing by Helen's place.

After looking at all the machines, SteveH set to work dismantling the Domestic treadle he was taking home with him. We took out the drawers and set them on my rolling cart, along with the bonnet. Rolled that out of the way and then pulled the treadle up to the door where there was more room. SteveH got that all apart and stowed in his car, and managed to get everything back in.

We visited a bit more, and then SteveH and Heather hit the road.

I get a text message a few hours later - Had I really offered that Singer 12? I guess it took a while for what I had said to really sink in . I'm still debating that one . . . maybe if I can find a nicer spot to display it. Right now it's tucked in to a corner of my bedroom.

And then a few hours later I get another text message - Were the bonnet and drawers still in my shed? Yup - in all the packing and such, they got left on the rolling cart in the shed. At least they are the lighter parts, and will be easier to pack up and ship.

I have learned one thing - if you want to come and look at everything - plan a long visit. AND if you have anything in particular you are interested in seeing, let me know. There is so much both in the Shed and in my house, it's easy to forget. I had wanted to show Helen my specialty Singer attachments - and got distracted and forgot all about it!

I'm still working on getting everything better organized, and that will help.

So, who wants to be the next visitor?
Old 06-01-2015, 06:03 AM

Would love to visit! Figuring out logistics might be an issue though. Lol! Think my summer is going to be pretty full.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:44 AM

Oh the frustration and leaving things behind! *Or was it bait to get them to come back?

Glad to hear you all had a nice visit! It sounds like there was plenty to eat and I am sure plenty of machines to dote on.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Even if you didn't get rid of as many machines as you wanted to it sounds like you all had a great time. I really wish I wasn't half a continent away.
Rodney
Old 06-01-2015, 10:14 AM
KLO

So nice to hear about the visit even with the forgetfullness involved. (Yea, I do a lot of that kind of thing myself.) It was wonderful of you and dh to show off your machines. Glad to hear that SteveH and new wife Heather were actually able to get there and visit. Now ...... did you or did you not take photos? And if so, where are they? I don't suppose you got to see their wedding outfits in person, did you?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:33 AM

It was so much fun to be with people who talk sewing machine the day really flew by. Cathy has inspired me to start using my attachments just to see what they do and how they go on the machines. I wonder if anyone has made a ruffled quilt? Next visit I will leave the car unlocked.
Steve had some great stories about getting chased by storms. Heather got to see snow in the mountains.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:08 PM

No pictures - sorry! With as much as I take pictures, I rarely take them of people LOL!!

They had everything packed up pretty tight, so I'll get to see the wedding gear the same as the rest of you. SteveH figured they would be getting home some time tomorrow- and then they may need to sleep for several days!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 AM

I'm pretty envious of Steve and his trip. I love road trips, but my DH isn't as fond of them so I don't go on as many as I'd like. He'd rather fly places...and I hate flying. But lighting out on my own for a multi-state road trip isn't really something I want to do either, I'm too paranoid and get lost too easily to enjoy that, LOL. (And lone road trips aren't nearly as much fun anyway.)

I will probably have to settle for drooling over your photographs, much as I would love to drive over and park my (conveniently unlocked) car in front of your shed. LOL

FREE Quilting Newsletter