Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you only had room for one table >

If you only had room for one table

If you only had room for one table

Old 12-30-2013, 06:02 PM

Default If you only had room for one table

I have this really pretty changing table that I want to repurpose into a table for my quilt room. The bad thing about it is that it has a railing that I can't remove. So I know I'm going to have to add a top - probably out of plywood. I don't really have room for separate tables for cutting and pressing. Which is my better option - to cover it with plywood, batting and fabric and then just use a cutting mat when needed? Does anyone have trouble using a mat on a padded surface? Or, should I add a top made of something like melamine and then buy yardage of ironing board fabric and cover it when I need to press?
I read a lot of great advice on this board and I sincerely welcome yours.

Thanks,
Julie
Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

A cutting mat on a padded surface is not the best idea (ironing board, carpet etc). You will have problems cutting on it. You could have an additional piece of plywood that you put under the cutting mat when you use it.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:12 PM

Cutting boards need a solid surface, ask me how I know! I too had limited space so I got a cutting board thats padded on the back for a iron surface. Nice thing about that board it can also be used for a small design wall.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:29 PM

Your better off building a padded surface you can place on top when you need it like the ones you can put on ironing boards to make them bigger, and make it fit around the outside of the cutting portion if I am making sense
Old 12-30-2013, 06:43 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I have a bit different perspective on placing a cutting mat on an ironing surface. I do it all the time.....but.....

My ironing surface is very lightly padded - only one layer of Warm and Natural batting - over a plastic trash bag (to prevent moisture from steam warping the board) and then topped with 1 layer of silver-colored ironing board fabric. This thinness makes a very suitable pressing surface for quilting because it gets the seams nice and crisp. It also is not too thick to take a cutting mat as there is little give under it.

Go for it, you'll be fine with one table if the ironing is done on a very flat surface.

Jan in VA
Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 PM

I too use my cutting mat on top of my ironing surface.Masonite for wood, 1 layer of Insulbrite, 1 layer of cotton batting, 1 layer of cotton fabric. When the top layer gets too yucky looking I just add another layer of something pretty on top ! After about 3 changes I take it all off and redo it all. I have NEVER had a problem using my mat on my ironing board and I LOVe having such a large ironing surface ( mine is 24 x 42 )
Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 PM

I would just put a wooden top on. than pad and cover another board to sit on top your cutting mat when you need to iron. It I much easier to tuck a ridged board behind a door, under the bed, or any place than trying to store floppy cutting mat.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM

What about making it 2 sided? One padded the other smooth? You could attach the padded top to the edges of the board with upholsterers tacks, you will need a minimum of 1/2 inch thick plywood to prevent flexing which will give you ample room for the tacks. You could get a piece that is 'finish grade' that you can stain or paint it to match your other furniture. When you need to cut, put a mat on top, when you need to iron, flip it over.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:24 PM

I cut on top of my ironing board regularly. I have two cutting mats the same size and just stack one on top of the other. It makes the surface firm enough to cut on. My ironing board is covered by one of those boards that makes it bigger, which I covered with Warm and Natural and then fabric.

Like I said, works for me. I don't have room for a table. The ironing board is my work surface.

Dina
Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 AM

Perhaps you could devise a system wherein you could have a cutting surface on one side and an ironing surface on the other?