Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you please, info. about your machine :) >

If you please, info. about your machine :)

If you please, info. about your machine :)

Old 04-19-2011, 08:27 PM

watch out that a pfaff is made in europe not asia----too many bad reports----i was a pfaff tragic but wavering to wards the horizon good reports about that one
Old 04-20-2011, 03:06 AM

I am getting ready to buy the Horizon this week end. It was used in a class that I took and I love it. Not sure how much it is but around 3000.00
Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 AM

Bernina 830
It does everything I need and then somw. It goes sideways, Best embroidery unit ever! My quilts look terrific. I had a quilt shop owner tell me there would be a difference, I thought she was joking. She was right. Spend the extra money. It is worth it I promise.
With all the whistles and bells, excluding quilt frames, I spend $10,328.68. (Breathe)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 AM

I have a Viking Platinum and love it. Granted, I don't do FMQ so the throat space was not an issue for me. I does have needle/up down, lots of embroidery stitches which, again, I don't really use. It is a workhorse and very sturdy which is what I was looking for. I do know they have a couple of newer models with larger throat space as well as the auto up/down foot. I paid about $1200 for mine when it was retailing for close to $2000 at the time. The Viking dealer by me will almost always discount to this level. Not sure if there are always 'promotions' going on or if there is just that much mark up. But I am very happy with my Viking. I agree the Bernina's are nice machines but way out of my price range for the must have's I was looking for at the time.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Bicycle
Hi All,

I am in the process of researching new sewing machines - and what a process it is!!! I'm sure you all have been asked these types of questions SO many times that you're tired of it, but I need help!

Okay - I'm looking at Pfaff, Bernina, and possibly Elna... I've heard wonderful things about Pfaff, so that's the direction I'm leaning (Berninas are SO expensive and I've heard mixed reviews on Elnas)...

*** I just realized that I forgot to add Husqvarnas to the list - I am looking into those too, but I don't know much about their machines and which model would be best for quilting***

If you could spare a moment, let me know:

1.) What machine you have
2.) What you love about it
3.) What you don't love about it
4.) How much you paid for it (I know this may be a rude question, but I just really need to know what a "good deal"is on these machines... I walk into a dealer and feel like I'm a sitting duck!!!)

I feel like you are all the best people possible to ask - quilters! I will be using the machine primarily for quilting. Large throat space and smooth, even FMQing are a couple of things that are important to me when quilting.

THANK YOU so much (in advance) for your help and advice :D
I have a Singer. I love it! It is simple - it has embroidery on it - not complicated - easy to keep clean - Mine is the Singer Precision - 7444. I got it on sale at Target - I paid $214.49. I have had it for almost two years now, have made about twelve quilts, different sizes - sewed other stuff - am very happy with it. There is nothing I don't like about it. It does what I tell it to do and the rest is up to me. My other sewing machine was a used White that my husband got me for our first anniversary 50 years ago, so I cannot complain about either of my machines. Specially the White. I can still use it, it is just slower than the Singer. We don't have the money to fork out on a machine that will basically do the same thing my Singer does. I bought a case for it and couldn't be more pleased. Hope that helps! Edie
Old 04-20-2011, 03:39 AM

My advice... go in like you would shopping for a car. Meander and look around without buying. Act like you were thinking about buying but not sure. All of a sudden the dealer will talk about throwing in extras or cutting the price. I called a dealer about an embroidery machine. he said $800. I said I was just pricing them and would call back when I saved some money towards it. All of a sudden, he cut $150 off the price. It was a miracle. LOL
Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 AM

"Test drive" all machines available and choose the one that seems to fit your sewing style. Consider service, too, because if something goes wrong you won't want to drive miles and miles to take it in/pick it up. That said, I ended up with a Viking Rose about 10 years ago and I love it although I rarely use the embroidery features. I Also have a Viking 100 that is 22 years old that's a good backup. We now have a reliable dealer of other brands available locally but didn't when I bought the Rose. Although many love their Berninas, we don't have a local dealer and I didn't like the way I couldn't rely on it to continue in a straight line toward the end of every seam.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 AM

I have a Brother Innov'is 4000D which I love. Before that I had a Pfaff which was one of the best machines I've ever had. When I had to get a new machine after lightening blew up my Pfaff, I went with the brother because it had so many features I wanted.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 AM

I LOVE my Juki 98TLQ. If all you want is a machine for piecing and free motion quilting, this is perfect. It only sews a straight stitch, but does it so beautifully and you never have to fuss with the tension unless you change the weight of your thread.The longer throat arm makes FMQ easier.
We paid $699. on ebay about 7 years ago. The only thing I wish is that it were lighter when I take it to classes. (I use a roller bag to transport it)
Old 04-20-2011, 04:01 AM

Bernina Patchwork edition 140 11 years ago, about $1,100 and it has never had a breakdown, it always meets my sewing needs. Is heavy but occ take it places not into too many classes so nothing I don't love about it.